• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Setting the draft table

sml1950

There will be 3 decision-makers in the War Room for the draft.  RR, Hurney and yes Tepper.  This is Teppers first but not last draft, whereas it may be the others last.  Merely by his presence he will influence the Panthers future.

TEPPER-  it’s my understanding that he was in the Steeler draft room when he had a ownership interest.  So he’s seen how this

process has been handled before.  Pittsburgh has traded up in the first before for Troy Palamalu (future HOF)and Santonio Holmes (winning SB catch).  So if there is someone Hurney believes is a true difference maker, Tepper may urge him.  This would also include medical/legal red flags.  Tepper didn’t get to be the wealthiest owner by playing it safe.  His plays are built on research, due diligence and guts.  While he may not initiate any picks, his presence will be a factor in influencing how  the team is built.  Make no mistake, while he’s stood back and watched so far, he expects to win not just one, but multiple SBs. 

RR-  This will be his ninth year as the Panthers head coach.  A length that’s uncommon and some say untenable,even for good coaches (Ie Reid).  Division teams become all too familiar with the schemes, tendencies and keys and the players tend to tune out because they have heard it all before.  I believe that RR has seen the future and is trying to adjust to the new dynamics.  He has given Norv a free hand in designing, calling plays and given him weapons for the offense.  IMO he still needs to adjust his “roll clock roll” philosophy with a one score lead in the fourth.  He has always been able to use players to the best of their abilities which is why he’s still here.  The move to the multiple fronts is only the beginning .  I see us doing much more blitzing and pressing the action rather than playing straight up.  As such, I see the common denominator of the defense draftees to be speed, speed, speed. He is not worried about anything but next year, and while later round players are generally developmental, I could see him pushing for trade ups or even using next years pick to get a player he or Norv needs now.

Hurney-  Very few GMs fall into a second act the way Marty has.  If he wants to continue, he’s going to have to walk a very thin line.  He must show Tepper that he can draft the BPA, who is also the biggest present need and the best player for the future.  Seems impossible but that’s what good  GMs do.  If a LT is there who is a day one plug and play 10 year starter, you take him, right?  Or do you pick a double digit sack player who will eventually cost $25 million a year.  Tepper is highly involved in analytics in his business so how much of this gets tossed around.(PFF rates CBs higher than DEs).  My sense is that he has done more work on this draft than any two others and is ready to shine. We really don’t know what they think of their current OL/DL/EDGE players so it’s hard to factor that into the decision making.  I’m sure he’d like to stay at sixteen and have his choice of Sweat, Burns or Dilliard , but if they’re not there, I could see a trade down into the low twenties(especially if D Bush is there).  I think this draft is going to be known for the amount of trades and several will be ours.  I do believe Hurney has learned how to sit and wait and not trade away next years picks, but if he and RR can’t get this team rolling again, they won’t be around to worry about it.  

Surprises-  Panthers pick DT in the 1st, Bills pick DE...we trade Butler for Hughes.  If Hakeem Butler or Lonnie Johnson makes it to the 3rd we trade up to get him.  No QB taken

51 minutes ago, sml1950 said:

There will be 3 decision-makers in the War Room for the draft.  RR, Hurney and yes Tepper.  This is Teppers first but not last draft, whereas it may be the others last.  Merely by his presence he will influence the Panthers future.

TEPPER-  it’s my understanding that he was in the Steeler draft room when he had a ownership interest.  So he’s seen how this

process has been handled before.  Pittsburgh has traded up in the first before for Troy Palamalu (future HOF)and Santonio Holmes (winning SB catch).  So if there is someone Hurney believes is a true difference maker, Tepper may urge him.  This would also include medical/legal red flags.  Tepper didn’t get to be the wealthiest owner by playing it safe.  His plays are built on research, due diligence and guts.  While he may not initiate any picks, his presence will be a factor in influencing how  the team is built.  Make no mistake, while he’s stood back and watched so far, he expects to win not just one, but multiple SBs. 

RR-  This will be his ninth year as the Panthers head coach.  A length that’s uncommon and some say untenable,even for good coaches (Ie Reid).  Division teams become all too familiar with the schemes, tendencies and keys and the players tend to tune out because they have heard it all before.  I believe that RR has seen the future and is trying to adjust to the new dynamics.  He has given Norv a free hand in designing, calling plays and given him weapons for the offense.  IMO he still needs to adjust his “roll clock roll” philosophy with a one score lead in the fourth.  He has always been able to use players to the best of their abilities which is why he’s still here.  The move to the multiple fronts is only the beginning .  I see us doing much more blitzing and pressing the action rather than playing straight up.  As such, I see the common denominator of the defense draftees to be speed, speed, speed. He is not worried about anything but next year, and while later round players are generally developmental, I could see him pushing for trade ups or even using next years pick to get a player he or Norv needs now.

