• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

CMC was 2nd in the league with 62 broken tackles this year

Ricky Spanish

10 hours ago, Hammerin'Cam1 said:

We finished 7-9 though with no playoffs ...

Nobody cares about a player who puts up numbers on a losing team ... like I said, if we were in the playoffs I'd be as happy about McCaffrey as anybody

If this were to be true, and it's not.  Would you like to take away Cam's OROY award and the accolades he received his rookie, record breaking year?

CMC was the best Panther in 2018.  That's not saying much, but it's the truth.

IF Cam can get his shoulder right, I can see CMC's touches diminishing, but if not?  He will only become more valuable.

1 hour ago, GOOGLE JIM BOB COOTER said:

i explicitly stated that it's not his fault

e: also cam can throw beyond the LOS lmao what are you even talking about there

He can't throw deep which is my point. 0-11 over 30 yards, somewhere around 9-35 over 20 yards.  So on throws 20+ yards Cam was 9-46.... so yea he could but just barely. Hell Allen in one game did something Cam hasn't done since 2016, complete a pass that travelled over 40 yards in the air. 

43 minutes ago, TheRed said:

Why is it the "I'm a fan of the Carolina Panthers not one player" posts don't ever seem to show up when people are touting CMC's numbers in a losing season?

QB's unfairly assosciated with both wins and losses. Qb's are the face of the franchise so they harbor more criticism naturally. It's why Aaron Rodgers got a ton of grief this season when his stats were fine but the team was losing. It's why Tony Romo got a bad rap when he was the only decent thing on the cowboys for years and their defense weas garbage. It's why Drew Brees was constantly being left off top 5 QB lists while the saints were struggling to go 7-9 year in and out.

QB's are automatically tied to the W-L record, regardless if it's their fault they actually lost or not. 

It's a lot easier to defend the production of a RB than it is a QB in a losing season. Thems the breaks. 

28 minutes ago, carpanfan96 said:

He can't throw deep which is my point. 0-11 over 30 yards, somewhere around 9-35 over 20 yards.  So on throws 20+ yards Cam was 9-46.... so yea he could but just barely. Hell Allen in one game did something Cam hasn't done since 2016, complete a pass that travelled over 40 yards in the air. 

Do you care to actually cite some sources on this at all, or are you just going to keep throwing out numbers with no context whatsoever to speak of?

If you actually look at the logs, his passing averages the last 4 years are fairly close. It's the Y/C that has gradually gone down the last 2 seasons. Coincidentally beginning with the year Ted Ginn departed. Which can be directly attributed to our receivers displaying a penchant for lacking the ability to create separation and get YAC. Which makes it even more baffling knowing how long our head coach kept guys like Samuel and Moore riding the bench until it was too late.

984j7p.jpg

I've been a Cam defender when necessary, and I've criticised him when warranted. The same for C-Mac. When he was dancing around, I said that he needed to learn to hit the hole with authority. Now that he has adjusted to the pros, his game is exceptional. Cam's game during the skid was anything but exceptional. To try and blame McCaffrey in any shape, fashion or form for our offensive troubles as opposed to blaming those who turned the ball over, and Cam's errant throws and inability to push the ball down field, simply makes little sense. The offense can go through C-Mac, or any other player who gets as hot as he did, you just have to have a proficient QB who can make the throws necessary to extend and finish off drives, and better ball security by every playmaker not named C-Mac.

"We won't be efficient throwing it to McCaffrey underneath, teams won't respect Cam's deep ball."

Cam was hurt and couldn't throw the deep ball.

"The passing yds avg is low because we keep force feeding it to CMC."

Because pressure was getting there, Funchess runs terrible routes, Olsen was hurt, and Rivera wouldn't play DJ Moore nor Curtis Samuel which left CMC as the only player getting open at a position where the route is commonly the check down. Oh, and Cam was hurt.

"When CMC gets the ball more, we lose."

CMC was getting the ball more because we were constantly playing from behind. Cam has to get it to his best playmakers, and CMC was his best playmaker.

"Cam is the offense."

Cam. Was. Hurt.

