• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Are We Trading for Marc Gasol?

YoungPanthers89

2 hours ago, ncfan said:

Gasol is good

But is older

And 2, has a big contract.  So just even less space going forward in trying to resign Kemba, and any shot at resigning Lamb.

Plus mortgaging a 1st, when some are saying. This is going to be one of the better draft classes.

Thatd be too steep.

Taking Batum along with with to alleviate cap space would be worth the 1st

I'd expect nothing less from this dumbass organization

Playing minutes tonight aren't really giving anything away..

Frank and Billy aren't playing much.. But any big contract that could be in the deal is..

Biz getting minutes so is Cody, Marvin and the French trash.. Lamb is killing it  right now.. So I don't know who is in this trade..

It isn't that hard to comprehend. Losing Kemba will cost MJ more money than paying some players / Kemba to stay and play in Charlotte. We need to make a move to help secure our spot in the playoffs and make Kemba Happy.

Making it to the second round would be like a Championship for this team. A southeast division title would be nice as well. As long as the Warrior's core are still together no one is winning a damn thing. Philly tanked for years and although they have a good team, they aren't winning anything anytime soon either.

Sorry I am not trying to suck for the next 5+ years hoping to get lucky trying to even become a playoff team again. I would love to see how pissed everyone would be if we lost out on an AD type player again because we sucked so hard and still got fuged out of the number one pick.

25 minutes ago, ncfan said:

Again unless they plan on taking Batum.  Itd be terrible.

Unless im just missing something.  

We're already Super tight in cap space.  Taking on his contract OnTop of Batums contract.  Its going to be real tight and tough to squeeze in a Max deal for Kemba. 

And if we do, we aren't going to be able

1. Resign anyone worthwhile

2. Resign guys like Lamb.

So next years squad would be the exact same team minus the guys traded and minus the Lambs who, any idea of resigning them are out the window

PLUS...........he has the option to opt out of his deal at the end of the year.  So if He isnt happy here.  We just traded away a 1st And option of resigning guys like Lamb for a short rental 

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/memphis-grizzlies/marc-gasol-6122/

Im all for and Wanting to build around Kemba and want another star.  But with the shotty cap situation Cho put us in.  Adding him will be a financial nightmare ontop of losing a key guy or 2

We will have around 80 million in our cap tied to Batum (25), Gasol (25), Marvin (15), Zeller (14).  And next years NBA cap will be 109 mil.  With our star player hitting FA and going to require a max deal (30+a year)   The numbers just dont add up

I must just not understand NBA FA and dont realize there is a magic pot of $$ laying around 

Also, 

Say Kemba decides to Join Durant in NY, Gasol ends up opting oit this summer when that happens.  AND we dont have a 1st rounder.

You think our qorst seasons as a Bobcat were bad.  Be prepared of scouting a top 2 pick for the following season

1. We aren't going to be able to sign anyone regardless of if this trade goes through or not. If the intent is to resign Kemba then he will be signed and we will have the MLE. Lamb will not be back regardless of whether or not this trade goes through; we don't have his bird rights and are already above the tax line.

2. This team will be the same no matter what happens trade wise. Lamb is gone as we won't have room for him no matter what (which is fine because Monk needs to stat) and hopefully we can convince Kemba to resign.

3. If this trade goes through hopefully he does leave because that will open up a bit of space to sign Lamb. With this team as is Lamb is gone.

4. If Kemba leaves then he leaves. The 18th pick in the draft isn't going to magically put us in better shape.

If this is really Biz, Frank, and a first rounder for Gasol and then Gasol opts out then we essentially traded the 18th pick to free up $25M in cap space.... aka... worth it!

2 minutes ago, ncfan said:

Trading Biz, Frank, Bacon, and a 1st for Gasol

Puts us at 109.5 mil in Salaries when the cap is going to be 109

AND 

AND

We still have this guy named Kemba who is going to require a Max deal at around 30 mil a year

Playoff revenue will help offset some of that.

Also paying the tax will be cheaper in the long run than losing Kemba Walker and the revenue he brings this franchise.

There is also a good chance to move Batum next year or the year after. So really one season of paying the tax to keep the franchise's most profitable player. Makes sense to me.

2 minutes ago, Eazy-E said:

Playoff revenue will help offset some of that.

Also paying the tax will be cheaper in the long run than losing Kemba Walker and the revenue he brings this franchise.

There is also a good chance to move Batum next year or the year after. So really one season of paying the tax to keep the franchise's most profitable player. Makes sense to me.

Whats the max we can go over paying the tax?

Because we will be around 30.5 mil Over

I've said this before, but the only way we take a step forward with Kemba is by walking through fire for a season above the tax line to keep him and another high powered player through a transition. We have to get another guy here and make it through another year to get closer to losing these shitty big contracts so we can rebuild with some actual cornerstones. It'll be a big help if Monk and Bridges turn into guys.

If some other guys like Lamb fall off because of it, then so be it. We won't be replacing Kemba any time soon. We gotta give him our best possible team and see what happens while he's in his prime.

4 minutes ago, ncfan said:

Whats the max we can go over paying the tax?

Because we will be around 30.5 mil Over

I'm not exactly sure but it shouldn't be a big deal. the salary cap will be around 109 and the tax will be around 132 million. With Kemba re-signed we will only be a few million over the tax which isn't a big deal and will only be most likely for 1 season if that.

2 minutes ago, Shocker said:

Saw a deal that makes sense cap wise.  Biz, Lamb and a protected 1st.  Salaries almost match exactly.  Bet that will be it.

I'd be surprised if we give up Lamb.

We have Howard's trade exception so Frank and Biz can actually get the deal done and unless Memphis has long term plans for Lamb then he holds no value to them.

Just now, MillionDollarCam said:

I'd be surprised if we give up Lamb.

We have Howard's trade exception so Frank and Biz can actually get the deal done and unless Memphis has long term plans for Lamb then he holds no value to them.

True but he helps them cut like 7 mill in salary soon and they do get the pick.  I don’t love it but that one I think is very legit.

Archived