• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Tre Boston has interest in coming back

Crazydounut

So a Panthers account I follow on instagram made a post about how we should go after Tre Boston in FA. Something like a 4 year 9 mil per deal. Tre commented on it replying to a Panthers fan.Screenshot_20190131-114644_Instagram.thumb.jpg.57ee4a95b0e1a269a06a95b047fd9b58.jpg

This shows his interest in returning. Personally I would love to see Tre come back home. What do ya'll think?

I'd be willing to for it. He's a better FS option than anyone currently on the roster. I'd be willing to pay high end backup/low level starter money. That way even if the draft works out in a way that we can land a better prospect we're not financially tied to Boston as a starter. We need safety depth too. In that scenario Boston could also function as a stopgap if the rookie isn't ready.

I like it.

12 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I think anyone outright dismissing this idea is ignoring just how bad our safety situation is right now.

I mean, obviously it’s an upgrade.  

However, the reason why our safety situation is crappy (and has been almost the entire Rivera era) is because we continually rely on stop-gap safeties that other teams don’t want every year.  

Boston isn’t a long-term answer.  We know this.  I’d be okay with bringing him in if it meant we would still take improving the position with a game changer in the draft seriously, but our track record shows we’d just use Boston as an excuse not to do that.  And ultimately we’d just be in the exact same situation next year as we have been every year.

I wouldn’t be opposed to signing him, but more than likely we would be in the same situation next year.  And we’ll just be talking about how we need to improve upon Boston.  May as well try to do that now instead of just bringing back Boston.

Honestly this is how every Panthers offseason feels.  I know not every position can be a strength without some luck, but it legit takes us like 3+ years to improve a position it feels.  How long have we had bad LTs and safeties?  It took us forever to improve at corner and wide receiver.  

There’s just nothing exciting to me about bringing Boston back.  It just feels like a step back into the past for a player who honestly wasn’t very good for much more than a splash play or two every other game when he was here.

4 minutes ago, Mage said:

I mean, obviously it’s an upgrade.  

However, the reason why our safety situation is crappy (and has been almost the entire Rivera era) is because we continually rely on stop-gap safeties that other teams don’t want every year.  

Boston isn’t a long-term answer.  We know this.  I’d be okay with bringing him in if it meant we would still take improving the position with a game changer in the draft, but our track record shows we’d just use Boston as an excuse not to do that.  And ultimately we’d just be in the exact same situation next year as we have been every year.

I wouldn’t be opposed to signing him, but more than likely we would be in the same situation next year. 

I expect this to be the case as long as Ron is our coach. I think it's pretty obvious at this point that he doesn't really value the safety positions and wants our resources spent elsewhere.

Also, Tre Boston isn't worth 9 Mil a year. Landon Collins would cost less than that even, IMHO. The safety market was somewhat brought back down to earth last offseason, when guys weren't getting the offers they thought they should have, Boston included.

I never hated on Boston the way a lot of people here did and still do, but if we're going to make an honest effort to bring in really good players, there are quite a few that are better than Boston.

Archived