• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Davidson needs to get off the sidelines

Khyber53

Here's why we pass it so much...

Davidson is on the sidelines as OC rather than in the box. What he can see from the sidelines is far different than he could from up on high. That does have a big effect on how he calls a game, and his angle of view does not allow him to pick out trends in the defensive coverage. To do that, he has to rely on someone else's eyes from the box, who then relays the info to him.

Perhaps that communication isn't clear enough, or those eyes are not very good at evaluating the situation. I do know that the communication is apparently slow at times, hence the delay in getting the plays to the quarterback.

But here's an even bigger rub in the situation. Our OC does not have any separation between himself and the players between plays. This prevents him from being an impartial observer and play caller.

After each blown pass, how many people get to come up to him and say, "I was open on that play, why didn't he throw it to me," or "That defensive end was grabbing my facemask, I need a fullback or tight end to help get him off of me next play." Or just, "Let's fling it downfield."

Such statements may be having more impact on the play calling than the overall picture of the game. Add to that his direct involvement in the play calling and sideline coaching may be stretching him thin when the offense is off the field.

What he should be doing is be in the coach's box, getting the big picture and looking for defensive weaknesses to exploit. Then he should be radioing down the play to the QBs coach to have signaled onto the field.

After the offense comes off the field, he should give a quick burst of orders to his position coaches and get them to disseminate it to their squads. Then he gets the QB on the phone and goes over photos of what trends he is seeing.

His job should be command and recon. Instead he is stuck in the trenches, half blind and distracted. He shouldn't be on the sidelines judging the morale of the team and getting input from players that may have their own temporary agendas.

Position coaches should be working on their groups and the Head Coach should be working on morale and oversight.

Until Davidson gets off the sidelines, we're playing with blinders on.:cool:

I believe he is making in-game adjustments, but it's garbage in/garbage out with what information he is getting. He's making adjustments based off of what players are saying, he's making them based off of his limited vision of the field and he's making them based off of what the people in the box (who are less experienced than he is) are attempting to tell him.

Look, in most games, we do well for our first series or two. That means he can create and script an effective early game plan. Most teams come into a game with their first 15 plays scripted. That script, and how the other team reacts to it then determines how the plan will change. And that plan always has to be adjusted, always.

It is making those adjustments, there is some incredible disconnect. We always, always seem to adjust in the wrong directions, don't we?

So let's look at it -- starts strong, early in the game. Then breaks down, interceptions and incompletions abound. Pass coverage sputters, pressure develops and we end up behind. Adjustments are made, but then they don't seem to help. And halftime adjustments really don't adjust, do they?

The halftime adjustment is the big plan, it's often the crux of the game. And to do that right, the OC has to have the big picture, the correct big picture.

I don't think he is getting it.

And why do we give up on the running game early? Look at the personalities of our two running backs. Both are well-mannered, behaved and unselfish in a way that is almost unheard of in this league. When the chips are down there are louder voices in the passing game shouting "Gimme the ball coach, I'm open every play" or "I've got that cornerback now, just watch."

Neither DWill or JStew are the kind to verbally say, "Give me the damn ball" to paraphrase old Keyshawn Johnson. So their input into the discussion is way lower than their impact is on the field.

But a coach who sees the whole field can quickly cut through the bullshit and posturing that goes on. He'd know that the receivers are getting double coverage and that a safety is lying dogg-o to jump a route or two. He'd also notice that the coverage schemes are opening up running lanes.

He'd also relearn what he was shown last year: our running backs can break off runs at any time that are as good as a pass.

i've been thinking this for a good while.

i loved the idea of the OC being on the field but that doesn't really give him the best vantage point. the communication and distraction issues that were brought up are also very valid points.

i agree. that is something that does need to be done. what they have been doing isn't working and the defenses are doing a better job of handling the offense. he needs to get up there and watch and see what is happening and make adjustments.

Archived