Hurney-  Very few GMs fall into a second act the way Marty has.  If he wants to continue, he’s going to have to walk a very thin line.  He must show Tepper that he can draft the BPA, who is also the biggest present need and the best player for the future.  Seems impossible but that’s what good  GMs do.  If a LT is there who is a day one plug and play 10 year starter, you take him, right?  Or do you pick a double digit sack player who will eventually cost $25 million a year.  Tepper is highly involved in analytics in his business so how much of this gets tossed around.(PFF rates CBs higher than DEs).  My sense is that he has done more work on this draft than any two others and is ready to shine. We really don’t know what they think of their current OL/DL/EDGE players so it’s hard to factor that into the decision making.  I’m sure he’d like to stay at sixteen and have his choice of Sweat, Burns or Dilliard , but if they’re not there, I could see a trade down into the low twenties(especially if D Bush is there).  I think this draft is going to be known for the amount of trades and several will be ours.  I do believe Hurney has learned how to sit and wait and not trade away next years picks, but if he and RR can’t get this team rolling again, they won’t be around to worry about it.  

Surprises-  Panthers pick DT in the 1st, Bills pick DE...we trade Butler for Hughes.  If Hakeem Butler or Lonnie Johnson makes it to the 3rd we trade up to get him.  No QB taken

Sorry but we will be drafting a qb 3rd or 4th

33 minutes ago, steven8989 said:

Sorry but we will be drafting a qb 3rd or 4th

1 hour ago, sml1950 said:

If we could get jerry Hughes for Vern that’s be awesome...or a pop tart. I’d love to get Lonnie Johnson and savage on this team somehow. Our secondary would be stupid. That’s why I hope they hold off on grabbing a QB if they’re going to do it til at least that 4 th rder. If you were able to get some combination sweat or Burns( personally I like Ferrell as well particularly in a trade back but anywho) and a Risner, mcgary, Wisconsin tackle , even Bobby Evans, the high rated guards etc and those 2 you just made 4 positions immediately so much better 

34 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

If we don't go with OL in the first, then we might as well be drafting our QB for the future. Cam will look like roadkill if we don't.

Every top OL in this draft has question marks, there is nobody I see that is a day one starter who I trust to keep Cam clean. Picking one at 16 when there are still better graded DL would be a huge mistake

Sweat, Burns, Wilkins---maybe a Ford.  I think it comes down to these 4 players, and I am guessing 1 or 2 will be off the board when we pick.

First round moves:  Redskins and Raiders trade to get Haskins.  Mayock wants more picks.  Redskins will offer 1, 2, and first rounder in 2020.  This will happen.  Mark my words.

(I am totally guessing)

9 minutes ago, mc52beast said:

Every top OL in this draft has question marks, there is nobody I see that is a day one starter who I trust to keep Cam clean. Picking one at 16 when there are still better graded DL would be a huge mistake

To be honest, I agree.  There was once a time when the OL was not a risky pick.  Not today--

16 minutes ago, TheMostInterestingMan said:

We already made some pretty big improvements to the OL this offseason 

Did we?  We replaced a retiring pro-bowler (in past) C--that is not much of an improvement--more of a replacement--and we re-signed our injured RT for a season.  I am not feeling good about that.  I think we need a starting OL from this draft.

12 minutes ago, TheMostInterestingMan said:

We already made some pretty big improvements to the OL this offseason 

We MIGHT have made some pretty big improvements... Williams is coming off of a knee rehab. Picked up Paradis and he should be good, but is coming off an injury. If everything goes as planned, we'll be moving Moton to LT, which he shows promise at but many have tread that path and not been able to survive it. Turner was having a lot of issues last year (even Cam calling him out mid-game at least once) and van Roten might not be the answer at LG. And depth behind there is... well, errr... that was our depth.

The only definite good thing for sure is that Kalil the Lesser's locker space is available now. That is balanced out by the empitness of Kalil the Greater's locker, though.

Like I said, MIGHT is the proper word. 

I think we need O-Line in the first. Pass rush can be schemed and manufactured. Pass protection really can't. 

Archived