• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Searcy Waived

7 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

No one could have predicted Searcy getting two concussions that close together, that's not on Hurney. Smith, a jet receiver, was paired up with a QB that couldn't fling the ball 20 yards down the field -- I think we can wait to judge that pickup this season after Cam is back to normal. That veteran presence couldn't have hurt to be there for our two young and dynamite receivers. Gano is not a problem and proved to be an asset. A great kicker will win you some games, but if a game is lost by a missed field goal then there were many fails before the kicker ever lined up for the field goal...

I'm not sure you really are right about any of your "bad" signings. 

I just think Gano over Butker was frustrating because we drafted him, signed him,  and kept him on the week 1 roster.  All things equal, you have to take the 21 year old draft pick and the 600k contract.  If you're giving a rookie kicker a week 1 roster spot, you can't be that sure of your vet in the first place (I would think). Oh well.

1 hour ago, Soul Rebel said:

I didn't like Tre in his first go with us, but I feel like he's improved since his departure. He's not going to be in the Pro Bowl anytime soon, but he would be an improvement over what we have... on a 1-yr deal - I'm ok with it. 

I'd prefer Gilchrist or maybe Stewart equally as much. Gilchrist is a heady and versatile SAF that can also play NB. We could roll a great package of Reid-Gilchrist-Gaulden out there as well. 

We aren't making a move until after 5/7 in order to not affect our comp picks, but the release of Searcy, combined with the Luke restructure makes me think we make two moves...

DL - Bailey

S - Gilchrist

We only are getting a 7th round comp pick right now. 

Carolina Panthers
Qualifying UFAs Lost: 4 Qualifying UFAs Gained: 3
Name Rd. APY Rank Name Rd. APY Rank
Devin Funchess 4 $10,000,000 111 Matt Paradis 4 $8,500,000 161
Thomas Davis 6 $5,250,000 325 Bruce Irvin 6 $4,000,000 413
Chandler Catanzaro 7 $2,300,000 640 Chris Hogan 7 $1,425,000 816
David Mayo 7 $1,200,000 875  
Non-Qualifying UFAs Lost Non-Qualifying UFAs Gained
Kenjon Barner   $895,000 1006  

41 minutes ago, Black&BlueBubba said:

We only are getting a 7th round comp pick right now. 

Carolina Panthers
Qualifying UFAs Lost: 4 Qualifying UFAs Gained: 3
Name Rd. APY Rank Name Rd. APY Rank
Devin Funchess 4 $10,000,000 111 Matt Paradis 4 $8,500,000 161
Thomas Davis 6 $5,250,000 325 Bruce Irvin 6 $4,000,000 413
Chandler Catanzaro 7 $2,300,000 640 Chris Hogan 7 $1,425,000 816
David Mayo 7 $1,200,000 875  
Non-Qualifying UFAs Lost Non-Qualifying UFAs Gained
Kenjon Barner   $895,000 1006  

yay!!!

3 hours ago, WOW!! said:

Yes.. And he has looked better than any Safety on our roster the last 2 years..

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BostTr00.htm

Also If you listen to Charlotte radio him not being signed yet might been for a reason as he might have been waiting for the team he wants to play for getting there ducks in order to give him a fair contract...

Also Ansah, Berry  nor is SuH signed yet do they suck to??

Yes they all suck.

1 hour ago, stbugs said:

Lol. No one could have predicted Matt Kalil getting hurt. Seriously though, $16m over two years for Searcy and Smith were bad signings. Smith was mediocre at best and it showed. Love trying to credit him with the young WR development. Pretty sure their YAC was all them and their best asset. Searcy never played. Throw in Poe and last year was a bad FA/trading offseason, period.

Please on Gano. He has lost/help lose a bunch of games. He’s not Tucker or Gostkowski or even Robbie Gould. He shouldn’t be making that money and we could have kept Norwell but instead have Smith, Gano and Searcy (not anymore thankfully). No need to sugar coat it. Hurney 2.0 has been solid but he’s still made some mistakes.

Outside of Wright, that 2018 FA class was a full failure. I sure thought Poe would have played better and Id still take him over Star(including contracts). Smith has not been a deep threat in over three years, I would have preferred keeping and benching Worley. Just seemed Ron was ready to move on and off-field stuff was there too. Worley had a good year believe it or not.  Lucky Action Jackson was NFL ready.

I will state this- This is the best offseason (FA and draft class) in Herniays time. He was the most aggressive for AAF guys and got the guys he wanted in the draft after doing the most research. With around 15 million in cap space, he somehow valued signed Irvin, Paradis, and Williams while many other teams had 40+ million in cap room. Plus resigned Reid and Manhertz early on value deals too. 

