• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Wed: Last day at Wofford camp tweets

ncfan

57 minutes ago, Peon Awesome said:

Yeah but by the time we go to the podium for the first time at pick 32, the elite left tackles will have been long gone. 

Right or wrong, the Panthers felt like Little was a first round talent at one of the most premium positions in football that was a legitimate team need. Generally speaking, when you're deciding between drafting a comparable guard or tackle, you pick the tackle. It's a lot easier to find a quality guard later in the draft. Heck Daley may turn into one, although he seems pretty raw right now. 

First, if we are picking anywhere near that late we should all be happy. But we dove head first into an awful LT class. It wasn’t just Little. I didn’t want any of them. And there were many option. While many options were available,  we’ll focus on the guard scenario. Sure wouldn’t trade up for one, so at 47 AND 77 I could have drafted McCoy/Deiter AND Khalen Saunders. A good LT is more valuable than a Good OG. No doubt. But it cost us an extra pick. And 8M tp sign McCoy because we passed on one of the best DL classes the entire draft. We walked out of the draft with Vernon Butler as a starter by default! Think about that. Or still get Froholdt at 115 after Thornhill, Saunders and Cajuste or CGJ. Follow that with A badly needed  DL( Mack,  Omenihu)  and instead of a project LT, a QB who we hope never plays, a solid 5th edge defender in a 4-man rotation and a backup RB,  we fill  a lot of present and future holes and still have a developmental LT and G. Many options. 

10 hours ago, ncfan said:

Not to be greedy, but we are playing to be short sided with these moves.  We're making win now moves.  And with some aging core and a QB with injury history i see why.

We had a OT who had proven (preseason+regular season vs a all-pro or not).  We couldve solidified the OL all the way across.  Now we have Williams at LT, who some critisized him on here because they thought he was overrated at RT.  And a OG who was undrafted, on his 5th team (including a CFL team) and graded out as one of the worst starting interior OL in the league last year.

We couldve stayed (shorted sighted) and strengthened the OL all the way across with no holes just for this year then draft one in the first next year (by the way next years OT class is projected to be even stronger than this year)

Instead we still have a weakness at LG, and drafted a LT instesd that may not even start and need growing until 2020.

Would we not still be playing Daryl Williams at LT in your scenario if we drafted Risner? It seems like the only thing that would change is the LG position...but part of your criticism of our current line is Williams at LT, so that doesn’t make sense to me unless I’m misunderstanding you.

I’ve never heard of a team neglecting any position in the current draft in anticipation of a strong draft class the following year. Seems extremely dangerous and reckless to me...you never know how the draft is gonna pan out or what pick you’re going to have.

I disagree that we need to be in “win now” mode. Who is our “aging core” that you’re referring to? We have a few key members of our team at 30-31 (Cam, Kawann, McCoy) but a pretty young team outside of that. Bradberry/Jackson at CB, Reid at SS, Burns/Haynes/Miller at OLB/DE, Kuechly in his prime, CMC/Moore/Samuel, Ian Thomas ready to take over at TE, fairly young o-line, etc.

17 hours ago, BigSyke said:

How did Cody ford look? We could have had him if i'm not mistaken.

I still think Panthers should have kept Moton at LT. Its just too dangerous to play with especially with Cam coming off injury.

Ford is their RT of the future and might start off at guard. We needed a LT which is why we drafted Little. It’s insanely early to be comparing any draft picks though...

8 hours ago, MasterAwesome said:

Would we not still be playing Daryl Williams at LT in your scenario if we drafted Risner? It seems like the only thing that would change is the LG position...but part of your criticism of our current line is Williams at LT, so that doesn’t make sense to me unless I’m misunderstanding you.

We probably would but we would fix atleast 1 hole.  Instead of Williams and a huge weakspot beside him at LG.  We couldve had a Williams and a Stud beside him at LG who is atarter ready.  Remember a stud LG can help bail that OT sometimes.  Norwell bailed out the LTs a Ton, then when he was gone the OL fell off the ledge.

And the guy we couldve and I said we shouldve drafted there at LG is already turning heads and looking like a stud in Denver (wouldve been a Hige upgrade to this OL This year vs a OT thats going to sit out this year to groom)

8 hours ago, MasterAwesome said:

We probably would but we would fix atleast 1 hole.  Instead of Williams and a huge weakspot beside him at LG.  We couldve had a Williams and a Stud beside him at LG who is atarter ready.  Remember a stud LG can help bail that OT sometimes.  Norwell bailed out the LTs a Ton, then when he was gone the OL fell off the ledge.

And the guy we couldve and I said we shouldve drafted there at LG is already turning heads and looking like a stud in Denver (wouldve been a Hige upgrade to this OL This year vs a OT thats going to sit out this year to groom)

Anyone who thought any rookie should start at LT (one of the most critical positions) doesn't care about Newton's welfare. I am glad Williams is out there. Little may very well work out. But to assume he would be great out of box is overestimating any rookie's ability. 

Archived