"Cam can throw it passed the LOS."

Yea, BUT HE WAS HURT and the throws were neither as accurate nor crisp as they typically are.

"The offense needs to run through Cam."

HE WAS HURT, HOW IS THIS ESCAPING YOU!?

"We should be throwing the ball further instead of forcing Cam to throw it to the Huddle's favorite white RB."

giphy.gif

13 minutes ago, TheRed said:

Do you care to actually cite some sources on this at all, or are you just going to keep throwing out numbers with no context whatsoever to speak of?

If you actually look at the logs, his passing averages the last 4 years are fairly close. It's the Y/C that has gradually gone down the last 2 seasons. Coincidentally beginning with the year Ted Ginn departed. Which can be directly attributed to our receivers displaying a penchant for lacking the ability to create separation and get YAC. Which makes it even more baffling knowing how long our head coach kept guys like Samuel and Moore riding the bench until it was too late.

984j7p.jpg

here

Here

Then watch his press conference where he talks about his shoulder. 

4 minutes ago, carpanfan96 said:

here

Here

Then watch his press conference where he talks about his shoulder. 

Neither of those links lend credence to your argument that he couldn't sling it in 2017 as well. Those are specifically about 2018 where he was very obviously injured because he took a direct helmet hit to his throwing shoulder.

Where we will be this time next year is anyone's guess obviously. But for the time being I'm going to give Newton the benefit of the doubt until I hear something definitive from an actual doctor that knows something about the specific condition of his shoulder currently.

On the throwing to CMC thing, people scream like hyenas if CMC is open underneath and the ball doesn't go to him. Yet in the same breath they'll lose their poo saying we have a nonexistent deep passing game.

Maybe the answer is to spread the ball around altogether more? Maybe we actually could have used a second RB worth a poo to compliment guys like CMC and Cam instead of handcuffing the offense by making it go through one player whether that be Cam or CMC? Either way the results are the same. We still haven't won a championship.

Stop buying into the status quo, and ask why evolving takes so long with this team.

1 minute ago, TheRed said:

Maybe we actually could have used a second RB worth a poo to compliment guys like CMC and Cam instead of handcuffing the offense by making it go through one player whether that be Cam or CMC?

We had one.

He's currently helping the L A Rams win games because our coaches thought he deserved an opportunity at a better situation.

2 minutes ago, TheRed said:

Neither of those links lend credence to your argument that he couldn't sling it in 2017 as well. Those are specifically about 2018 where he was very obviously injured because he took a direct helmet hit to his throwing shoulder.

Where we will be this time next year is anyone's guess obviously. But for the time being I'm going to give Newton the benefit of the doubt until I hear something definitive from an actual doctor that knows something about the specific condition of his shoulder currently.

He has had a combined 25 the past two seasons in which the Panthers have had to rest his shoulder during the week so he could play on game day.

From the first link. 25 completions over 25 yards the last two seasons. 32 in rookie season, 25 in 2015... ext. 

Then we can go here

9.6% of throws went over 20 yards in 2017, lowest of his career. 15 completions over 20 yards. Compare that to 2016 when Cam was the 4th most accurate qb on throws over 5 yards. Compare that to his other seasons when he was near the top in the NFL in completions over 20 yards.

All the evidence is there. 

5 minutes ago, TheRed said:

Maybe the answer is to spread the ball around altogether more? Maybe we actually could have used a second RB worth a poo to compliment guys like CMC and Cam instead of handcuffing the offense by making it go through one player whether that be Cam or CMC? Either way the results are the same. We still haven't won a championship.

If Olsen and Cam are both able to come back next season and play at a high level, it is absolutely vital to the team's success to make sure that Curtis Samuel and DJ Moore are on the field as well.

At that point, it really doesn't matter whether it's Armah, Wright, Thomas, or whomever the RB2 is out there to fill out the 11th spot on the field.

I want so, so, so bad to see that next season along with an OL consisting of Moton/Van Roten/Draft Pick/Turner/Williams. If we can upgrade Van Roten as well, let's fuging go!

Archived