• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cam Newton’s future interesting read from David Newton

raleigh-panther

24 minutes ago, Growl said:

To say we don't have a smart FO and then offer up the same stupid "rational guy" approach that has kept the Bills from being relevant since Jim Kelly left is laughable.

The whole "just get a guy who can come in and win some games" cliche is sweet smelling poison. Its what keeps teams stranded in the cellar indefinitely.

And its certainly not the "rational" approach. Its indecisiveness and a fear to confront what's on our plate, and its the worst possible decision the team can make.

Feel like this is directed at me somehow.

Do you know more about Cam's shoulder than I do?  I doubt it.

You can choose to believe that it's time to move on from Cam.  I can believe that it's not.

You want to craft an actual succession plan, with trades, picks, and cuts involved?  I'll play along.  Until then, you are just spinning your wheels.

Also, what do you think is the most likely outcome here?  That you are right and we choose to move on, or I am right and we work with him for at least 1 year if not 2, to figure out if he can still play?

12 minutes ago, je1005 said:

Anyone feel that Cam might be dealing with some psychological burnout at this point? 

I’m a fan of his work, but I do wonder about this sometimes. It’s pure speculation, of course. 

He has a family now...lots of responsibilities even outside of family and football.  Certainly possible.

The “I wish they would figure this out sooner” comment from Ron is disturbing.  I guess he has no knowledge or input.

The fans that want that "next" QB right now are conveniently making no mention of the laundry list of QB's this team trotted out in the years between Delhomme and Newton. They think it's snap your fingers and done. People call me a Cam only fan, which is bullshit, but even I remember vividly David Carr out there with those white gloves.

There really is zero reason to draft a QB this year rather than next year when we will most likely have a higher pick (sorry but realistic truth fellas) and have way better QB prospects, AND possible have a new coach and GM, AND have Cam at 100% to mentor/compete with the draft pick, AND have the oline and dline fixed.

This year needs to be spent on fixing the lines and if we're not playing Cam a vet FA to get us a few wins should be signed this year.

The future coaching and QB position should be addressed in 2020 for a multitude of reasons.

2 minutes ago, TheRed said:

The fans that want that "next" QB right now are conveniently making no mention of the laundry list of QB's this team trotted out in the years between Delhomme and Newton. They think it's snap your fingers and done. People call me a Cam only fan, which is bullshit, but even I remember vividly David Carr out there with those white gloves.

Only 32 dudes in the world at a time can do NFL QB...bout half do it well.  Amazingly hard to find a good one.  No doubt.

Just now, NanuqoftheNorth said:

The Panthers can't afford to go into 2019 without a viable backup for Cam, Norv has been quoted saying as much.

Hopefully, Norv is as successful finding a future starting/backup QB as he was finding DJ Moore. 

He will a genie to do that shet, seriously 

54 minutes ago, TheRed said:

We all know we've had shitty QBs in the past.  So what.

Dude - you say the same thing over and over.  We get it - you like Cam.  Anyone who says anything about moving on from Cam is probably a racist.

But do you have a thoughtful recommendation? All you ever say is we don't appreciate Cam, there are no good QBs in the draft, we have no cap to get a good free agent or trade for a guy, etc.  Is your recommendation the Panthers sit around and hope Cam can feel better by next year?

0-11 on deep throws and what was he last year? Not even close either and the excuse was we didn't have a burner. Balls weren't even close to receivers he literally just heaved it in the air. This is alarming enough. He's only going to work out if we run a college spread offense, which is really what we ran this year. With no threat of going deep especially with all the speed we have now, he might as well be a one armed QB. We need to look at the future starting in the draft. Knowing Hurney he'll take a LB from Alaska University in the first. 

3 minutes ago, grimesgoat said:

We all know we've had shitty QBs in the past.  So what.

Dude - you say the same thing over and over.  We get it - you like Cam.  Anyone who says anything about moving on from Cam is probably a racist.

But do you have a thoughtful recommendation? All you ever say is we don't appreciate Cam, there are no good QBs in the draft, we have no cap to get a good free agent or trade for a guy, etc.  Is your recommendation the Panthers sit around and hope Cam can feel better by next year?

Race hasn't been mentioned in this thread.

I've made multiple posts about addressing the QB position moving forward even today. If you're too much of a lazy ass to read and comprehend then that's on you.

4 hours ago, TheMaulClaw said:

I think David Newton is dead on....but he's saying things people don't want to hear.  The fans have an emotional tie to Cam unlike any other player in Carolina pro sports history.  Whoever has to make the decision to move on from Cam is going to be a very very unpopular guy, even if it's the correct decision.  I think that's what we're looking at with the Panthers right now.  

Unfortunately I think the issue is worse then what happened with Luck.  Luck went through surgery at a younger age.  When it comes to sports....there's a big difference from having a surgery at 27 and rehabbing at 28 then doing it at almost thirty and trying to make a come back at 31 when you're a running QB who's just going to get hit again, oh and he's only under contract for one season when he comes back  Cam will be an unknown commodity making an ungodly salary when he's finally ready to play.  When he does come back he won't be the same player...he's going to be protecting that shoulder. 

I really hate to say it, because Cam has been such a good advocate to the city of Charlotte and the Carolinas. He's been larger than life for almost a decade here.  He's done the right things.  He's good to the kids, and has amazing charities.  The idea of Cam not being our qb just seems weird and unnatural.  He's the first person people of think when the words Carolina Panthers are uttered.

We're at a crossroads here....because if we want to win football games.....then we need to find a QB this offseason.  Life is too short.  As much as I love Cam I don't want to watch a wasted 2019 season because we're afraid to find a good QB that can lead our team.  

Cam's fate depends, in my estimation, on how well the QB does next year.  Whether we sign a guy, it's Allen, or we draft a guy.....if the QB for the Panthers in 2019 performs well and leads us to the playoffs....I would have to say it's probably the end of the road for Newton in Charlotte.

You are very right Imho

that is why I shared this article 

some of the people on here responding have no depth of problem analysis and they think it is ever so cool to condemn someone else’s thoughts if it’s a writer they may Or may not like but the facts are facts and not being able to throw further than 20 yards is an issue in college much less pros 

it will be very interesting to see how Rivera and Hurney handle this as their jobs are certainly at stake 

4 minutes ago, TheRed said:

Race hasn't been mentioned in this thread.

I've made multiple posts about addressing the QB position moving forward even today. If you're too much of a lazy ass to read and comprehend then that's on you.

Do you read your own posts?  I went back and read them again.  There is nothing constructive there.  No ideas. No recommendations. Just the usual shitting on other posters and complaining about everything that went wrong except for our shitty QB play down the stretch.  Congrats on getting through 6 pages without labeling multiple posters racists - but we all know your schtick. 

1 minute ago, grimesgoat said:

Do you read your own posts?  I went back and read them again.  There is nothing constructive there.  No ideas. No recommendations. Just the usual shitting on other posters and complaining about everything that went wrong except for our shitty QB play down the stretch.  Congrats on getting through 6 pages without labeling multiple posters racists - but we all know your schtick. 

I blocked him and forgot why.  Thanks for reminding me.

Archived