• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

South Carolina Approves $115 Million

Kyle82

The cost of living is definitely cheaper down here in SC. Granted wages are a bit lower, but taxes, gas, housing and food all are lower.  I'll sacrifice $10k a year in salary for all those perks...trust me, those items alone offsets the pay gap and then some.  I like visiting family and friends in NC, but it's highly unlikely I'll ever move back due to everything being so much more expensive and still climbing.

33 minutes ago, Luuuuuuke! said:

At what point does the offset no longer work?

It depends on how much of a pay difference one will sacrifice compared to their standard of living.  It's up to the individual essentially.  They pay gap isn't all that big either.  All I know is there's no way I could have bought a comparable house in/around Charlotte for what I did in SC and have as low of a mortgage as I do.  Gas is usually 20-25 cents higher a gallon in NC compared to where I live.  There's no tax on groceries in SC.  Talking to family in Charlotte, apparently the city is hiking property taxes again.

10 minutes ago, Luuuuuuke! said:

I hear ya, good input.

New York City is losing tons of residents because regular folks can't afford to live there.  The threshold is a lot higher but the trend/concept is similar.  

Whadya figure a single person needs to earn to live comfortably in a nice neighborhood in Charlotte?  (say Elizabeth or South End or Dilworth)

$150,000?  More? 

I'm not the person to ask.  I last lived in Charlotte 25-years ago.  Apparently those areas you mentioned have become extremely sought after though and may require a salary of $150k.  I'm going off what folks tell me that still live there.  You could do an online real estate search  to get a good idea.  Again, it's all relative, a million bucks buys a shoe box home in San Francisco .  

12 hours ago, Luuuuuuke! said:

Gotcha.

What does a person need to earn to live well in Rock Hill?

I don't live in Rock Hill, but it would obviously be less than in the city.  A good portion of folks that live in Rock Hill commute to Charlotte for work.  They get the Charlotte salary, but the benefit of lower cost of living in SC.  Again, a simple real estate search online can give you many of these answers along with a demographics search.  If nothing else just do a cold call to a real estate agent in the area and pick their brain a bit.  They have many of those questions you asked readily available.  All I know is I don't make near $150k and live extremely comfortably here in SC.  If I made $150k I'd could buy a nice lake house in the area where I live.

12 hours ago, Luuuuuuke! said:

Gotcha.

What does a person need to earn to live well in Rock Hill?

Consider this, an all-brick new-construction custom 2,800 square foot home in a new home neighborhood close to shopping cost me less than $350k in Rock Hill. 

Comparable houses in South Charlotte cost $450-500k, Dilworth $900k, Plaza Midwood $750k, Huntersville $450k, and Fort Mill $450k. To find comparable in Charlotte, you would have to go towards the University or Steele Creek areas.

The further south down I77 you go in SC will net you a cheaper price. The same house in Catawba will cost $320k and Chester County $290k.

1 hour ago, Towelboy said:

Consider this, an all-brick new-construction custom 2,800 square foot home in a new home neighborhood close to shopping cost me less than $350k in Rock Hill. 

I paid half of that in Anderson for 2,200 square feet in a nearly fully remodeled home on an acre of land backed up to a community pond in the city limits near the heart of shopping.  My mortgage is cheaper than the 2-bedroom apartment I was living in before moving here.

David NewtonESPN Staff Writer 

South Carolina lawmakers on Monday officially approved an incentive package that will grant the Carolina Panthers $115 million in state discounts when the Charlotte, North Carolina-based team moves its headquarters across the state line into the Rock Hill, S.C., area. The plan is to break ground on a state-of-the-art sports complex later this year.

18 minutes ago, bull123 said:

Wonder where CLT City Council was during this entire process?

nowhere to be found

I'm not sure there's much they could do.  Tepper has been set on incorporating SC, plus, this was fast tracked by SC, something I doubt NC would do.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived