• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

A dose of sanity for those in need.

Jeremy Igo

4 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

Tepper dressed up as Cam four weeks ago. He loves Cam. 

Cam still probably has a couple good years left in the tank. He just needs to be the second guy making the wins happen, not the fallback option he’s been for so long. McCaffrey needs that role. 

McCaffery, Samuel, Moore, and Thomas will need that role as well, along with young guys on the defensive side of ball like Donte Jackson. I think Kuechly still has a couple good years left in the tank, but the defensive line needs a total overhaul. Our defense has been the true "second guy" making the wins happen during the Rivera/Cam era.

Panthers have been truly exposed by the total collapse of what was consistently a top 5 defense the last few years. 

They have all the right ingredients on offense, it's just a matter of can they build that defense back up to championship caliber next year? If so, MAYBE Cam has another run or two in him. Especially if he can totally buy into Norv's offensive style. And most importantly they have to get back to KNOWING they can win and buying in, without that, forget it.

Cam will have to do some major soul searching for what kind of QB he wants to be moving forward. He can't be the leading rusher on ANY team ever again if he hopes to have a few more years in the NFL.

8 minutes ago, Raleigh PF said:

Is there a hurt...good? :thinking:

He should be shut down for the rest of the year and opportunities given to Heinicke. It's not as though Heinicke is going to take Cam's job, but it would go a long way towards making him a valuable backup for next year. This year, they've essentially been playing without a net.

No one knows how bad Cam's injury is, but there does need to be some planning in the event the next version of Cam is a shell of his former self. It's just due diligence on the part of the Panthers.

I know he can't finish a game without his arm giving out.

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

I know he can't finish a game without his arm giving out.

And that's a good point. Thinking about it now, he does seem to fade pretty steadily in the second half.

I HOPE offseason surgery (if they go that route) is successful, but shoulder injuries don't always turn out well.

34 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I'm not a doctor of any sort but I've watched enough football to know when somebody is playing hurt.

Newton is hurt...bad.

Exactly, and I'm still placing my bets on that shot from T.J. Watt's helmet directly to his shoulder, that went unflagged thanks to the incompetent refs this league seems to love having, is what re-injured his shoulder. He was playing amazingly before that game and then after that hit was when he stated to show signs of inaccuracy on throws that he was making earlier in the season. Cam being Cam knows that it is hurt but being such a competitor wants to be out their to help since technically he can still play. This is where coaching comes in big time. Ron knows Cam is hurt and yet still wants Cam to be able to play as if nothing is wrong with him and that is just an unrealistic expectation. Ron doesn't have the balls to tell Cam, or any of our other guys for that matter, that the true way to help the team is to sit and give the injury some time to rest and heal. I good coach makes these decisions but Instead he throws them back into the fire where things just get worse and worse like what is happening with Cam and exactly what happened to Greg's foot injury. The real question, however, is it because Ron doesn't have the balls or is it because he is looking for any excuse he can make since he knows his job is on the line (and likely over for sure after today's game).

Remember that gigantic holding call on Munnerlyn?  Check this out...

“I was like, ‘Ref, what do you want me to do in that situation?’” Munnerlyn continued. “He said, ‘I just saw that you had him.’ I was like, ‘But the quarterback was already sacked. His explanation was, ‘I don't know. I might have missed that one.’ That's what he said.

“That's a critical play, man. How can you say, ‘I might have missed that one?’”

24 minutes ago, Shocker said:

“I was like, ‘Ref, what do you want me to do in that situation?’” Munnerlyn continued. “He said, ‘I just saw that you had him.’ I was like, ‘But the quarterback was already sacked. His explanation was, ‘I don't know. I might have missed that one.’ That's what he said.

I want to get up in arms about it, but i don't know that it would've mattered.  We could've found a way to been up 10 in the 4th qtr, and I think this team still would've found a way to lose.

6 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

I want to get up in arms about it, but i don't know that it would've mattered.  We could've found a way to been up 10 in the 4th qtr, and I think this team still would've found a way to lose.

You are probably right but you need to sure when you are giving up an automatic first down on 3rd down.  Of course the officials league wide have been fairly poor IMO.

1. Cam is not done.

Cam Newton is injured. His throwing shoulder requires surgery this winter. If you weren't aware, a shoulder is pretty much everything when it comes to throwing.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rapoport: Newton "not expected" to have offseason shoulder surgery

NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport has the latest on Panthers quarterback Cam Newton and his sore throwing shoulder

I mean they do have it posted on Panthers.com 

https://www.panthers.com/video/rapoport-newton-not-expected-to-have-offseason-shoulder-surgery

1 hour ago, Shocker said:

Yep, that and the mystery hold that called back our TD as well, which means essentially 14 point difference thanks to the fuging refs. We had 10 penalties total while they had 7 and while some of the ones that they had called help us, we got hurt the most by them. What makes things worse is if you look at the stats alone and didn't know the score, you'd swear we had won. We have the better numbers in pretty much everything: T.O.P 33:50 to 26:10, 1st downs 22 to 12 though most of them were on 1st or 2nd down since we were only 5 of 14 then, Total yards 393 to 348, and even turnovers 2 in our favor to their 1. The one stats that kills me and seems to have been the story of this offense thru this losing streak was that were in the red zone 5 times and only came away with points 2 times.

2 hours ago, ichigo1057 said:

Exactly, and I'm still placing my bets on that shot from T.J. Watt's helmet directly to his shoulder, that went unflagged thanks to the incompetent refs this league seems to love having, is what re-injured his shoulder. He was playing amazingly before that game and then after that hit was when he stated to show signs of inaccuracy on throws that he was making earlier in the season. Cam being Cam knows that it is hurt but being such a competitor wants to be out their to help since technically he can still play. This is where coaching comes in big time. Ron knows Cam is hurt and yet still wants Cam to be able to play as if nothing is wrong with him and that is just an unrealistic expectation. Ron doesn't have the balls to tell Cam, or any of our other guys for that matter, that the true way to help the team is to sit and give the injury some time to rest and heal. I good coach makes these decisions but Instead he throws them back into the fire where things just get worse and worse like what is happening with Cam and exactly what happened to Greg's foot injury. The real question, however, is it because Ron doesn't have the balls or is it because he is looking for any excuse he can make since he knows his job is on the line (and likely over for sure after today's game).

Well....Maybe he is hurt, but here's the deal, that pass to Wright on fourth down was ALL mechanics, had not one thing to do with hurting. Cam threw that ball off his back foot like he does all the time and it sailed high. And for an injured arm, man, that thing was traveling so fast that Wright didn't even have time to adjust to it. 

And on their last drive when Cam threw the INT, he had Ian Thomas in the middle of the field with no one within 10 yards of him. Doesn't matter if Funchess ran the wrong route, or Cam just made a bad throw. The fact is, he was going to Funchess no matter what and didn't even look at another option.

8 minutes ago, Dragoon11 said:

And for an injured arm, man, that thing was traveling so fast that Wright didn't even have time to adjust to it

An injured shoulder doesn't necessarily mean a person can't put some blazing speed on the ball. Look to another sport as an example, Baseball. Plenty of pitchers have had a bad shoulder and still been able to throw a wicked fastball however the accuracy is usually affected due to the injury as one adjusts to compensate for the pain. The fact of the matter still stands that earlier in the season, even when throwing off his back foot, Cam made those types of passes and now, after that hit and likely re-injury, he is missing them.

Archived