• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Alan vs Newton. Be honest. Who is better?

Alan Turn vs Isaac Newton  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Who was better? Alan or Newton?

I'm gonna interrupt the fun here for some important NFL news.

It's being reported that the cat is still loose in MetLife Stadium.

All efforts to find and corral him so far have failed. It's considered quite possible that he may make another on field appearance in this weekend's game.

1 hour ago, PghPanther said:

Interesting you are on a subject I have a great deal of passion about..........

Isaac Newton may have been the greatest genius to have ever lived.........a person no less that the credentials of Albert Einstein said this about him.

Look, imagine this for a minute........

Newton invented...........yes invented calculus up to all differential components................and without it no structural engineering in modern society would exist today, neither would high speed travel of any kind.

Now how does one get to the point of being proficient in differential calculus to obtain a civil engineering degree?

Well first you need basic math of grade school........then a year or two of Algerbra.........then years of Trig....along with Euclidean (2D) and Rihmenn (sp?) (3D) geometry...and calculus...most of this in high school and college.........an investment of time in calculus takes a 2 to 4 years to master when you add differential calculus to the equation.........

Newton...........at the age of 26 on a dare from his friend of how to comprehend gravitational forces with projectiles and structural objects..........went home on one weekend...........and invented calculus as a mathematical relationship that explained all those observations.

One weekend!!!.........at the age of 26!!!

When it takes brilliant minds many years to master the applications of his equations!!!

and he invented in in a few days????

Maybe he wasn't from this planet.......that's mind blowing.......

THIS is the kind of in depth and sensible analysis the Huddle has been lacking lately ;)

And in all seriousness, it’s something I’m quite passionate about as well. Got into quantum mechanics a few years ago. It’s amazing to open that door. There’s a whole new world we still no practically nothing about yet.

13 hours ago, TheMostInterestingMan said:

@Happy Panther is letting me down. After our brief Musk conversation the other day, I was looking forward to him contributing and helping us put an end to this once and for all. What say you?!

Newton no doubt had the most influence on the world. He was the father of countless things and as somebody noted above a pure genius. He was the right person for the job. But the job would have been completed eventually.

Turing was the right man for a job that had to be done at that moment. Bletchley park won the war for the allies. The secrecy around it is so interesting. Like they made sure the heights of all the people there followed a bell curve in case Axis powers somehow got the information. And they broke unbreakable codes. But they had to keep that a secret too. 

I still don't understand what in the heck a turing machine does.

Anyway there is an interesting book that deals with Bletchley park and some of its obscure stuff. It's mostly fiction but a different read.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryptonomicon

1 hour ago, Happy Panther said:

Newton no doubt had the most influence on the world. He was the father of countless things and as somebody noted above a pure genius. He was the right person for the job. But the job would have been completed eventually.

Turing was the right man for a job that had to be done at that moment. Bletchley park won the war for the allies. The secrecy around it is so interesting. Like they made sure the heights of all the people there followed a bell curve in case Axis powers somehow got the information. And they broke unbreakable codes. But they had to keep that a secret too. 

I still don't understand what in the heck a turing machine does.

Anyway there is an interesting book that deals with Bletchley park and some of its obscure stuff. It's mostly fiction but a different read.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryptonomicon

Cryptonomicon is a fantastic read

Archived