• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why the Bieniemy love?

AU-panther

4 minutes ago, bobowilson said:

My cat could be successful with Mahomes, and it's not a particularly clever cat tbh

If we're just going to hire people associated with Andy Reid, why not go all out and hire Britt Reid (his son who is linebackers coach).  I mean people want to talk about coaching trees, you don't get much more rooted than being his son.  And Britt Reid doesn't have the history of failing as a college coordinator like Bienemy (whose team went 1-11 in the Pac-12).

Britt Reid for next Panthers head coach;  proximity to Andy Reid is the most important factor we should consider

https://www.chiefs.com/team/coaches-roster/britt-reid

BrittReid

Stop making up strawmen every time someone gives you an honest answer. It's disingenuous.

10 minutes ago, Happy Panther said:

Stop making up strawmen every time someone gives you an honest answer. It's disingenuous.

What's the actual case for Bienemy over Britt Reid;  I don't know anything about Britt Reid, but the only arguments for Bienemy I've seen are

(1) He's in the Andy Reid coaching tree;  the Andy Reed coaching tree created Harbaugh, Nagy and Pederson, therefor Bienemy has a high chance of success.  Well Britt Reid is also in the Reid coaching tree, and has in fact, spent more years in it, so theoretically, is the most tree of all trees.  In fact, you can say Britt Reid has been part of this magically elixir tree since birth.  Britt Reid is like the Great Basin 'Methuselah' tree in California that has been alive for 5000 years.

(2) Andy Reid says nice things about Bienemy.  Well, I am quite sure, if you were to interview Andy Reid about his son, he would say even nicer things about him.

(3) Bienemy has been successful as part of a team that had Mahomes on it.  The same is equally true of Britt Reid.

(4) Bienemy helps Andy Reid 'prepare';  quite confident his son also helps him prepare

Like sure this is satire, but it's also true.

Britt Reid has also been arrested a few times, but he was young and learned from it.

https://www.inquirer.com/philly/news/20070207_Britt_Reid_taken_to_court_in_shackles__but_parents_are_no-shows.html

Image result for britt reid

59 minutes ago, bobowilson said:

The 'coaching tree' meme thing is one of the silliest things casual NFL fans buy into it.

Andy Reid doesn't rub off on you like fungus, implanting his genetic material inside of you and making your brain grow epigenetically

I mean if this Andy Reid fungal infection is such a real thing, why not hire Dave Toub, who has been with Reid longer?   Why not hire Andy Reid's children?

Actually, I disagree with you on this point.  A coach has a philosophy--all successful leaders do, whether they realize it or not.  When you spend as much time with a coach as the assistants do, a lot rubs off on you--the way he thinks, his strategies, his tolerances and expectations.  As the assistant, you have to be an extension of that coach so he seeks people who are in his mold and then molds them.

To suggest that does not make an impact on a coach defies human nature.

So you are hiring a coach with the Andy Reid foundational philosophy on which he has built his own philosophy. The comments about his children (like Turner, Shanahan, etc--is that what you mean?)  is actually not a good argument because the same dynamic is in play...

1 minute ago, countryboi said:

Bieniemy the OC of a very successful offense under a very success coaching tree. bottom line

Britt Reid has spent longer in this 'tree' than Bienemy, so why not hire him instead?

Bottom line, Britt Reid going into his 7th year in the magical tree.

1 minute ago, MHS831 said:

. The comments about his children (like Turner, Shanahan, etc--is that what you mean?)  is actually not a good argument because the same dynamic is in play...

Okay so why not hire Britt Reid, Andy Reid's delinquent son who bounces around between arrests and being hired by his father (why is there so much neptosim in the NFL?)

The entire basis of your argument (and everyone's argument), is this magical Andy Reid 'foundational philosophy'?  Don't you think his son, the linebackers coach, who has been speaking to the warlock Andy since birth, would have the most insight on his philosophy?

You said Andy Reid would rub off on Bienemy?  Wouldn't he rub off more on his son?

1 minute ago, bobowilson said:

Britt Reid has spent longer in this 'tree' than Bienemy, so why not hire him instead?

Bottom line, Britt Reid going into his 7th year in the magical tree.

