• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Kyle Allen and his fumbling issues.

ellis

5 minutes ago, mjligon said:

JAGs

unfortunately not every quarterback can be Cam Newton.  Luckily for us, Allen is playing better than a JAG for now.  

if we actually compare Allen to his peers - other young QBs that have started more than one game - we can see he is performing as well, or better, than multiple 1st rounders.  perhaps they are all JAGs s well, but I would say it is too early to judge them that way. below I have highlighted the top 3 (including ties) in green for a given category, and the bottom three in red in a category.  I pulled these numbers off of PFF and they should be updated.

71okSDM.png

(sorry for size of image)

a couple notes - 1DP/G is first downs passing per game (and so Jackson is actually far ahead in this category despite not being in green lol), Drop % is percent of dropped passes and so is less about the QB and more about the receiving targets they have...

Allen clearly has deficiencies in his game - most notably in his deep ball.  He has other problems as well, and  I do not think anyone reasonable is sold he is any kind of answer.  but it is worth comparing him to other young QBs when considering how he is playing.

I really like his ball placement and throws up to ~20 yards.  I like how he has grown weekly in certain areas (pocket presence, cutting down on fumbles, looking off safeties).   I like that he has a knack for finding throws to extend drives.  I liked how he bounced back after a bad outing vs SF, and how he gets right up and performs after mistakes, sacks, etc.  I have enjoyed the long drives he has lead in multiple games this year, and they give me hope he could improve.  I don't think he is doing any of it himself, nor would I suggest so, and nor am I one of the two people on this forum that somehow think he is better than a healthy Newton lol.  But I can still enjoy his play, and hope he improves.  So I will... because even if Allen continues to develop *and* Cam comes back at 100% and blows the NFL apart next year, we've at least got a great backup and perhaps some good trade bait.

Just now, mav1234 said:

unfortunately not every quarterback can be Cam Newton.  Luckily for us, Allen is playing better than a JAG for now.  

if we actually compare Allen to his peers - other young QBs that have started more than one game - we can see he is performing as well, or better, than multiple 1st rounders.  perhaps they are all JAGs s well, but I would say it is too early to judge them that way. below I have highlighted the top 3 (including ties) in green for a given category, and the bottom three in red in a category.  I pulled these numbers off of PFF and they should be updated.

71okSDM.png

(sorry for size of image)

a couple notes - 1DP/G is first downs passing per game (and so Jackson is actually far ahead in this category despite not being in green lol), Drop % is percent of dropped passes and so is less about the QB and more about the receiving targets they have...

Allen clearly has deficiencies in his game - most notably in his deep ball.  He has other problems as well, and  I do not think anyone reasonable is sold he is any kind of answer.  but it is worth comparing him to other young QBs when considering how he is playing.

I really like his ball placement and throws up to ~20 yards.  I like how he has grown weekly in certain areas (pocket presence, cutting down on fumbles, looking off safeties).   I like that he has a knack for finding throws to extend drives.  I liked how he bounced back after a bad outing vs SF, and how he gets right up and performs after mistakes, sacks, etc.  I have enjoyed the long drives he has lead in multiple games this year, and they give me hope he could improve.  I don't think he is doing any of it himself, nor would I suggest so, and nor am I one of the two people on this forum that somehow think he is better than a healthy Newton lol.  But I can still enjoy his play, and hope he improves.  So I will... because even if Allen continues to develop *and* Cam comes back at 100% and blows the NFL apart next year, we've at least got a great backup and perhaps some good trade bait.

KA's biggest attribute that I love is his short memory. He does not let his mistakes take him out of the game mentally. His demeanor of calm and happy go lucky personality is something not many possess for his age. 

Once he gets experience of a season or two, he is going to be a good QB for someone. 

7 minutes ago, ecu88 said:

Once he gets experience of a season or two, he is going to be a good QB for someone. 

Maybe.  I've seen a lot of players come in, play well a few games, and never become much.  I do think he has better touch on his throws than I would expect from a lot of young players.  But his deep ball is suspect, which is unusual because it looked like a strength vs NO.

Archived