• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

PC Builders..

Ivan The Awesome

On 1/30/2019 at 7:55 PM, Arroz con Panther said:

How do you like the ultrawide monitor? I'm scared it's going to be to much...I already don't look around enough on my screen that I have now. Everyone enjoys them though.

OP, you should post your parts list on https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/ and https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapcsales. You'll have to filter out what some people say, but you'll get some good advice and someone will find good deals for you.

Go get yourself an ultrawide, and you'll never look back. it's pretty damn amazing. 

• 2 weeks later...

BTW  if you buy from Ibuypower you can use Affirm internet financing( with approval)   I bought a $2200 desktop ( paid about 250-300 more than I could doing it myself) but I got a nice warranty and I couldnt' afford 2200 out of pocket at the time so the Affirm deal worked great for me.   I think I made $180 payments for 12 months.  Turned out great so far. PC is a year and a half old now and not even the slightest hitch.

21 minutes ago, TbTeRRoR said:

BTW  if you buy from Ibuypower you can use Affirm internet financing( with approval)   I bought a $2200 desktop ( paid about 250-300 more than I could doing it myself) but I got a nice warranty and I couldnt' afford 2200 out of pocket at the time so the Affirm deal worked great for me.   I think I made $180 payments for 12 months.  Turned out great so far. PC is a year and a half old now and not even the slightest hitch.

I also bought an iBUYPOWER (from Best Buy) and it's a fuging beast. Came with a warranty and they actually used quality parts/brands for the build.

• 3 months later...

I'd wait until the 3000 chips come out to buy either. Chances are the prices of the 2000 series will come down even more when the 3000 releases. Then you can decide between the 2700, 3700x, or even the 3600 and 2600 chips depending on where you want to allocate your resources. I would also think about if you want to overclock or not. I have a Ryzen5 1600 that I overclock to 3.7 ghz without even messing with the voltage but I do have an aftermarket cooler rather than the standard one. I would recommend getting RAM of at least 3000mhz as Ryzen benefits quite a bit from fast RAM. I'd take a look at the AMD rx570 and rx580 graphic cards as an alternate to the 1050ti or 1060 as well because they are very competitive performance wise and can often be found cheaper. Here's a build coming in under 700 and the motherboard is going to have ryzen 3000 compatibility with a bios update if you want to upgrade in the future. The power supply leaves you a little head room if you want to upgrade your graphics card in the future and need a little more juice to run it.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/YMG9V6

On ‎2019‎/‎06‎/‎10 at 3:46 AM, CarolinaSock said:

I'd wait until the 3000 chips come out to buy either. Chances are the prices of the 2000 series will come down even more when the 3000 releases. Then you can decide between the 2700, 3700x, or even the 3600 and 2600 chips depending on where you want to allocate your resources. I would also think about if you want to overclock or not. I have a Ryzen5 1600 that I overclock to 3.7 ghz without even messing with the voltage but I do have an aftermarket cooler rather than the standard one. I would recommend getting RAM of at least 3000mhz as Ryzen benefits quite a bit from fast RAM. I'd take a look at the AMD rx570 and rx580 graphic cards as an alternate to the 1050ti or 1060 as well because they are very competitive performance wise and can often be found cheaper. Here's a build coming in under 700 and the motherboard is going to have ryzen 3000 compatibility with a bios update if you want to upgrade in the future. The power supply leaves you a little head room if you want to upgrade your graphics card in the future and need a little more juice to run it.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/YMG9V6

I love AMD cards and I'm really not a fan of Nvidia, but with this build I would have to recommend the 1660Ti, which can be had on ebay for $230 https://www.ebay.com/itm/GIGABYTE-GeForce-GTX-1660-Ti-OC-6G-Graphics-Card-2-x-Fans-VGA-6GB-192-Bit/292978237331. 

Also, I would recommend a better SSD if it's going to be the OS drive since the Sandisk Plus controller doesn't use DRAM. 1TB SATA SSDs are going for under $100 now. I even snagged a 1TB Crucial MX500 (widely considered the best non-Samsung SATA SSD) for $90 in April. 

2 hours ago, Chimera said:

I love AMD cards and I'm really not a fan of Nvidia, but with this build I would have to recommend the 1660Ti, which can be had on ebay for $230 https://www.ebay.com/itm/GIGABYTE-GeForce-GTX-1660-Ti-OC-6G-Graphics-Card-2-x-Fans-VGA-6GB-192-Bit/292978237331. 

Also, I would recommend a better SSD if it's going to be the OS drive since the Sandisk Plus controller doesn't use DRAM. 1TB SATA SSDs are going for under $100 now. I even snagged a 1TB Crucial MX500 (widely considered the best non-Samsung SATA SSD) for $90 in April. 

I was basing this around the price of the build the OP posted which was 720$. He'd have to up his budget if he wanted a next tier of graphic card like the 1660ti or vega 56. Same with the SSD I was simply going off the size he was looking at and picking a better brand but still very much a budget pick.

Looking for some suggestions for a gaming rig.  The MoBo/CPU/Ram is 4.5ish years old

You have 1400 bucks

dont need :

• Case
  • Monitors
  • HDD/SDD
  • PS

Video card is GeForce GTX 1070

System is currently air cooled

No need to account for streaming

1 hour ago, Inimicus said:

Looking for some suggestions for a gaming rig.  The MoBo/CPU/Ram is 4.5ish years old

You have 1400 bucks

dont need :

• Case
  • Monitors
  • HDD/SDD
  • PS

Video card is GeForce GTX 1070

System is currently air cooled

No need to account for streaming

At this price point and with so many parts already accounted for I'd wait a month to see how the 3000 series Ryzen match up against Intel. 

From what I've read the next gen Ryzen chip is doing a balancing act of compressing nano-architecture (down to as low as 7nm) with power consumption.  Prior chip sets that went that low had lower lifespans due to how they were difficult to power manage and cooling was such a huge factor.  Hopefully, the separate IO die can offset a lot of that voltage consumption to protect the vastly more compact Infinity Fabric die.

If I'm reading the tea leaves right, the expectation is that coding that isn't specific to ARM can overcome the latency woes through brute force/divide & conquer.  This might afford some time to bring the rest of the ARM coding community to expand their collective canvases.  Personally, I'd like to see more coding built out for the 3D XPoint  tech to make the PC generational leap away from today's MB architecture base designs, but that may be a 16-bit to 32-bit to 64-bit timeline for getting it to market.

If AMD can deliver on the lower voltage with better heat management for these chip sets, then the added cores and Infinity Fabric threading could show some serious market competition for Intel at the desktop level machines (especially for their respective price points).  If they don't, then you'll see a ton of people lauding the new chip set for a year or two and then complaining about how they bombed out following complete failure (some after trying to overclock, some with poor die-cooling systems).

Archived