• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Eric Reid being a distraction

Long as he plays well, kinda doubt it.

There's really only one question I have with regard to the Reid signing. I know Hurney and Rivera say he was the best available safety. And that makes sense.

That said, would someone care to explain to me why he wasn't the "best available player" back when we signed Da'norris Searcy?

I get that the team sale wasn't final back then, but even so, Richardson was on his way out. And even if you cite Richardson as the reason, there was plenty of time during training camp. It's not like Searcy didn't get his first concussion until recently.

Why did it take an injury for this to happen?

I have no doubt the Reid signing will give the media, espn and the announcers for the game something to talk about but I hope the Panthers and Reid ignore all the bullshit and fight their way to the playoffs and beyond. What the media cares about isn’t important now. All I care about is winning and hope the team feels the same.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

There's really only one question I have with regard to the Reid signing. I know Hurney and Rivera say he was the best available safety. And that makes sense.

That said, would someone care to explain to me why he wasn't the "best available player" back when we signed Da'norris Searcy?

I get that the team sale wasn't final back then, but even so, Richardson was on his way out. And even if you cite Richardson as the reason, there was plenty of time during training camp. It's not like Searcy didn't get his first concussion until recently.

Tepper may have had a push in the signing because he wants to win.

7 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

He and Searcy have been comparable from a play standpoint for the last couple years. Searcy has been far superior going on PFF grades in at least one year recently. My thinking is the distraction wasn't really worth it when they thought they had someone comparable but once Searcy went down desperation kicked in and they said screw it, we need the best guy available right now. The only other guy out there even close to Reid right now that is available is Tyvon Branch and it appears he hasn't recovered from the ACL injury he suffered late last year or someone would have pick him up already with all the safety injuries recently.

1 minute ago, rbsponsel52 said:

Tepper may have had a push in the signing because he wants to win.

The story as told by Hurney and Rivera was that they ran it past Tepper for approval, but the idea started with them.

I tend to try and believe these things unless I have a reason not to.

4 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

The story as told by Hurney and Rivera was that they ran it past Tepper for approval, but the idea started with them.

I tend to try and believe these things unless I have a reason not to.

If JR was here Reid would be still on his couch at home out of work. Tepper was a significant part of the deal even though it was Hurney and RR that started it. With Tepper here the Panthers will hopefully get their spot on the map finally and be recognized. I did have it backwards and apologize for it.

15 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

The easy answer is, money. 

Would have been expensive to sign him back in free agency. Now we have him pennies on the dollar. 

Archived