• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Searcy Waived

Lost in all this is Isaiah Battle (T) was also released. Considering we should be down to 88 on the 90 man, you'd have to reason that we're bringing in replacements. 

We've been tied to Allen Bailey, as well as Jermon Bushrod. Solidifying 34 DE depth as well as T depth seem like legitimate options here. 

There's so many Safeties on the roster I'm inclined to believe the focus will be on players we've already met with. 

Although I wouldn't mind a Safety that's more established and younger. 

17 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

You ever get the feeling that Hurney has had a rebuilding plan for this team since he walked in the door and Ron's right there with him. Our struggles have been a lot like what a transition team goes through, especially with shedding some bad decisions.

I think these moves are part of that honing down into a different and better Panthers team.

I believe he learned a lot in that off time.

He was never bad at putting rosters together. We were a trendy Super Bowl pick almost every year from 03-09 even though we had a major liability at QB. His issues started after Jake pissed on himself after the AZ playoff game and Hurndog through Bryce Harper money at him even when it was clear his arm was done. Then the issues really magnified after 2010 when he went on a spending spree to resign players that had no business getting that kind of money

40 minutes ago, KillaCamNewton said:

per Panthers Twitter

why we ever brought him in when Reid was still out there will never make sense...unfortunately i think this means they really trust Gaulden

We had a different owner then.

15 minutes ago, KillaCamNewton said:

He was never bad at putting rosters together. We were a trendy Super Bowl pick almost every year from 03-09 even though we had a major liability at QB. His issues started after Jake pissed on himself after the AZ playoff game and Hurndog through Bryce Harper money at him even when it was clear his arm was done. Then the issues really magnified after 2010 when he went on a spending spree to resign players that had no business getting that kind of money

I maintain, and not to absolve him of all mistakes, the majority of his problematic decisions during 1.0 were JR's demands.  Hurney fell on the sword for JR, then knowing the public was angry, JR hired a football guy and decided to give him full autonomy, and after several mistakes and disagreements, he fired Gettleman and brought Hurney back...  I think he planned to let Hurney be more autonomous this go-round either way, but then he was forced to sell the team and that's how it ended up anyway.

Sure, I think Hurney learned from watching during his time off...  but, I also think his moves now are reflective of not being bullied around by a meddling owner.

8 minutes ago, Moo Daeng said:

Why do people dislike Gaulden so much? Y'all were upset we didnt take 6th and 7th to round safeties. Makes no sense.

His tape from college was relatively unimpressive, he tested in the 2nd percentile athletically, and he looked equally unimpressive in his appearances last season.  Hard to be encouraged by a guy's potential when he's extremely limited athletically and hasn't shown a knack for any big-play ability otherwise. 

Just now, Proudiddy said:

I maintain, and not to absolve him of all mistakes, the majority of his problematic decisions during 1.0 were JR's demands.  Hurney fell on the sword for JR, then knowing the public was angry, JR hired a football guy and decided to give him full autonomy, and after several mistakes and disagreements, he fired Gettleman and brought Hurney back...  I think he planned to let Hurney be more autonomous this go-round either way, but then he was forced to sell the team and that's his it ended up anyway.

Sure, I think Hurney learned from watching during his time off...  but, I also think his moves now are reflective of not being bullied around by a meddling owner.

I will be the first to crap on Hurney 1.0, but the further away from JR we get, the more and more I get the vibe that he was silently pulling strings behind the scenes for both Hurney and Gettleman. Seems like Hurney fell on the sword for JR, and that Gettleman probably refused to be a puppet for JR and was fired for it. Hurney sans JR is actually competent it seems. I don't agree with everything he's done but he has really made a ton of solid moves since returning, and the biggest common variable between the two situations is JR. 

1 minute ago, Cracka McNasty said:

I will be the first to crap on Hurney 1.0, but the further away from JR we get, the more and more I get the vibe that he was silently pulling strings behind the scenes for both Hurney and Gettleman. Seems like Hurney fell on the sword for JR, and that Gettleman probably refused to be a puppet for JR and was fired for it. Hurney sans JR is actually competent it seems. I don't agree with everything he's done but he has really made a ton of solid moves since returning, and the biggest common variable between the two situations is JR. 

Agreed.  To clarify about Gettleman, I do think he initially planned to give him full autonomy, but as you said, I think once Gettleman did things JR didn't like, he wanted to take some of that power back, they butted heads, and JR fired him.  So yeah, I'm with you...  I just dont think JR could resist intervening with personnel and football ops.

As you said, the more time passes since JR was here shows us just how deep his claws were dug in to every part of the franchise.

Must be a safety signing incoming, we were at 90 players prior to and this leaves our safeties going into camp as Reid, Gaulden (who has been suggested as a potential nickel), Jones, Luke, Parms, Nacua, and UDFA Ballard. This also clears up $2M or $2.5M, can't remember which.

Archived