• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Will Interview Baylor's Matt Rhule

bobsfoodbasics

1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

I would tend to lean away from that kind of thing if he is ultra pushy about it, that is for sure. I am sure it goes over well in Texass but, as you said, dealing with adults it will work for some and be rather off putting for others. 

That said, the one thing I would give that "preaching" crowd is that they are typically pretty charismatic. If he isn't too Jesus-y, I can definitely see that kind of fire and brimstone delivery working for coaching. Honestly, not too dissimilar from what you usually see.  

He'd probably say "f---" a lot less than Rivera did :)

9 minutes ago, TheRumGone said:

He’s a hardcore Christian. They call him reverend Rhule. He has an evangelical delivery schtick. I think that’s fine for college programs especially Baylor who needed a “cleanse” so to speak but pro athletes are gonna tune this dude the fug out.

Hmm thanks for the insight. Makes me more iffy about him. We’ll likely figure out his level of corn dog preacher in the interview process.

5 minutes ago, TheRumGone said:

I don’t think there’s any toning down. I think this is who he is. It’s mad corny and adults will see through it. 

Yeah, I mean I have no idea because I don't know him personally. It would be something I would absolutely evaluate if I was responsible for making the hire, no question about that. I don't begrudge any specific group their beliefs(even as an atheist), I just don't wouldn't them to be causing friction in the workplace by being overly aggressive. 

I am much more concerned about the football side of the equation than that, however. 

4 minutes ago, davos said:

Hmm thanks for the insight. Makes me more iffy about him. We’ll likely figure out his level of corn dog preacher in the interview process.

One of the big things that make great coaches is being able to relate to players along with other things obviously. But Rhule gives me pause from everything I’ve read. I really don’t think he would do well in a pro locker room. I could be totally wrong but it’s something Tepper would have to evaluate and analyze in his search.  

I’d say most coaches in the nfl are Christians but Rhule just seems very shticky to me. I personally would zone him the fug out if he was my coach.

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

The report that he wants total control scares me.

...me too. hes the one college entrant that i actually like... where Temper has brass balls this dude has steel balls.... he would need to be checked and corralled for sure in an NFL role...red flag...might be too chip kelleyesque .....

10 minutes ago, Snake said:

What am I missing with this guy. It's not like he even beat OU. Plus it's the Big 12 who are not the SEC tbh. 

I don't the conference he comes from would have much to do with his NFL transition. The college football system is completely different and has it's own set of unequal structures which do not exist in the NFL. That shouldn't have much impact on evaluating the coaches. 

Tom Coughlin jumped from Boston College to a much more successful role in the NFL. Pete Carroll went from being a powerhouse college coach to having great NFL success. Butch Davis went from being a very successful college head coach at a big program to being a very unsuccessful NFL head coach. Dennis Green had an atrocious record in college football(Big Ten and Pac 10) but had a pretty good NFL record. Jimmy Johnson had tremendous success in college football at a power school and tremendous success in the NFL. Bobby Petrino was a highly successful college head coach at a non-power football school but extremely unsuccessful in the NFL. Nick Saban has been one of the most successful coaches in NCAA football history(at multiple power schools including two SEC schools), however he was not successful at the NFL level. Steve Spurrier was a highly successful SEC coach who was highly unsuccessful at the Redskins. Chip Kelly was a highly successful college head coach at a Pac 12 school but a mildly unsuccessful NFL head coach. 

As you can see, the results are all over the map. Being a great coach in a great conference is not a guarantee of success, nor vice versa. 

10 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I don't the conference he comes from would have much to do with his NFL transition. The college football system is completely different and has it's own set of unequal structures which do not exist in the NFL. That shouldn't have much impact on evaluating the coaches. 

Tom Coughlin jumped from Boston College to a much more successful role in the NFL. Pete Carroll went from being a powerhouse college coach to having great NFL success. Butch Davis went from being a very successful college head coach at a big program to being a very unsuccessful NFL head coach. Dennis Green had an atrocious record in college football(Big Ten and Pac 10) but had a pretty good NFL record. Jimmy Johnson had tremendous success in college football at a power school and tremendous success in the NFL. Bobby Petrino was a highly successful college head coach at a non-power football school but extremely unsuccessful in the NFL. Nick Saban has been one of the most successful coaches in NCAA football history(at multiple power schools including two SEC schools), however he was not successful at the NFL level. Steve Spurrier was a highly successful SEC coach who was highly unsuccessful at the Redskins. Chip Kelly was a highly successful college head coach at a Pac 12 school but a mildly unsuccessful NFL head coach. 

As you can see, the results are all over the map. Being a great coach in a great conference is not a guarantee of success, nor vice versa. 

Most of the successful guys had prior NFL experience. Jimmy Johnson was the big exception, but that was also pre salary cap.

Rhule technically has that, but it's nothing to brag about.

34 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Lol. Is it really a bad thing that we are interviewing people? I’d like to hope we don’t have a decision already made. I hope we spend the time to interview all potential candidates and once we lock in on one, we hire them immediately and fill out the staff as soon as possible so we can figure out Cam and hopefully a new GM. 

The interviews aren't the problem.  It's who we are interviewing. 

Archived