• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Still in the clouds

This has been an amazing few days for me. Liverpool wins the Champions League final and the we sign Gerald McCoy. I’ve been on a high since last Saturday. 

In my day dream state I started think about the potential for the Panthers this season. I’ve seen people remain negative and say we still aren’t a playoff contender. That’s laughable to me, but I suppose missing the playoffs could be our floor. But let’s consider our ceiling. 

This offseason the entire board agreed our biggest need was in the trenches. Some felt the bigger area for improvement was on the offensive side of the ball while others felt it was on defense (me personally). Whichever side of the isle you fell on is irrelevant now. We made huge pro bowl signings to each and added our first two draft picks as well. 

On potential, our OL could be as good as its every been for Cam this season. On potential, our DL could be as good as its ever been for Rivera. 

On offense we have a former MVP coming back from an injury where his arm damn near fell off his body. But when healthy, there is no tougher QB to gameplan against. That isn’t to say he’s the best QB in the league necessarily, but there is no other QB that can win games entirely on his own when he is firing on all cylinders like Cam. Add a healthy Olsen, a second year burner at WR in Moore, Curtis Samuel who started showing flashes of utter danger in the open field and a few vet additions in Smith returning healthy and Hogan and Cam has the best weapons he’s ever had here. That’s before we even mention CMC who could honestly put his name in the MVP hat this season as he figures to tally more yards than any player in the league this season and looks like he took a dip in the captain America super serum over the offseason. If Cam is healthy, this legit WILL be the most explosive offense this franchise has ever fielded. Our WRs can absolutely punish you in the open field and get deep in a hurry, CMC is truly a nightmare and Olsen is a top 3 TE in the league when healthy. 

Defensively we are probably even better on paper. Say what you will about Ron but there’s no doubting he is a mastermind when it comes to defensive scheming. Transitioning to a 3-4 defense, we have 3 pro bowl mammoths up front. Both KK and McCoy are known for their incredible explosive speed for their size and Poe genuinely was a beast in the 3-4 earlier in his career. Burns is the wildcard, but he’s an athletic freak and with the 3 guys up front, I would imagine he is in store for one hell of a rookie season. Again, assuming we are looking at our potential ceiling, this group is an QBs worst nightmare. Not to mention Addison and the experienced Irvin thrown in the mix. QBs simply won’t have time to wait around. 

Luke is a future HOFer in position to have his best season yet, with the front 7 so solidified. And Shaq has big question marks, but undeniable athletic ability. If he steps up, yikes. That’s almost impossible to deal with. 

Our secondary looks really strong imo. Everyone here is moaning about a FS and that’s a valid concern. But Bradberry is a solid CB, Jackson showed HUGE potential and is entering his second year and if Cockrell came make a full comeback, in really not that worried about safety. Reid to very well last year and Gaulden doesn’t need to be a star with all the pieces around him. Honestly, he just needs to make sure he doesn’t get beat deep. As long as he does that.l, this front seven can make him look like an all pro. 

And imagine 3rd and short with these boys and we slip back into a 4-3. McCoy, Love, Poe and KK... omfg. 

I know I’m just regurgitating everything we have all been talking about since the draft now, but on paper if these guys play up to their maximum ability, this really may be the best team we’ve ever had. I know that’s a very cheerleader perspective and the game isn’t played on paper. I know some of our superstars are coming off injuries with question marks still attached. I know KK, McCoy and Poe all regressed statistically last season. I know we are thin in the secondary and we are relying on rookies to rush the passer and protect QB1 (I assume Little will be playing a big role for this team this season)

But we have all the potential to cause utter mayhem across the league this season. I haven’t been this excited for the Panthers in a little while now.

Oh and my bad Marty. You kicked ass this year. I was wrong about you. 

This is the most exciting offseason we have had since at least 2013 when Gettleman was still in his Honeymoon phase.

It is hard to imagine anything going better for us (on paper) than what has transpired.

Credit Hurney for doing a complete 180 and figuring out how to be a competent GM.

Credit Ron for finally figuring out that you have to evolve as a HC... he’s going to have our D back in the top 10

And of course credit Tepper for spending his hard earned money on the Panthers franchise. Dude has a burning desire to win and will give his staff what is needed.

13 hours ago, The Huddler said:

stay humble.  the browns and ravens jinxed themselves. all comes down to Cams shoulder. thats literally the tickrt

This.  The format of the NFL today is such that you can have 21 pro bowlers, but if your QB isn't healthy and up to par, you're going nowhere.  The whole league has been intentionally designed to be about 95% reliant on QB play.

Great post. Only thing I disagree with is, unfortunately, I don't think Olsen can be a top-3 TE in the league anymore. I really hope I'm wrong but I think he will turn into a Tony Gonzalez or Jason Witten in their final 2 years. By no means is that bad. But I don't see anymore 1,000 yd seasons in his future. I think 600 yds and a good red-zone target may be his ceiling. That's why we drafted a WR in the first and second rounds the last few years. It's time to play modern football.

If I'm completely wrong than this will be the best offense in Panthers history, by a mile.

14 hours ago, The Huddler said:

stay humble.  the browns and ravens jinxed themselves. all comes down to Cams shoulder. thats literally the tickrt

The more I think about that, the more I'm not so sure. So long as the rest of the offense stayed healthy and the defense is firing, I think Norv's QB friendly system would work well for a guy like Kyle Allen or Will Grier. 

37 minutes ago, DeAngelo Beason said:

This.  The format of the NFL today is such that you can have 21 pro bowlers, but if your QB isn't healthy and up to par, you're going nowhere.  The whole league has been intentionally designed to be about 95% reliant on QB play.

The reason for that is because so much Cap Space is wrapped up in the QB that other positions are neglected. The last time the Super Bowl featured two quarterbacks not on a rookie contract was in 2015 with Cam and Manning. 

The model should actually be to draft a quality QB and while they are on their rookie contract, load up on Free Agent talent which is what the Rams and Seahawks did and what the Panther's failed to do. 

4 hours ago, Adb6368 said:

Great post. Only thing I disagree with is, unfortunately, I don't think Olsen can be a top-3 TE in the league anymore. I really hope I'm wrong but I think he will turn into a Tony Gonzalez or Jason Witten in their final 2 years. By no means is that bad. But I don't see anymore 1,000 yd seasons in his future. I think 600 yds and a good red-zone target may be his ceiling. That's why we drafted a WR in the first and second rounds the last few years. It's time to play modern football.

If I'm completely wrong than this will be the best offense in Panthers history, by a mile.

That could well be true. Even so, if he stays healthy and just produces that this year then we are in really good shape 

Archived