• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Did We Need This Season...

SetfreexX

From the selection of Grier to the Kyle Allen early histeria and the franchise QB talk did we need this season to really see what Cam has meant to this roster the last several years...

2018 - Pre-Injury (6-2)

Starting OL - Clark (Off a Couch) / GVR / Old Kalil / Turner / Moton

(Funchess / Smith - were the starting receivers)

2017 - Wildcard Battle / Close loss to the Saints

Starting OL - MATT KALIL / Larsen (UDFA) / Kalil/ Turner / Williams

(No Receivers)

The fact that so many, fans, media, etc were ready to announce a guy (Allen) that can't do more with more as the successor just because Cam was dealing with an injury most of this season, it's like people just forgot who OUR QB was. 

I really hope we do the smart thing and bring Cam back, and use this potentially top 10 draft position to help fill some of the gaps we'll have after this off-season with decisions to be made on guys like:

• Addison
  • Thompson
  • Bradberry
  • Irvin
  • GMC
  • Poe

That is 6 defensive starters, I'd be inclined to think we either cut / look to restructure Poe to free up space, I'd be surprised if GMC left for a new team in FA, and considering the seasons Shaq / Bradberry are having I can't see them commanding top dollar. Williams' 6M also falls off the books as well as I doubt he returns and if he does not at that number. 

Either way I'm not as down on next season barring health team wide, and that's a BIG if. 

But I understand your point. I think there’s a lot of unknown about next year. I was pretty confident at training camp. The energy felt good. That damn foot injury in New England really screwed things up. Then again, that doesn’t account for the horrible run defense. 

I guess in the way that you may not know how many bugs you have until you turn on the lights in your kitchen in the middle of the night..... 

So is Tepper going to:

Ignore the bugs(keep coaching staff and GM). 

Get some bug spray (keep either GM or coach)

Call the exterminator (get rid of GM and coach)

Burn the muth#E$#$##$ house down (get rid of everybody including Cam and start over excluding CMC and Kuechly). 

11 minutes ago, ellis said:

But I understand your point. I think there’s a lot of unknown about next year. I was pretty confident at training camp. The energy felt good. That damn foot injury in New England really screwed things up. Then again, that doesn’t account for the horrible run defense. 

I agree, but I also think we anticipated having a much more potent offense than what we have now, if we are consistently able to score points, that lessens the other teams ability to run the ball. 

Similar in theory to those IND Colts teams that were smaller / fast on defense able to tee off most games because the offense was so good, I honestly believe without the injury we were looking at a 2015 caliber offense as far as PPG. 

When you look at our defense that to me is how we were built, we had ''enough'' to stop the run (Short / Poe / KK) to take up blockers and eat up space -- then Addison / Burns / Shaq / Kuechly / Irvin as the LBs in run /coverage support with the speed on the edge to get to the QB in waves, even Haynes has been semi demoted because we simply need bigger bodies because we can't score, so we're having to play the run honestly.

11 minutes ago, tiger7_88 said:

I’m gonna give the haters something new to laugh about, but here it is:

This team isn’t just sorely missing Cam’s talent under center.

Its also missing his leadership... bigly.

I think Ron is a good leader of men, I do not think over his tenor that he's been a good to great coach, I'd say average. He's held the locker room together, and guys seem to play hard for him. 

However, it seems like he is routinely bad in the ''coaching'' aspects of coaching,

Talent Evaluation: seems bad (I say this as a fan, not as a professional anything) but damn near EVERY year we have a young guy we all believe is good get benched to play behind a veteran only for that veteran who was never great to begin with gets hurt and all of a sudden what we believed to be true was. 

In-Game Adjustments / Clock Management: Need I say more

Philosophy: In my opinion his ''ball control'' play defense philosophy is out-dated, we need to modernize the approach a bit, I'm not saying T.O.P. isn't apart of the formula but depending on the opponent it shouldn't be the only determining factor. It seems like all we care about is keeping the defense fresh, when we can't score, a fresh defense will still get worn down. 

Burning Out Stud Players: Cam, Luke, CMC -- we lean on these guys, or have leaned on them too much, CMC can still be great with an 80% snap count, i don't want a Gurley esque situation. 

Our D has been worst case scenario. Offense has been CMC or bust. PSL holders should have been given the option for a year opt-out once Hurney and Ron were retained due to Tepper's training wheels. This year is the equivilant to a porta potty at a Beer, Brocolli and Baked Beans festival.

1 hour ago, Waldo said:

Our D has been worst case scenario. Offense has been CMC or bust. PSL holders should have been given the option for a year opt-out once Hurney and Ron were retained due to Tepper's training wheels. This year is the equivilant to a porta potty at a Beer, Brocolli and Baked Beans festival.

Pied for alliteration. 

Just now, thefuzz said:

The rah rah fans needed this season.

Anyone with two eyes and a half alive brain figured this is exactly what would happen.

So, yes, some of us needed to see this, including Tepper, and some of us didn't.

If you could go back and read the expectations that people had before this season started...

You know what? You probably shouldn't.

Archived