• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

We have to open up the offense at this point.

Snake

4 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

A pretty high percentage of defensive coaches in the league would prefer this same approach, even the aggressive ones. 

My question right now though: do we actually have the ability to "open up" the offense?

You're probably talking about launching the deep ball, and a lot of people question whether we can do that right now.

For me opening up the offense is about a mentality. We attack opposing teams weak links. We went after Dunbar hard once we got down and moved the ball short and intermediate. I agree the deep ball is lacking from this offense, but the bigger issue is whether we play with a sense of urgency on offense at the start of the game instead of when we get down by double digits. 

10 hours ago, top dawg said:

More Samuel and more CJ could go a long ways.  

Making your second rounder---perhaps your most prolific playmaker at receiver---a veritable bench warmer,  and your thousand yard power back into a tree growing roots on the sidelines is just not the most efficient path to success.  It's just not right.  It's perverse!  

This is what bothers me the most. Dynamic playmakers on the bench.

I thought we would have some plays with both CJ and CMC in the backfield. Has that even happened at all?

3 hours ago, gmonjimbo said:

For me opening up the offense is about a mentality. We attack opposing teams weak links. We went after Dunbar hard once we got down and moved the ball short and intermediate. I agree the deep ball is lacking from this offense, but the bigger issue is whether we play with a sense of urgency on offense at the start of the game instead of when we get down by double digits. 

What if Ron Rivera thinks were already doing that?

(I'd submit to you that's a very real possibility)

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

What if Ron Rivera thinks were already doing that?

(I'd submit to you that's a very real possibility)

Then he will be fired within a year or two. I think Rivera at most has one more season to prove himself. He needs to treat this season as an audition for the new owner. We will find out in PHI how comfortable he feels in the job. 

13 hours ago, Khaki Lackey said:

This is what bothers me the most. Dynamic playmakers on the bench.

I thought we would have some plays with both CJ and CMC in the backfield. Has that even happened at all?

I know that it's happened at least once. Can't vouch for anything more. 

On 10/14/2018 at 4:33 PM, Snake said:

I would understand control and clock grinding if this defense was capable of three and outs and forcing turnovers but they are not. We have to score points and keep up with teams. At our current state we need to score 30 points a game or we will lose. 

Do you really believe that when we start a drive, we do not expect to score? Of course we do. The goal is to always score.

On 10/14/2018 at 5:01 PM, Monty83 said:

Literally our team philosophy has been let Rivera roll with his instincts and have Cam bail us out when they don’t work. Doing things like wanting to establish the run early create so much risk because 1) if you’re not successful, you’ve taken the rest of your offense out of rhythm and 2) you immediately put pressure on your defense to prevent the opponent from scoring while you’re trying to establish it. EVERYTHING in the NFL has be moved to allow teams to move to more of a passing offense, which means the other things you’re trying to do establishing the run like dominate time of possession, are negated, because teams can score much easier.

We having an amazing record when we don’t turn the ball over, but we actually increase the likelihood we do turn it over by putting more pressure on Cam to have to bring us from behind throwing the ball in known passing situations, INSTEAD of simply being aggressive from the start and having the pass set up the run. Rivera relying heavily on our zone defense requires us to get pressure with the front four, but again, with the league moving more to a passing offense, we are giving up 5 yards every play, and that’s not even pointing out the fact our front four is old and isn’t generating consistent pressure. So now Rivera’s instincts are dominating self-awareness. We don’t even have what we need to be what he wants anymore. 

If we come out aggressive offensively and open it up, we give ourselves an opportunity to take pressure off of the D (and they need it) and more than anything we give Cam an opportunity to win us more games from in front instead of from behind. His greatest threat is his ability to spread the ball around and have defenses forget to account for his run. We take that away from him when we get behind and defenses know he has to pass the ball.

SO MUCH THIS

On 10/14/2018 at 5:01 PM, Monty83 said:

Literally our team philosophy has been let Rivera roll with his instincts and have Cam bail us out when they don’t work. Doing things like wanting to establish the run early create so much risk because 1) if you’re not successful, you’ve taken the rest of your offense out of rhythm and 2) you immediately put pressure on your defense to prevent the opponent from scoring while you’re trying to establish it. EVERYTHING in the NFL has be moved to allow teams to move to more of a passing offense, which means the other things you’re trying to do establishing the run like dominate time of possession, are negated, because teams can score much easier.

We having an amazing record when we don’t turn the ball over, but we actually increase the likelihood we do turn it over by putting more pressure on Cam to have to bring us from behind throwing the ball in known passing situations, INSTEAD of simply being aggressive from the start and having the pass set up the run. Rivera relying heavily on our zone defense requires us to get pressure with the front four, but again, with the league moving more to a passing offense, we are giving up 5 yards every play, and that’s not even pointing out the fact our front four is old and isn’t generating consistent pressure. So now Rivera’s instincts are dominating self-awareness. We don’t even have what we need to be what he wants anymore. 

If we come out aggressive offensively and open it up, we give ourselves an opportunity to take pressure off of the D (and they need it) and more than anything we give Cam an opportunity to win us more games from in front instead of from behind. His greatest threat is his ability to spread the ball around and have defenses forget to account for his run. We take that away from him when we get behind and defenses know he has to pass the ball.

From your lips to God's ears.

But, I assure you with 100% confidence, *not* to Ron Rivera's ears.

Archived