• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Kicker?

Devil Doc

11 hours ago, Davidson Deac II said:

Ok, I wish they had kept Butker as well, but you have a very short memory.  Gano hasn't had that many opportunities to win the game with a fg, but when he has, he has hit more often than not.  Including  a 63 yarder to beat NY last year, and a game winning fg at New England  the year before.  

DD, that's what Kickers are supposed to do.

Gano is a career long streaky kicker, but he is paid like one of the games best.  Ron has this fuging fascination with touchbacks....we have averaged 4th in touchbacks since RR has been here, and been in the top 5 every season but 2.

We overpay Gano so he can kick deep on KO's, shank XPA like it's his job, miss gimme FG's that cost us games, and occasionally hit FG's that he shouldn't to win us one.

12 hours ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

I believe he is a 6 yr old that got ahold of his mother's phone.  We had a long disagreement over a year ago and he still poos every thread I participant in. 

He provides little valid conversation to any thread.  I addressed it with management a couple of months ago and it  stopped but it has started again. 

We have lost so many good posters because of people like this.

I’ve been posting on this forum since I was sitting in my dorm room in 2005-06. People come and go. It’s an internet message board, not some extravagant meeting of the minds discussing world philosophy. 

Regarding Gano - he has the yips. I don’t trust him but the guy does have a big leg. 

23 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

DD, that's what Kickers are supposed to do.

Gano is a career long streaky kicker, but he is paid like one of the games best.  Ron has this fuging fascination with touchbacks....we have averaged 4th in touchbacks since RR has been here, and been in the top 5 every season but 2.

We overpay Gano so he can kick deep on KO's, shank XPA like it's his job, miss gimme FG's that cost us games, and occasionally hit FG's that he shouldn't to win us one.

And quarterbacks are supposed to make passes that win games, and defensive players are suppose to make tackles and or force turnovers that win games, etc...  Like I said, wish we had kept Butker, and yeah Gano is probably paid to much, but the reality is that in terms of winning games, or missing kicks that lose games, he is better than people give him credit for.  

4 missed field goals in the last two seasons combined (including playoffs)....some of y’all are dramatic as hell. Yeah he’s been towards the bottom when it comes to XP percentage, but I can think of much worse contributors to our failures than a combined 7 points left on the table in the past two seasons.

I would hate to see how you would act if we had an actual kicker crisis like a lot of teams do. Yeah it sucks we didn’t keep Butker because of the money...not cause Gano sucks. They’ve been pretty comparable performance-wise over the past two seasons.

12 minutes ago, MasterAwesome said:

4 missed field goals in the last two seasons combined (including playoffs)....some of y’all are dramatic as hell. Yeah he’s been towards the bottom when it comes to XP percentage, but I can think of much worse contributors to our failures than a combined 7 points left on the table in the past two seasons.

I would hate to see how you would act if we had an actual kicker crisis like a lot of teams do. Yeah it sucks we didn’t keep Butker because of the money...not cause Gano sucks. They’ve been pretty comparable performance-wise over the past two seasons.

Directly lost us the Detroit game last season.

Has been one of the worst on the easiest points in all of football to get.

And no, they haven't been comparable....Butker has outkicked him while costing a fraction....not to mention we had him tied up long term for cheap.

Stupid ass Hurney move.

18 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

Directly lost us the Detroit game last season.

Has been one of the worst on the easiest points in all of football to get.

And no, they haven't been comparable....Butker has outkicked him while costing a fraction....not to mention we had him tied up long term for cheap.

Stupid ass Hurney move.

IMO, a kicker only "directly" loses a game if he misses the ending kick.  Otherwise, you don't know how the game would have played out had the kick been made.  Different plays would have been called.  Electing to go for two and then not making it is the only call that directly cost us the game.  Any mistake that occurred prior were just contributing factors.    

1 hour ago, thefuzz said:

Gano is a career long streaky kicker,

Almost every kicker not named Justin Tucker is streaky.

Hell, Gostkowski is one of the best kickers ever and he's been 84% 2 of the last 3 seasons and was 93.9% in XPs in 2016.

Gano led the league in FG% as recently as 2017 and was 87% last year, which was 14th in the league and ahead of guys you wouldn't think to be streaky (Greg the Leg, Vinatieri, Gostkowski, Crosby, Janikowski).

I'm not saying Gano is perfect or that we couldn't upgrade.  But you gotta realize that almost every kicker outside of Tucker has been streaky over the last 5 years, especially with the XP rule changes.  Dan Bailey went from a 93% kicker to a sub 80% kicker.

Gano is fine.  If a better kicker was available, yeah take a shot.  But the fact is finding better kickers isn't nearly as easy as you imply.

31 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

Gano (2017-2018): 93.5 FG%, 91.4 XP% (9 total missed kicks)

Butker (2017-2018): 89.9 FG%, 95.9 XP% (11 total missed kicks)

Yea, he's outkicked him alright...

Gano's FG% is middle of the pack, above average at best, he's been dependable there more often than he hasn't but he's been shaky at times truthfully.

XP's tell another tale altogether though.

Since entering the league in 2009, Gano has attempted 306 extra point kicks, and made 321.

That's 15 missed extra points in 10 years.

I think Gano is good, I seen him play a game of tic tac toe, whilst kicking the ball to the targets. However, I just figured, like every year, they bring a "Competitive" kicker, just to kick the tires. Sounds like this Slye guy isn't that guy

Archived