• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Best Cam Contract Extension Possibility

CanadianCat

58 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

Shouldn't that be the goal?

It's what the Hawks did with Russell, and almost got two SB's out of it.  It's what Andy is doing with Mahommes, and should have accomplished last season.  It's what the Ravens are doing with Lamar, and they may get a trophy this season.

It's what we should have done with Cam, but we are a dumb team.

The point here, is if the team, that means new GM, HC, and the owner aren't fully convinced that Cam can regain his Superman status, then that is the way to go.  Don't be a dumbass team like the Jets or Chicago in this process, be better, smarter.

yeah that would be awesome but if you're playing the odds what's a bigger reach, nailing a future 100m qb in the draft or playing the 100m qb you've got if you think he can play and then trying to nail a draft the following year instead if you're wrong?

seems like there's really only one choice to me

Just now, PhillyB said:

yeah that would be awesome but if you're playing the odds what's a bigger reach, nailing a future 100m qb in the draft or playing the 100m qb you've got if you think he can play and then trying to nail a draft the following year instead if you're wrong?

seems like there's really only one choice to me

You are saying what I have been saying the entire time.  If the new regime thinks that Cam is healthy, and can stay that way, keep him.

He will need to play out his current contract.

If he refuses, or the team doesn't think that he is healthy, or can get that way, you move on via trade or release.

If that happens, then you go after a QB this year in the 1st if your guy is there, or you build the offensive line and defensive line and let Grier play and you hope for a top 3 pick next season.

51 minutes ago, Raleigh PF said:

(i)  As Mr. Scot said, if you are Cam, why would you agree to such a contract?

(ii)  Remember, there are teams willing to trade for him. 

(i)  Because it's your only option.

(ii)  I don't believe there are.  That said, even if there are it doesn't matter because short of a Herschel Walker like offer Tepper won't trade Cam.  (and that offer ain't coming)

The misconception is that extension means bring out the Brinks truck and go all out. A long term extension makes no sense for either side:

1. For the Panthers it's too risky given his injury history

2. For Cam it's too safe. If he gets back to 100% and plays to his capabilities he would be worth close to $35 million. So locking himself in at a below market deal for several years isn't good for him either.

That's where they can find common ground and agree to a low risk, 1-year extension.

58 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

Shouldn't that be the goal?

Yes it ALWAYS is for every team.

It's what the Hawks did with Russell, and almost got two SB's out of it.  It's what Andy is doing with Mahommes, and should have accomplished last season.  It's what the Ravens are doing with Lamar, and they may get a trophy this season.

Seahawks struck gold. Wilson was not their plan at QB Flynn was. Its very rare that even a 1st round QB plays as well as Mahommes and Lamar are. Its definitely the plan but most QB's take more time to develop. 

It's what we should have done with Cam, but we are a dumb team.

Your right. The team should have invested more EARLIER in Cam... But how the team was built did get us to a super bowl.. 

1 minute ago, CanadianCat said:

Yes it ALWAYS is for every team.

Seahawks struck gold. Wilson was not their plan at QB Flynn was. Its very rare that even a 1st round QB plays as well as Mahommes and Lamar are. Its definitely the plan but most QB's take more time to develop. 

Your right. The team should have invested more EARLIER in Cam... But how the team was built did get us to a super bowl.. 

My point, is that it can be done, and the teams that have done it that way have had some success doing so.

There are more as well, it's not like it's those three only.  Kap and Goff both got to SB's as well as their contracts made it so easy to surround them with talent.

Marty Hurney and Ron Rivera weren't smart enough to figure this out with Cam, and here we are, possibly looking down the barrel of this situation once again.

1 hour ago, thefuzz said:

No, I thought that whatever deal they signed as rookies was the only deal they will ever get.....

They are cheap for 5 years, then get very expensive....cool.  Not shocking to anyone who follows the sport.

The point, is you said "no QB worth his salt will ever be cheap again", and that's simply not true.

I have no idea if that will happen to us, but if the team isn't fully convinced that Cam is healthy, and can stay that way, that is our best route to take.

Unfortunately in an evolving sports world where contracts are ballooning, it's a little more detailed than "then they get very expensive".

Not only are top quality NFL quarterbacks "expensive", but they are also getting more and more leverage over teams, even when they are up there in age. The second highest paid quarterback in the league right now is 37 year old Ben Roethlisberger at 34 million dollars a year. With that in mind just how much do you think Patrick Mahomes, Lamar Jackson, or Deshaun Watson for example will command playing at a high level in their prime? From what it looks like right now the quarterback market will be resetting quite a few times over the next decade, and it does not appear to be going anywhere but up. You want to be a perennial contender with a legitimate franchise quarterback? Prepare for a very large chunk of your salary cap to be used up for several years sooner rather than later.

11 minutes ago, TheRed said:

Unfortunately in an evolving sports world where contracts are ballooning, it's a little more detailed than "then they get very expensive".

Not only are top quality NFL quarterbacks "expensive", but they are also getting more and more leverage over teams, even when they are up there in age. The second highest paid quarterback in the league right now is 37 year old Ben Roethlisberger at 34 million dollars a year. With that in mind just how much do you think Patrick Mahomes, Lamar Jackson, or Deshaun Watson for example will command playing at a high level in their prime? From what it looks like right now the quarterback market will be resetting quite a few times over the next decade, and it does not appear to be going anywhere but up. You want to be a perennial contender with a legitimate franchise quarterback? Prepare for a very large chunk of your salary cap to be used up for several years sooner rather than later.

I want to win a Lombardi, first and foremost. 

What we have seen over the past decade plus is that unless you play in New England, you have a better chance of doing that with a young cheap QB rather than having a "franchise" QB on the roster.  I don't care about anything else, just that.

Again, I want a healthy Cam Newton on our roster, but if that isn't going to happen, go after the young QB and lets try to win the damn thing. 

1 hour ago, Raleigh PF said:

As Mr. Scot said, if you are Cam, why would you agree to such a contract? Remember, there are teams willing to trade for him. 

Betting on himself, showing he deserves it? Not just because of the position he plays or who he is... I mean, I'd love for us to trade him and start fresh with a rookie contract, because we can't bring in the talent needed if his contract is on our books. His play doesn't justify what his salary costs the team as a whole.

59 minutes ago, CanadianCat said:

I cannot see a 100% incentive contract getting done but I could see something with a injury exit clause. 

Both I doubt he will take. Cam will go where the most guaranteed money is. Next year that's the Panthers after that who knows. 

Cam's incentives , not just the money, but what will he be surrounded with ??   We've never given him a #1 receiver. He's made some average receivers look good.

Cam has no incentive to take a incentive laden contract.  Why should he.  If he plays next season and is 100% again, he'll prove his worth,  we pay him, or franchise tag him ( big money for QBs ) .. 

If's he not healthy, or has a bad year,  the team cuts and runs.  ( we're still without a franchise QB ) .

Cam doesn't have to gamble ( he should have enough money that if this all goes south for him he can do nothing or be on TV etc )) ,  the Panthers do have to gamble ( like with Shaq ).  Without a franchise QB, and the team we have on the field, we are looking at many years of rebuilding,,  if we're good and drafting and signing free agents , no franchise QB,  we're still talking 2-3 years of cellar  dwelling. Stadium half empty.

Figure out a way to have a franchise QB , or roll the dice..  This team is getting old.

Archived