• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Riot Report: The Case For Matt Kalil - Why Bringing Him Back Is A Good Idea

Saca312

17 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Don’t take it personally, I do disagree, but I also see the money as part of the basis/foundation of the article which is why it’s tough to overlook an egregious (to me) error.

My opinion is that Kalil is not good enough and while I never thought Williams was truly a 2nd team all-pro, I also never thought he was terrible. One play on the second page isn’t going to convince me. If that’s one of the best examples of a Matt Kalil play that Cam stepped up (which he isn’t the best at) and didn’t get blown up then I’m not convinced that Matt is better.

Also, one other thing is something I consider lazy is the Moton’s played a lot of right tackle so I don’t think he’ll be as good on the left side. There’s zero analysis of the games Moton played on the left side. I think he did really well in preseason including he real dress rehearsal week 3 against a solid Pats DL (remember they shredded the vaunted Rams OL in the SB) and week 1 against a solid Dallas DL (Williams also looked good). I remember the experiment of Daryl at LT a couple years ago in preseason and it was awful. That wasn’t the case with Moton and Moton spent a ton of camp working at guard. I believe an entire offseason on the left and he could be an elite LT and that’s a game changer money wise. I didn’t like that that was ignored.

Anyway, I didn’t like or agree with the article and the money was just the start. I’m glad Kalil is gone because he would have been an expensive bench player and I also want us to draft and groom Daryl’s replacement which we should have done last draft. 

Oh I’m not taking it personally at all. I’m not the author and I wanted Kalil gone.  And you know I think you’re a smart poster. That’s why it’s weird to me that you’re flexing so hard on him saying they were paying him $14.7M and thinking that he meant they owed him that additional cash. The Panthers are “paying” Kalil $4.9M this season as it relates to the cap. It doesn’t mean Marty is going to Venmo that over to Matty with a missed tackle emoji. Unless your Kalil’s wife or financial advisor why are you worried about when it hits his account? Fans are worried about the cap hit and how it relates to the team’s ability to make other moves, which is obviously what he was intending. To me it’s similar to writing a check (although the inverse since Matt already has his money). If I write you a check I still have to balance it in my checkbook even if you haven’t cashed it. I’ve still paid you even though the cash is still in my account. Matt already has his money but his dead cap affects the Panthers’ spending so for all intents and purposes he’s still being paid that this season. That’s why I said before it’s semantcis. And it is. 

5 minutes ago, stbugs said:

You didn’t read the rest of what I didn’t like. Yes, I stuck on that first and I would have corrected it, but that and the Moton played RT in college were just examples where I felt it was a bit lazy to make a point. If you are going to try and take a polarizing player and make lemonade then your supporting arguments better be rock solid. That’s my hot take. 

I did read it. I’m not trying to convince you to like the article. The point of writing opinion stuff is to create a conversation. That’s all good. My point in addressing you was the way you were ripping him for the term (which I have already agreed was incorrect usage) when I know you’re smart enough to know he didn’t think Kalil was getting an additional $14.7M. I’m totally happy that you disagree with the article. I also do. And as much as I dislike Kalil, I can also fully admit Williams ain’t much better though. We went from a 3 to a 4, maybe 4.5. But I’d rather have the 4

1 minute ago, stbugs said:

We good. And hey, if we can’t needle something on an anonymous web site then what is this world coming too? Last note, I can’t always assume people know stuff. Just go look around. I’m amazed at how much is wrong. Maybe I had that autocorrect on my mind, but this article did actually make quite a few board members interpret Kalil’s money situation incorrectly. 

Oh for sure. Seems like he majority did, right? I felt like you were copying and pasting your explanation (which was well done) in every thread...haha. I had a ton of conversations on social about his contract too. Actually won a $100 bet because I corrected someone and said he was going to be released. The whole “costs more to cut than keep” narrative was out of control.

53 minutes ago, RoaringRiot said:

Oh I’m not taking it personally at all. I’m not the author and I wanted Kalil gone.  And you know I think you’re a smart poster. That’s why it’s weird to me that you’re flexing so hard on him saying they were paying him $14.7M and thinking that he meant they owed him that additional cash. The Panthers are “paying” Kalil $4.9M this season as it relates to the cap. It doesn’t mean Marty is going to Venmo that over to Matty with a missed tackle emoji. Unless your Kalil’s wife or financial advisor why are you worried about when it hits his account? Fans are worried about the cap hit and how it relates to the team’s ability to make other moves, which is obviously what he was intending. To me it’s similar to writing a check (although the inverse since Matt already has his money). If I write you a check I still have to balance it in my checkbook even if you haven’t cashed it. I’ve still paid you even though the cash is still in my account. Matt already has his money but his dead cap affects the Panthers’ spending so for all intents and purposes he’s still being paid that this season. That’s why I said before it’s semantcis. And it is. 

Marty uses Squarecash and not Venmo, because his PayPal account was suspended after some of the contracts he handed out in his first tenure here(Charles Johnson's contract is NOT a PayPal Friends & Family transfer). Venmo is owned by PayPal, so Marty would definitely not use that product.

Please get your facts straight.

I'll wade in here, my opinions here were moot.

I thought there could be some value to keeping him around because "could we find an upgrade for the $7 million saved?"  Well, I guess we did.  I didn't think Williams would resign with the Panthers.  I'm wrong.

Drag me through the mud.

18 minutes ago, Moo Daeng said:

If Roaring Riot writes something is it required that all members adopt and defend that opinion? 

Member of the Riot or members of the huddle? 

Because the head of the Riot just came on and said he didn't agree with the point of the article but liked the discussion it created.

Archived