• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rivera’s send off was Elegant, Foxes departure was cold

Hotsauce

Nothing reallt elegant about being fired midseason... that being said, i respect teppers reason. He didnt want to sneak behind ron's back and wanted to be upfront with him.

Personally, i didnt agree with the firing... but we are rebuilding now so i am focused on the future and i wish ron success in his next venture. I just hope he goes to the afc. 

I still wonder how much sway he actually had in Denver.  I mean in his first year they were kind of a tuff physical run the footbawl type team, especially with Tim (redacted) in 2011.  But after that when Manning was there they had an expensive FA quarterback, record-smashing offense, etc.  That's the complete opposite of his style.

The end of Fox's tenure was like a bitter divorce except it required a year to finalize and the two parties had to stay in the same house in the meantime. No surprise, Fox was flippant towards the organization from then on knowning JR was too cheap to fire him. Even in retrospect, that whole episode dampens my thoughts about Fox to where I'm not that upset that Ron got a better sendoff. 

26 minutes ago, BurnHurnBurn said:

No.  Cam and Luke beat out anything Fox had. 

Idk the collection of Jenkins, Buckner, Morgan, Gamble, Lucas, Minter, Peppers, Rucker, Muhammad, Hoover, Kalil, Deshaun Foster, Stephen Davis, Williams and Stewart, Gross, Wharton, Beason,  Munnerlyn, Kemoatu John Kasay, Will Witherspoon, TD, GOAT Steve Smith in their primes vs

Cam, Olsen, Steve Smith Sr, Ted Ginn, KB, Oher, Norwell, Turner, Kalil, McCoy, Old Stew + D Will, CMC, Cotchery, Byrd, Corey Brown, Funchess,   Star,KK, Old Pep, Addison, Thomas Davis, Eric Reid, Norman, Gano, Bradberry, Shaq, GOAT Luke

Id say Fox’s teams were built better overall but Rivera had the right pieces to overcome deficiencies. Particularly when we had Ted Ginn and we were able to take deep shots and score quickly.

That 2008 Fox team was absolutely stacked. The only weakness was its QB. If Fox just would have pulled Jake for Moore we might have had another NFC Championship at least.

I'm pretty sure Fox still had a press conference or at least spoke with reporters after the season ended and it was confirmed he wasn't going to return... Fox was somewhat defiant also, and made a point to say his contract ended, not that he had been fired.  It wasn't the drawn-out, good vibes farewell Rivera got, but I don't Fox would have wanted that anyways.

In essence, he wanted to move on as much as the Panthers did.  And beyond the absolute dysfunction that was the 2010 season in Carolina, it was a weird time for the entire NFL with the lockout looming.  It came out after the fact that the team had allowed Fox to explore other options after the 2009 season, and him returning after nothing materialized.  Having Fox return in 2010 was a bad, bad idea from start to finish.  Still, Fox mostly took the high road like Rivera IIRC.  He knew he had other head coaching jobs available.  

I saw Ron Rivera this weekend in Pineville near the Chipotle. I spoke and told him we love him. he seemed happy and so unbothered by the Panthers.

I'm sure.  He's not going to have an additional 4 losses on his resume, and he's going to be getting paid from 2 different teams next year.  I can't imagine too many scenarios where I would be down going into a new year where I would get a new job (and the accompanying Honeymoon period) all the while collecting over $10M next year (salary from Panthers on final year of his contract plus new team... hell it may be over $15M).  

Anyway, I imagine it's a strange situation to be in for any coach.  Your sole focus is on your team, and then one day it's not.  I'm sure the best thing is to try to mentally disconnect as much as possible as soon as possible to focus on getting your new coaching job.

8 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Rivera is a nice person.

Fox is not. 

Got any proof Fox isn’t a nice person? Many many years ago - I waited on him and his wife and they were nice and a pleasure to deal with. I understand this is a small sample size but I’ve heard Coach Fox was a nice man from others. 

Archived