1 hour ago, YETI said:

If you’re too stupid to think that Hurney wont sign ERIC BERRY then just stop breathing. 

Lol that's definitely not happening. They will stick with Gaulden before they do that. Berry and Reid play same position duh!

5 hours ago, Double Trouble said:

I just think Gano over Butker was frustrating because we drafted him, signed him,  and kept him on the week 1 roster.  All things equal, you have to take the 21 year old draft pick and the 600k contract.  If you're giving a rookie kicker a week 1 roster spot, you can't be that sure of your vet in the first place (I would think). Oh well.

It was odd, but so was taking a kicker as a draft pick at all, which was Gettleman's doing. Gettleman, of course, didn't even make it to training camp before being fired that year. He had, however, signed Butker to a four-year contract at $2.8 million.

It comes down to this, perhaps: Butker was Gettleman's guy and Gano had been brought in by Hurney. Statistically, Gano has been pretty good and statistically Butker was still an unknown. Hurney kept him on the roster in hopes of getting some kind of trade deal for him but by the end of that first week, we had needs on the roster and Butker was waived and picked up for the practice squad, hopefully to be stashed for later.

Then the Chiefs had a big enough need to offer him a roster spot and the rest is history. I don't think anyone, in the end, came out the worst for this. Even the contract amount differences between the two weren't in the make or break levels of money. You just had to see the team going with the one they knew rather than one with no pro record.

We sure spend a lot of time on here wringing our hands over the kicker...

2 hours ago, stbugs said:

Lol. No one could have predicted Matt Kalil getting hurt. Seriously though, $16m over two years for Searcy and Smith were bad signings. Smith was mediocre at best and it showed. Love trying to credit him with the young WR development. Pretty sure their YAC was all them and their best asset. Searcy never played. Throw in Poe and last year was a bad FA/trading offseason, period.

Please on Gano. He has lost/help lose a bunch of games. He’s not Tucker or Gostkowski or even Robbie Gould. He shouldn’t be making that money and we could have kept Norwell but instead have Smith, Gano and Searcy (not anymore thankfully). No need to sugar coat it. Hurney 2.0 has been solid but he’s still made some mistakes.

You keep typing but you're still not right. Maybe try all caps?

We can probably cherry pick even Bill Belichick's free agency signings and find some folks that didn't rise to the level of the contract either through bad play, old age or injury. Maybe you've got a foolproof way of picking these guys?

If so, you might want to be firing off resumes. Those guys pay big bucks for that kind of prognostication.

2 hours ago, stbugs said:

I’ve seen you mention a few times that we could have kept Norwell if we didn’t sign so and so players...but do you seriously think that was ever an option? Can you imagine what the headlines in here would have been if Hurney signed Norwell to a $13.5 million/year contract with $30 million guaranteed? That means we’d have $25 million/year tied up in our guards...the two least important positions on the o-line.

”HURNEY IS BACK!!! Overpaying our players to ludicrous contracts again...he just doesn’t learn”.

Yeah we can use our ultra convenient revisionism and say Norwell at that contract would’ve ultimately been a better deal than Smith/Gano/Searcy (perhaps a bit short-sighted however), but again...that was never an option. Teams just don’t invest almost 15% of their salary cap on guards.

7 hours ago, stbugs said:

Heck of a response and doesn’t change that Torrey Smith wasn’t worth $5m per year, Poe wasn’t worth $9m+ per year, Gano wasn’t worth $4m+ per year and Searcy wasn’t worth almost $3m per year.

You keep typing yet somehow you haven’t come close to explaining how that $21m per year was somehow not bad. After this year, those guys will have cost us an extra $32m or $7m more than the horrific amount we paid speedbump.

I’m happy with Thomas, DJ, Donte, Miller, Burns and maybe Little, Carter and Daley and I love our  2019 FAs, but you can’t spin the 2018 FAs/Smith regardless of how you try to change the subject. I hated the Kalil signing but I’ve also been staring for months that I wanted Smith and Searcy gone, waste of money. I’d rather not have Poe or Short at their salaries but post 2020 is better especially since we didn’t use our 3rds to go more DL/S like I wanted.

I haven't been arguing that it was money well spent, I've been arguing that in each case, there was no way to know the players wouldn't live up to their contracts. There's no way Hurney could have foreseen how the free agents would work out. You want to condemn the guy for making the picks, but that's just petty.

Archived