• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

10 takeaways from Carolina's spring practices

Seltzer

https://www.panthers.com/news/10-takeaways-from-panthers-spring-practices-2019

Nothing truly new here, but did think this takeaway is worth discussion.  In all our excitement about Cam's return to throwing and the potential of the defense (especially the front 7), there still is a major unknown in the offensive line.

On paper, there is more talent there than the team has had in recent years, but we need these guys healthy at training camp to gel together.  We have one presumptive starter (Paradis) and another potential starter (Williams) coming off major injuries, along with a rookie LT (albeit with a lot of potential in Greg Little) that the team is hoping can start. 

Talent or not, having 3 potential new starters and potentially a rookie at LT on the offensive line is not trivial.  Still, I would much rather have the situation than last year when both our starting tackles went down with season-ending injuries (Kalil and Williams) and we were pulling guys off the couch/scrapheap to start.

The overall talent level and depth is much better, but the best offensive lines need good chemistry in addition to talent, and they need time together to get there.  I am glad these guys will be practicing against what should be a dominant defensive line giving them multiple looks in training camp to get better.

My overall excitement level for this season is still sky-high, but keeping Cam healthy is the most important thing, and that starts with an effective offensive line.

5. Where are we at with the O-line?

We honestly don’t know a whole lot more about the offensive line than we did before spring practices. When the pads come on at training camp we’ll quickly find out more.

But here’s what we know: Tackle Daryl Williams didn’t partake in team drills but he’s right on track after what Rivera called “a great offseason.” Ditto for new center Matt Paradis, who is becoming off a season-ending leg injury. And don’t overlook Greg Van Roten, who is looking to lock down the left guard spot again.

As for second-rounder Greg Little, he has a lot of learning to do, #asexpected. Rivera made that clear when he told reporters that Little “can’t just rely on his athleticism anymore.” We’ll see how he handles all that’s thrown at him at training camp. Will the rookie prove to be the opening day starter at left tackle? Or will Williams get the nod in that role? We shall see.

3 minutes ago, caatfan said:

Time will tell but I feel good about the new additions- coaches and players. I think Fewell in particular will get the best out of the DB.

Fewell was an excellent hire.  Plus, with the talent of this Front 7, I'm hoping the secondary doesn't get hung out to dry like they did a lot year with blitzes that didn't get home.

I don't believe that the line was exactly awful last year, which is amazing considering the injuries. We were essentially middle of the pack. According to PFF, our line allowed "16 sacks, 21 hits, and 138 hurries," which was good enough for an 18th ranking in pass pro. Football Outsiders even ranked our line 10th in pass blocking which is kind of surprising, but the way they measure things are a little more convoluted in my opinion. With a healthy Williams and an athletic rookie to groom and come in, we certainly have to get better play than last year, right?

With fractions of a second more and a quicker delivery, hopefully Cam can help the O-line look a little better. I do think that a QB's split-second ability to process his reads, make decisions and deliver the ball plays a significant part in the perception of the O-line. Glad we're hitting a problem from all fronts. 

Didn’t really hear much about the #2 rb spot. I’m assuming Scarlett is the early favorite but I’m not counting out Holyfield. And of course we have Fozzy coming back. 

Looks like 2019 TC will be one of the most exciting  we’ve seen in awhile.

1 hour ago, mc52beast said:

Didn’t really hear much about the #2 rb spot. I’m assuming Scarlett is the early favorite but I’m not counting out Holyfield. And of course we have Fozzy coming back. 

I completely forgot about fozzy

edit: I forgot because he’s a FA

1 hour ago, mc52beast said:

Fozzy?

2 hours ago, mc52beast said:

Fozzy isn't coming back. We didn't sign him so he is a FA.

19 hours ago, top dawg said:

I don't believe that the line was exactly awful last year, which is amazing considering the injuries. We were essentially middle of the pack. According to PFF, our line allowed "16 sacks, 21 hits, and 138 hurries," which was good enough for an 18th ranking in pass pro. Football Outsiders even ranked our line 10th in pass blocking which is kind of surprising, but the way they measure things are a little more convoluted in my opinion. With a healthy Williams and an athletic rookie to groom and come in, we certainly have to get better play than last year, right?

With fractions of a second more and a quicker delivery, hopefully Cam can help the O-line look a little better. I do think that a QB's split-second ability to process his reads, make decisions and deliver the ball plays a significant part in the perception of the O-line. Glad we're hitting a problem from all fronts. 

I think Norv contributed in making them look better than under Shula with playcalling to hide some of the weaknesses. With Williams and Paradis (if they’re healthy) I think this year will be our best OL in Cam’s time here. Add in Norv’s playcalling, a hopefully healthy Cam, and all the speedy weapons we have and there is a ton to be excited about with this offense.

Archived