• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

This thread has nothing to do with our qb situation. Promise.

1of10Charnatives

The pass rush is without a doubt much improved. This is creating opportunities for the secondary to create turnovers. We're letting teams put up pretty big numbers through the air, but then again we're putting teams in situations where they're forced to abandon the run and throw the ball to try to comeback. The Niners will be a big test for the D because we've looked a little soft against the run and they're the #2 rushing offense in the league. They're going to line up and try to run it down our throats. It'll be interesting to see how we handle that. So far we've faced two good rushing teams. The Texans got right at their season average against us and the Jags got about 25 yards over their season average. The Niners aren't a good rushing offense, they're a GREAT rushing offense. They'd be the #1 rushing offense in the league in any other season in recent memory but this year the Ravens are off to a record setting rushing pace.

4 minutes ago, Jaxel said:

I'll give you a topic. 

3 the of the sacks were directly related to awesome secondary coverage. The secondary is balling out this year. If they continue to improve, we could really have a 2015 Denver Bronco's looking D.

The coverage does look pretty solid, especially considering Dante was out. You're not gonna completely shut everybody down, but Evans caught 9 balls and didn't even break 100 yards. Seems pretty contained if you ask me.

1 minute ago, 1of10Charnatives said:

It is scary how much you seem to know about my luck. But I have a backup plan. If a dude answers, I'll assume he was also a little intoxicated and remind him how he promised to help fix the privacy fence in my backyard next weekend in exchange for pizza and beer. Win win. I'm just more worried that Erin looks like Aaron, cause I don't have a contingency for that other than to tell her I'm bigdavis.

Send it over here - it can fix my fence.  I am an equal opportunity employer.

6 minutes ago, raz said:

they put up mid twenties points and he threw for 400 yds.  and 5 picks and a fumble.  did the game last 8 quarters?  how did all that happen?

Most of that was the coverage backing off for deeper plays in a semi prevent, cover 4 scheme— it was addressed by the nfl crew after the game ha.

tampa took advantage, made them look better but it was just to run the clock out.

we all get pissed because of this, teams get to make a bid to come back— we like to stay aggressive.

but it was pointed out to me that Atlanta tried to stay aggressive with the Patriots at 28-3,... look how that turned out.

3 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

The pass rush is without a doubt much improved. This is creating opportunities for the secondary to create turnovers. We're letting teams put up pretty big numbers through the air, but then again we're putting teams in situations where they're forced to abandon the run and throw the ball to try to comeback. The Niners will be a big test for the D because we've looked a little soft against the run and they're the #2 rushing offense in the league. They're going to line up and try to run it down our throats. It'll be interesting to see how we handle that. So far we've faced two good rushing teams. The Texans got right at their season average against us and the Jags got about 25 yards over their season average. The Niners aren't a good rushing offense, they're a GREAT rushing offense. They'd be the #1 rushing offense in the league in any other season in recent memory but this year the Ravens are off to a record setting rushing pace.

Interesting observations. I agree. We're not dominating people in terms of shutting them down completely,but we're clearly not allowing them to do what they want to do or do it comfortably. 

10 minutes ago, raz said:

yeah i'm not seeing the 3-4 hybrid thing either.  maybe it was on the other channel

Been saying for a while that the 3-4 and 4-3 have essentially evolved into the same thing these days with the amount of Nickel defense that is being played. They both in essence become a 4-2-5.

In the 4-3 you take out a LB to bring in a DB and in the 3-4 you take out a DL and the OLBs become DEs

You're thinking it looks like a 4-3 more often than not because we have been putting one or both of the edge rushers on the line rather than back away from it.

We're also stacking the box more than we used to, and you can thank Shaq's abilities for that. He's been all over the field.

We still have a tendency to play the zone a little too much for my liking, especially when Donte was out there, but it has been better in recent weeks. Bradberry has been somewhat hit and miss in Man, but is versatile enough to not let people get behind him too much. He is better in zone, but I digress.

The switch to 3-4 has been awesome, actually. I said long ago that Poe would do better in this system. It turns out Big Vern is playing very well in it too. Our rush is a lot more noticeable, but we need to be more consistent. When we're hot, though, we're blazing.

The other topic I'll raise that doesn't directly involve the QB controversy is that Norv's playcalling and selection has been extremely conservative lately. I think it has some to do with Allen being in there, sure, but some of the run play calls, especially late in the game, and some of the route trees have been terrible. We need to fix that fast, or teams will start exposing it. We've been getting by on the athleticism of Moore, Samuel, and CMC to compensate, but we're only operating at about 50% of our potential.

Archived