• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Dave Gettleman on Dave Gettleman

ellis

2 hours ago, RIAnBOW said:

That's a false statement.

The GM cannot make that call -- the owner/s make the call and that's exactly what happened with Beckham. 

If you want to read about the Beckham trade in this respect, you can do so here:  https://www.giants.com/news/giants-owners-discuss-decision-to-trade-odell-beckham-jr

Mara (50% owner) said:  " I drove home from the office, talked to him (Getty) on the phone that evening and ultimately approved it."

Tisch (50% owner) said:  " My personal feelings about Odell are very separate from the decision that ultimately John and I had to make.

People need to understand that owners make big calls like this, not GM's.  GM's lay out the options for the owner/s, and the owner makes the call.

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2827666-giants-owner-john-mara-i-was-reluctant-to-trade-odell-beckham-jr-to-browns.amp.html

states Mara was very reluctant, also another story details how his grandkids cried when he told them the news. He stated this shortly after the trade was made, not exactly a vote of confidence 

3 minutes ago, RIAnBOW said:

Reluctant or otherwise, he and Steve Tisch made the decision to do it.

Gettleman simply laid out the options/choice -- Tisch and Mara considered the options and made a choice. 

As such, you cannot claim the owners don't support the GM in the Beckham situation.

I’m referring strictly to Mara, he made it seem like he was talked into trading Odell, him releasing the info about his grandkids and him being reluctant to the media isn’t saying he was thrilled about trading him, it says the opposite. 

On 4/21/2019 at 12:01 PM, Cary Kollins said:

Gettleman has a point about getting rid of a “cultural problem” with OBJ, meaning locker room culture. It worked getting rid of Steve Smith, who by all accounts was hindering the growth of Cam as a leader. 

Of course Gettleman also made a bunch of dumb decisions in his stint here, but the point he’s making in the OP article makes sense. 

We got rid of an old version of 89.  Dave didn't part w/ the 2005 era Steve Smith. 

You can't compare getting rid of old 89 w/ prime Beckham Jr IMO.  

24 minutes ago, RIAnBOW said:

He was simply wrapping a pretty bow around it for P.R. reasons with fans and media....this is no indication of lack of support.

That said, if he were 2nd guessing the trade then any culpability would reside directly with him -- not Gettleman.

Further, revisit this comment from Giants owner Steve Tisch:  " My personal feelings about Odell are very separate from the decision that ultimately John and I had to make.”

Lastly Tisch said:  “This was not a decision that was made quickly without a lot of thought and a lot of conversation discussing with both Dave and Pat (Shurmur, the head coach) and the impact, what it would mean to the club. It is a tough decision. One of the toughest we have had to make in a long time. Many, many years.”

Clearly both owners had lengthy conversations with both the GM and Head Coach, and ultimately the owners decided to ship Beckham.

This singular statement that " owner not even backing him on the Odell trade" is just nonsense.

You keeping bringing up Tish, he’s irrelevant in this convo since I was referring to Mara, how is it nonsense ? How is that a Pr move? Saying he was reluctant is basically saying “hey I wasn’t really all in on trading Odell” meanwhile dg is saying what he’s supposed to say, we made the move that was best for the football team, You don’t have two higher ups in the organization on one page and than Mara comes out saying he was reluctant to trade Odell, that’s a cop out by him just in case the trade ends up bad for them, that’s his out, so he can say “see guys I was never really all in on trading Odell” proof is in the pudding, but it’s far from nonsense 

32 minutes ago, Cary Kollins said:

The point isn’t their talent, it’s the locker room culture.

Where was this problem with locker room culture when they give him 65 million dollars guaranteed back in August?

You're arguing yourself in circles. But you cannot change the fact that the entire ordeal looks to have been mismanaged by the Giants front office. Sure they got rid of him, but virtually no one thinks this was some franchise saving move. Not after absorbing that much salary cap loss.

12 hours ago, TheRed said:

Where was this problem with locker room culture when they give him 65 million dollars guaranteed back in August?

You're arguing yourself in circles. But you cannot change the fact that the entire ordeal looks to have been mismanaged by the Giants front office. Sure they got rid of him, but virtually no one thinks this was some franchise saving move. Not after absorbing that much salary cap loss.

I’m not arguing anything but nice straw man.

I’m just saying Gettleman makes a good point in the original article posted. Y’all can argue about cam newton and fan bases and the overall giants FO. Lol

Archived