• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Let's make a loose comparison

UpstatePanther

I see alot of similarities between some games we've played this season, and games we played in our last two successful seasons. Just curious for your thoughts.

1) Our season opener this season was reminiscent of the Jacksonville opener in 2015 and the Buffalo home opener last year. An early-season, low-scoring affair that we controlled for most of the game. 

2) The week 2 loss to Atlanta this year reminded me of the loss to Atlanta in 2015, and the loss to Philadelphia last year. A game where the Panthers didn't quite come prepared and made a few miatakes but kept it close enough and fought hard enough to really find alot of hope after the loss. 

3) The Cincinnati game is similar to the (hot as hell) home opener against Houston in 2015, and the late-season win against Minnesota last year. These three were games where the Panthers battled hard against a quality opponent, playing good football and defending a lead at the end to earn the win. 

4) Our heart-stopper against the Giants this season reminded me alot of the OT win over the Colts in 2015 and the Detroit game last year. Games where the Panthers got out to a 2-possession lead and squandered it, only to gut out the win. 

5) and the Washington game reminds me of the Chicago game last year, and Super Bowl 50. Games where the Panthers just could not get out of their own way. Embarrassing losses that didn't define the character of the team shown by it's record. 

I wrote this thread for that last point, though I hope the others spark some discussion too. My point in writing all this is that after an exercise in the 24-hour rule, I'm confident this loss doesn't define our team. Did the Chicago game define our season last year? No. As heartbreaking as Super Bowl 50 was, did it define our season? No. 2015 is still the best season we've ever had. Thankfully, the team has time to rebound from this embarrassment. We have to do it against a team that is at home and is in a surprisingly desperate position. But we can hope in the fact that the teams the Eagles have beat have a combined record of 4-14. The record of teams they've lost to? 8-8-1. Exactly .500. The Eagles aren't a top team in this league so far this season. They arent to be underestimated, much like Washington, but they are vulnerable. If the Panthers get back to what they did in the Cincinnati game, they will win and perhaps win comfortably, even in Philadelphia. Like Zod said, everything is still in front of us, including the division crown. Until proven otherwise, I believe this team will turn things around and win 11-12 games. 

#KeepPounding Panther fans

4 minutes ago, stbugs said:

I won’t be as rude as the other guy, but I have to agree. You are really reaching here. Houston wasn’t a quality opponent in 2015. Ryan Mallet was the QB against us and they started 1-4 with a win against Tampa. They were a paper 9-7 due to a crap division who they went 5-1 against.

Also, comparing early season games to late season games doesn’t work when RR teams almost always play better later. That made your comparisons more of a cherry picking and I’d bet you could look at 2014 and 2016 and find similar games to our start this year if the context doesn’t matter. 

All good points. 

One thing I know about this team if you’re keying on trends and similar games.  The common denominator with the Panthers is they play better against an opponent they’re picked to be destroyed by, just as they struggle in games they “should” easily win on paper.  If our schedule gets tougher on paper, I have more faith in getting W’s.  The caveat of course is that we have the talent to compete, and we definitely do.

oh, that and other teams who have to play a backup QB against us are destined to win or come real close for eternity.

5 hours ago, UpstatePanther said:

I see alot of similarities between some games we've played this season, and games we played in our last two successful seasons. Just curious for your thoughts.

1) Our season opener this season was reminiscent of the Jacksonville opener in 2015 and the Buffalo home opener last year. An early-season, low-scoring affair that we controlled for most of the game. 

2) The week 2 loss to Atlanta this year reminded me of the loss to Atlanta in 2015, and the loss to Philadelphia last year. A game where the Panthers didn't quite come prepared and made a few miatakes but kept it close enough and fought hard enough to really find alot of hope after the loss. 

3) The Cincinnati game is similar to the (hot as hell) home opener against Houston in 2015, and the late-season win against Minnesota last year. These three were games where the Panthers battled hard against a quality opponent, playing good football and defending a lead at the end to earn the win. 

4) Our heart-stopper against the Giants this season reminded me alot of the OT win over the Colts in 2015 and the Detroit game last year. Games where the Panthers got out to a 2-possession lead and squandered it, only to gut out the win. 

5) and the Washington game reminds me of the Chicago game last year, and Super Bowl 50. Games where the Panthers just could not get out of their own way. Embarrassing losses that didn't define the character of the team shown by it's record. 

I wrote this thread for that last point, though I hope the others spark some discussion too. My point in writing all this is that after an exercise in the 24-hour rule, I'm confident this loss doesn't define our team. Did the Chicago game define our season last year? No. As heartbreaking as Super Bowl 50 was, did it define our season? No. 2015 is still the best season we've ever had. Thankfully, the team has time to rebound from this embarrassment. We have to do it against a team that is at home and is in a surprisingly desperate position. But we can hope in the fact that the teams the Eagles have beat have a combined record of 4-14. The record of teams they've lost to? 8-8-1. Exactly .500. The Eagles aren't a top team in this league so far this season. They arent to be underestimated, much like Washington, but they are vulnerable. If the Panthers get back to what they did in the Cincinnati game, they will win and perhaps win comfortably, even in Philadelphia. Like Zod said, everything is still in front of us, including the division crown. Until proven otherwise, I believe this team will turn things around and win 11-12 games. 

#KeepPounding Panther fans

We need to go on a three game streak to set ourselves up because right now I anticipate a 9-4 or 8-5 record heading into the final three games against division opponents in ATL and NO.  In 08 the Bucs were tied with us at 9-3 going into the Monday night game in CLT ( I attended the game) and they were projected before he game to win the division but lost all the remaining games and missed the postseason with their HC getting fired.  Granted, we aren’t the same team as them but the schedule is looking a little sketchy if we don’t start putting the game in the hands of our talented QB and let Ron coach up the D.  We have to cut out the “scared to lose” playbook and pull out the “love to win” playbook.

15 hours ago, HornetsSting said:

Frankly, if I had to choose between 6-10 and a complete new coaching staff and GM or another meh one and done 11-5 season, I’m taking the former all day every day.

And that, my friends, is what it looks like when a fanbase shoves its own collective head up its own collective ass. 

Archived