Nolan's father (Dick)coached in the NFL

Rex Ryan and Buddy

Norv and Scott Turner

Mike and Kyle Shanahan

The Schotteheimers

Bum and Wade

The Moras

It happens quite a bit--but the tree is not the family tree, it is simply your diversion.

Have you ever coached before?  One of the biggest challenges for an assistant (like a vice president) is operating in the best interests of the head coach.  You have to know what he wants, and you do that by knowing his philosophy.  Head coaches do not micromanage---they develop rapport.  So to suggest that nothing is inherited from the experience is simply not accurate at all.

1. None of us are in the locker room or meeting rooms. That is correct. So the only accounts we have to go by are referrals from players, former players and coaches. Similar to a job interview where you’re not in the office with the candidate every day so you look for recommendation letters from peers. Bieniemy has received positive feed back from the owner Hunt, Andy Reid and several former players from his time in Minnesota and KC. 

2. A coaching tree is not the end all but Andy Reid is one guy that has a proven track record of developing quality leaders in this league. When you hire candidates in the real world, you consider their education background and what firms they worked for. When you hire coaches, you consider who they were previously employed by and Andy Reid is held in high regards in that area.

3. The talent criticism. Why aren’t we criticizing McCarthy for having Aaron Rodgers, McDaniels for having Tom Brady, Stefanski for having Diggs, Thielen and Cook? Coaching and talent is supposed to complement each other, not carry each other. Bieniemy runs the meetings with Mahomes, develops plays and game plans and has played an important role in the Chiefs offense.

Again, this is going by accounts from players, coaches and ownership. Neither you or I are in the locker room to confirm such accounts. 

4. You mention the Colorado tenure. Who were his players? Did he have control over recruiting. How much do you know about his stint there? Usually it takes a few years for a college coach to get his players in there and grow a culture. What if we judged Matt Rhule after a 1-11 season at Baylor? Andy Reid thought highly enough of him to hire him as a position coach in KC despite what happened there. So clearly, little weight was placed on that brief stint.

5. All head coaches start as coordinators. If the unknown scares you, then maybe mediocrity is your comfort zone.

6 minutes ago, bobowilson said:

Okay so why not hire Britt Reid, Andy Reid's delinquent son who bounces around between arrests and being hired by his father (why is there so much neptosim in the NFL?)

The entire basis of your argument (and everyone's argument), is this magical Andy Reid 'foundational philosophy'?  Don't you think his son, the linebackers coach, who has been speaking to the warlock Andy since birth, would have the most insight on his philosophy?

You said Andy Reid would rub off on Bienemy?  Wouldn't he rub off more on his son?

Was that the topic or is this your attempt at distraction--So much depends on the person and his motivations and interests. Is Reid's son seeking a head coaching job?  Would you want to hire someone who does not want the gig?  Has Andy rubbed off on his son's understanding of football?  Yes. Your logic is irrelevant and terribly flawed.  You have shifted from trying to make a point to trying to save some shred of dignity. 

The point---YES a head coach impacts the development of his assistant coaches who aspire to be head coaches.   Read my other posts.  But to call the concept silly reflects a serious lack of knowledge about what it takes to be an assistant coach.

1 hour ago, kungfoodude said:

Well, most coaches aren't head coaches....until they are head coaches. Stefanski has not been a head coach, nor has Greg Roman and they are league wide hot candidates. 

What does him being a recruiting coordinator in college have to do with him not being a good candidate??? Or it seems you are implying that is the case. 

I don't know that I would agree that his resume is "clearly the worst" of the potential candidates. I do know that he comes from a coaching tree that is among the best in NFL history and that coach specifically stumped for him being a guy that is "ready."

I'm not even saying I am hyped about him specifically but I don't see why you have such a negative outlook on him versus the rest of the candidates. 

I didn't say anything about him being a recruiting coordinator, I said a lot of teams will have their recruiting coach also be there running back coach.  My point in that for a lot of programs running back coaches have less influence on the success of the offense then most of the other position coaches.

Also I didn't' say I had a negative outlook on him, I'm just saying on paper his resume is the worst of the other guys mentioned.  So I wonder why some think he is the best?

You are correct in saying Andy Reid's coaching tree has historically done well, a lot better than Bellichecks.  Also Andy recommending him would probably carry a lot of weight, but here again a recommendation isn't really a tangible thing on a resume, and hence the reason I said the vetting process with him will probably be really important.

Archived