• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

clearing up this kyle allen vs cam newton battle

Saca312

11 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

You know that's not how it works, Sac.

You're paid based on what you're going to do, not what you've done. "Thank you" contracts are something only stupid teams do.

Given Newton's age and injury history over the past few years, it's perfectly valid to question the wisdom of giving him a big money contract.

I know everybody thinks it sucks (me included) but that's football.

probably should've included the last bit.

i guess what i should've said was prior to injury, he definitely deserves more for what he's put into the franchise. and now sadly, he's been hurt too much.

i agree. i don't know if it would be wise to give cam money especially given his injury history. im more or less arguing that he has huge past accomplishments, but now his talent was essentially squandered by this franchise.

15 minutes ago, GoobyPls said:

It would have been about a 58 yarder from what I can tell, within his range.

An Watson played horrible, so I don’t know where your getting at?

Sorry but if you have 3 turnover, zero TD and don’t do nothing for the majority of the game I’m not giving you the benefit of the doubt. Like I said put 90% of QBs in the league would have won that game yesterday including backups.

You seem to think the play doesn't impact the evaluation of a 2nd year player's contribution to the game because we have a kicker that can potentially make 60 yard field goals... that is strange. He didn't play a great game but he had some nice throws, more than he had poor throws for sure.  He took what the defense gave him and we won because of it.  

Not all turnovers are equal.  Context matters in this game. Allens bears responsiblity for the fumbles. But so too does the o line.  This is clearly an area he must improve on.

Allen got the ball where it needed to go when the game was on the line. Saying we won in spite of him ignores that fact.  We certainly didnt win because of him... I think it was a defense-led team effort.  I do not think 90% of qbs in the league win that game, given one of the better ones on the opposing team couldn't. 

1 hour ago, thebigcat said:

100%

when Cam gets rattled, he’s checking out mentally

Did he check out last year when he came back to beat the eagles after having a bad 3 quarters? Did he check against the Falcons when that pos took his head off  when he slid gave himself up. How about that terrible game he had against the Falcons year before the last at the end of the season just to comeback and play great against saints in playoffs where he also took another big hit and still almost won us the game. Or how about that 2016 opener against the broncos where he kept getting speared in the head but still put us in a position to win but gano missed the field goal.

I can keep going with this, but the point is the statements like this are just part of the conventional process of downplaying anything Cam does because nothing is good enough no matter how much he puts in. 

BULLSHIT WE ALWAYS BE BULLSHIT 

All valid points, but one thing you did not touch on was how the team has responded to each QB. The team looked depressed and unmotivated playing with Cam Newton this season and late last season. The energy he usually has wasn't there and it permeated down the entire roster. Yes, the injuries probably had a major role to play in that. But you can't discount the attitude change on the field, the change to Allen has made a positive impact in that area.

Cam is a polarizing guy. There are players on the roster that don't care for his personality, just like there are some fans who don't either. Cam is weirdly attention seeking and that can rub people the wrong way. But when the team wins, no one cares. When they lose, those problems get amplified.

Let's just hope Cam comes back healthy, regains his MVP form, and leads this team into the playoffs. Because if he comes back and the team looks depressed and lethargic again, he's done. 

1 hour ago, GoobyPls said:

Why do people keep bring up records? Yesterday we won in spite of Allen, last week we won cause of Allen. Wins without context doesn’t mean sh*t.

Trubisky went 12-4, I wouldn’t pay him a nickel. Jared Goff went to the SB last season, I wouldn’t pay him either. 

I wouldn't say "in spite of"... He didn't sack himself.  Those fumbles were certainly partially his fault, but it's not like he let the defenders hit him.

17 minutes ago, Steve_Smith_Sr. said:

Cam Newton is not Drew Brees... not even close.  If Cam had Drew's accuracy everyone on this board would be screaming to sign him to a big dollar contract.  Fact is he doesn't and is the 3rd best QB in the NFC south.

Please please please tell me you aren’t saying Matt Ryan is better than Cam Newton lol

Archived