• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Tony Elliott declines interview with Carolina

ellis

7 hours ago, CRA said:

How has he fulfilled that requirement? 

I'm an Elliot guy.  I can see multiple reasons for him declining the interview.   Every coach isn't in a rush to just land a perceived promotion.  Big picture matters.  I think Elliot's future is in the college ranks. 

The requirement being the Rooney rule, it was fulfilled when Fewell interviewed.  

2 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

The requirement being the Rooney rule, it was fulfilled when Fewell interviewed.  

I didn't realize he actually had an interview.   Didn't think anyone had but the old GB coach. 

But if he did or if he does....that is the prime example of why owners catch heat.  Because it isn't a real interview.   No one on the planet that watched the team implode under Fewell post Ron and think that was a real interview.  Just a technical loophole. 

Good and bad to that rule.   Not sure where I stand on it. 

2 minutes ago, CRA said:

I didn't realize he actually had an interview.   Didn't think anyone had but the old GB coach. 

But if he did or if he does....that is the prime example of why owners catch heat.  Because it isn't a real interview.   No one on the planet that watched the team implode under Fewell post Ron and think that was a real interview.  Just a technical loophole. 

Good and bad to that rule.   Not sure where I stand on it. 

Decided to check it, since my only source for saying he had an interview was the Huddle.  Apparently, he hasn't had one yet, but is scheduled for one.  

That being said, I agree with you about having mixed feelings about the rule.  I do think at one point it was necessary, but now I am not so sure it is serving a purpose. If its just used as a checkbox, then perhaps it doesn't serve a purpose now.  I do think that Tepper is going to hire whom he thinks is the best, and won't care about race, but I can't speak for the other owners.   

21 hours ago, 1of10Charnatives said:

“In part from what I’m told...” sounds suspiciously like “I have no idea for sure but I’m happy to phrase things to fit my narrative.”

Reminiscent of the most prolific poster on this site....

20 hours ago, countryboi said:

What does a legitimate interview mean?

The guy saw it for what it was....a box-checking exercise to satisfy the (long-time joke known as) "the Rooney Rule".

He never had a shot at the job, and recognized this, and chose not to waste his time. 

That said, there is an argument to be made that going through the process would better prepare him for future interviews/opportunities....

I was always of the mindset that you take every interview offered...

...take 100 interviews, somewhere along the way might get an offer you can't refuse.

1 hour ago, SBiii said:

The guy saw it for what it was....a box-checking exercise to satisfy the (long-time joke known as) "the Rooney Rule".

He never had a shot at the job, and recognized this, and chose not to waste his time. 

That said, there is an argument to be made that going through the process would better prepare him for future interviews/opportunities....

I was always of the mindset that you take every interview offered...

...take 100 interviews, somewhere along the way might get an offer you can't refuse.

Why?  Both Fewell and Bieniemy check that box.  

I think he missed an opportunity.

8 minutes ago, PantherCam213 said:

Why?  Both Fewell and Bieniemy check that box.  

I think he missed an opportunity.

As far as the technicalities of the rule go I don't know if Fewell does check the box, or not. He got to babysit the position for a few weeks but he definitely wasn't positioned as a long-term solution and after the bed-shatting he presided over there is zero chance any further discussions will take place!

Beiniemy hasn't been interviewed and permission to interview him may not be granted.

Team figured it was a no-brainer to get the  "requirement" out of the way with a college coach who surely would come running....

....but he didn't!

Just now, SBiii said:

As far as the technicalities of the rule go I don't know if Fewell does check the box, or not.

Beiniemy hasn't been interviewed and permission to interview him may not be granted.

Actually, as far as I know, neither has been interviewed, but why would Fewell not check the box?

4 minutes ago, PantherCam213 said:

Actually, as far as I know, neither has been interviewed, but why would Fewell not check the box?

Updated my post above simultaneous to your post..

Lemme know if you have further questions...

Just now, Yaboychris28 said:

Sounds like he had great confidence in himself Knowing that he had no chance in hell for the job.... lol 

If you were invited to interview for the GM job of the Carolina Football Panthers what would your confidence level be?

Archived