• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Kyler Murray expected to enter NFL Draft

unicar15

6 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

I'm under the assumption that he would want to be a top 15 pick in the NFL draft because in that range he'd at least get the $15M fully guaranteed contract that he's looking for. I'm also under the assumption that an NFL team would want a guarantee from him that he will try football first before going back to baseball regardless of what the A's do.

Didnt u see the previous post which said they would wave their rule and allow them to pay him more money. More money=baseball. and its less stressful on the body.

11 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

I'm under the assumption that he would want to be a top 15 pick in the NFL draft because in that range he'd at least get the $15M fully guaranteed contract that he's looking for. I'm also under the assumption that an NFL team would want a guarantee from him that he will try football first before going back to baseball regardless of what the A's do.

That "guarantee" would be worthless.

5 minutes ago, micnificent28 said:

Didnt u see the previous post which said they would wave their rule and allow them to pay him more money. More money=baseball. and its less stressful on the body.

This. I hate baseball, but given the contracts, expected career lengths, and wear and tear on the body, if I had the choice between a professional career in MLB or the NFL, I'm going MLB all day everyday.

17 minutes ago, micnificent28 said:

Subsequently, didn’t you see my post that noted the sizable gap between the amount of money that mediocre baseball players make and the amount that mediocre NFL players make?

Murray can cash in on a $15M deal up front if the A’s pony up, but what happens if Murray is a flop? Do you think he’d rather get paid $500K to ride the Greyhound to Hickory, North Carolina to play the Crawdads or would he rather sit on the bench in Denver, Colorado making $10M a year as a backup.

He may choose to bet on himself and play baseball but if he flops he’s going to have left A LOT of money on the table from the NFL.

Not to mention he could always try the NFL up front and return to baseball later due to the typical longevity of a baseball players career. If he elects to play baseball first then try football later he won’t have near the amount of interest or make the amount of money that he could have due to his age.

22 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

That "guarantee" would be worthless.

Hardly, guarantees are made all the time and usually the play out in the intended way.

The kid is talented and though the MLB is green lighting a $15M guaranteed contract up front front, the A’s may not be willing to pay a kid that has no professional baseball experience. 

22 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

This. I hate baseball, but given the contracts, expected career lengths, and wear and tear on the body, if I had the choice between a professional career in MLB or the NFL, I'm going MLB all day everyday.

And you may not make it to the MLB.

High school/college athletes have a 10% chance of getting drafted into the the MLB but only a 0.015 chance of playing in the MLB, by far the lowest number out of all the major sports (NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB, MLS).

1 minute ago, MillionDollarCam said:

And you may not make it to the MLB.

High school/college athletes have a 10% chance of getting drafted into the the MLB but only a 0.015 chance of playing in the MLB, by far the lowest number out of all the major sports (NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB, MLS).

Now let's see the odds for a 1st rounder which is what Murray was. The odds get skewed hugely when there's 40 rounds of draft and three levels of minor league play.

10 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Now let's see the odds for a 1st rounder which is what Murray was. The odds get skewed hugely when there's 40 rounds of draft and three levels of minor league play.

Only 66% of first round picks make it to The Show as where 100% of NFL players drafted in the first round (save a medical issue) make their opening day NFL roster (during their first year).

If Murray declares he’ll be a first round pick.

So $15M and nearly a coin flip on whether or not you make it to the MLB, keep in mind mediocre baseball players make much less than mediocre QB’s.

OR

$15M and an automatic gurantee of being on an NFL roster come September, not to mention the ability to still make millions (i.e. Case Keenum, Kirk Cousins, etc.) even if you are average.

11 hours ago, MillionDollarCam said:

Murray can cash in on a $15M deal up front if the A’s pony up, but what happens if Murray is a flop? Do you think he’d rather get paid $500K to ride the Greyhound to Hickory, North Carolina to play the Crawdads or would he rather sit on the bench in Denver, Colorado making $10M a year as a backup.

Exactly, and he’s going to be stuck in the minors for 2-4 years, and the salary is frankly appalling. He won’t be able to negotiate a new deal until six years in, assuming he makes it that far. Endorsement deals for minor leaguers aren’t a thing either, which is even more wasted money up front.

Archived