• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Falcons lost both their starting safeties. Buccaneers lost their safety to another dimension. Saints need secondary help. But Panthers signed Eric Reid.

Saca312

2 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

To be fair to the Falcons (something which I hate being but hey) if you had already lost two safeties to injury, would you consider it a wise move to sign a replacement with a history of concussions? :thinking:

Not for a one year deal. Its not like we signed this dude to a multi-year, multi-million dollar contract.

10 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

It was three as of 2015, and that was over the course of just two seasons.

Whether he's had more beyond that, don't know. Not that I've seen, but I think he has had other injury issues.

Torn bicep in 2016 landed him on IR and a knee sprain caused him to miss 3 games in 2017. Doesn't really sound major. Concussions would be my only concern. His other injury history is just football.

12 minutes ago, TheRed said:

@Mr. Scot today is a great day for the team. Can you give the "realist" hot takes a rest for a few hours, and just let us enjoy this signing?

I don't do "hot takes".

My reaction to this signing is pretty much the same as my reaction to any other: cautiously optimistic, acknowledging when concerns exist.

5 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

We will see.  I think he might come back, if the team lets him.  Or he might retire.  Who knows at this point.

It's been made pretty clear that Williams is unlikely to return. Seems fairly likely that Kalil probably will (no doubt to the consternation of many).

Looking down the roster, your guess on who will take the other spot is as good as mine. There is also the possibility that somebody else may have to go on IR at some point.

I have a hard time believing it'll be Searcy though. He was looking as fragile as glass.

15 minutes ago, Bartin said:

Here are Reid's words from the original article that said he considered retirement that he disputes.

https://www.sfgate.com/49ers/article/49ers-Reid-says-he-s-considered-leaving-NFL-6317038.php?cmpid=twitter-desktop

He, per his own words, evaluated his situation with regards to concussions and that he felt comfortable still playing. So if he had to make an evaluation on whether he should keep playing then not playing was the only other possible outcome he could have reached meaning it was at least an option at one point. Seems like it's more semantics that Reid was arguing and Reid was saying that he never actually got the point where he was close to retirement. But at the very least the possibility has crossed his mind and he is aware of it.

Isn't that the article Reid said his words got twisted?  

3 minutes ago, stankowalski said:

Isn't that the article Reid said his words got twisted?  

This is a different one on the same topic.

Reid considered retirement due to concussions

It points out that Reid chose to sit out a meaningless game at the end of a 49ers season due to risk of getting hurt. Also quotes him as saying that while he decided to keep playing for now, additional concussions in the future might force him to reevaluate.

Honestly, I wouldn't blame him for not wanting people to think that he had considered retirement. That is the kind of thing that can put a team off of signing you.

42 minutes ago, Bartin said:

Well, the direct quotes I put in there weren't twisted. I think the headline that he considering retirement is what he had an issue with.

I think that's what he meant when he said that he didn't say those things.  I can do an interview with somebody and put it in my  blog or whatever and just because I put it in quotes doesn't necessarily mean that is what the person said.  Of course journalistic integrity doesn't mean the same thing to everybody.

In any case he says he was misquoted.  I am a bit worried about the concussion issue too, we've all seen this before with other players...Dan Morgan immediately comes to mind.  The bottom line is we decided to take a chance on Reid, and considering the circumstances with our safeties I think it's a good gamble.

Saints fans are already wishing Reid was in N.O. yet some of them say Reid is washed up pretty much. Some of their comments on him are:

He is a SS/LB combo, horrible in coverage against WR ‘s and catch first TE’s which is why he got moved to LB in SF so he wouldn’t be picked on so much in pass coverage. He will be good for them against the run justvas he was at LSU. But on 3rd down if he is in there I see us trying to get him stuck on Kamara or Watson which we will abuse for big yards as he will either get flagged or completely whiff in coverage.

saints should have went after breeland.

We'll see how this works out for Carolina.... I really don't have an opinion one way or the other on his "world views outside of football"... nor do I care.

Since I am a Saints fans... I look at it this way.... he is either going to help them win.... or he's going to be a locker room distraction that's not worth his play on the field.

I am also of the opinion that locker room distractions are okay as long as their talent and value on the field outweighs whatever that distraction is... and I would think most teams would think the same... Guys like Vick, Ray Lewis, Chris Carter, LT, Mike Irvin, T Owens, etc all came with baggage and were at some point a distraction (not comparing Reid to these guys - just pointing out guys that were great - and were distractions) .... but they were also insanely great players... so teams were inclined to overlook those distractions (not saying it's right or wrong to do so, but they do it).

Some Falcons comments:

Why would you not pursue Eric Reid? 5 year vet and one of the best safeties in the league. It's painfully obvious that this ATL D cannot and won't stop any team from scoring at will. Pay the man

Yeah, I thought signing his was a good move, but I think you guys are right.  Not a smart move and there are other things to consider.  I trust Quinn and TD on this.  He would be nice to have, but no way we go after him with all the associated baggage.

I doubt it has anything to do with the lawsuit. He isn't going to be back because there's no team willing to sign him. He did state he would have taken a one year deal with the 49ers worth $5.6M. The Niners refused. The Bengals also refused to offer him a deal.

Who needs Eric Reid when you have Jordan "the goat" Richards and Sherrod mutha ******* Neasman. Need I remind you that Neasman is top 10 among safeties with 5 career tackles or less?

Smart move panthers ... smart move... sigh

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

It's been made pretty clear that Williams is unlikely to return. Seems fairly likely that Kalil probably will (no doubt to the consternation of many).

Looking down the roster, your guess on who will take the other spot is as good as mine. There is also the possibility that somebody else may have to go on IR at some point.

I have a hard time believing it'll be Searcy though. He was looking as fragile as glass.

Right now I’d bet my house on the 2 people coming back are Kalil & Searcy from IR. Once Reid works out. Barring injuries. Searcy will be mainly a backup & help to avoid concussions.

Archived