• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Let's formally divide into factions on Matt Rhule

Gesualdo

59 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

That's a bit extreme, I would say. The only chance I could buy into that future is if we get a healthy Cam return. This is a QB driven league and if he is not here in 2020, we are in trouble. If we are making a QB switch, we are probably not going to be a Super Bowl caliber team for at least a couple of years. It's not impossible or unprecedented but the odds are against it. 

I'm betting on him being here heavily with rhule wanting a qb...I'd bet big number Cam is healthy and ready to go in march.

23 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I hope so. I think the one thing that is a proven fact is that we are a much worse team without him on the field.

Dude there's no one like him think about it, even in a loosing seasons people come to see him, he fills the stands. Hes worth more to the franchise then just at qb...ain't no dude like em.

Rhule wasn't the guy I wanted, but I'm OK with the hire.  My gut tells me he will continue our mediocrity, he'll be a .500 coach in the NFL with some ups and some downs, but not the sustained success that Tepper said he wanted.  I really hope I'm wrong and I am all on board for pulling for him.

2 hours ago, CRA said:

but first take? 

We drastically overpaid for a college football coach...

Curious why you think "we overpaid" and why it matters what the level of pay is?

If money were a scarce resource and paying the new Head Coach a ton of money would somehow be a disadvantage to other parts of the operation I could understand this line of reasoning...

...but, Big Tepp truly has an unlimited amount of money and what the coach gets paid is not relevant in any way.  (at least not that I can figure out)

On a similar note, ever stop to think about how big a number 1-billion is?

If you went back in time 1-billion seconds it would take you back to the year 1988.

If on the calendar you went back 1-second for each of Tepper's $12 billion you would land in the year 1636 when the citizens of the Massachusetts Bay Colony were fighting the Pequot indians for control of what are now parts of Connecticut and Rhode Island.

1 minute ago, Matt62881 said:

Dude there's no one like him think about it, even in a loosing seasons people come to see him, he fills the stands. Hes worth more to the franchise then just at qb...ain't no dude like em.

Yeah, I am not as concerned about his "draw" or his off the field shenanigans because I don't get any of that ticket revenue nor do I give two flat fugs about basically any player's personal lives(for the most part). What I know for certain, is that he is the only franchise QB that the Carolina Panthers have ever had and he's bordering on being the best football player the franchise has ever had(and I say that as an ARDENT Smitty fan). 

This is a QB driven league. Take a look at the playoff teams as an example. Almost all of them have either elite QB's or upper tier journeyman QB's. Without Cam Newton, this whole team is worse. Having the best RB will get you next to nothing. We proved that and the Giants have proved that. You need a very good QB in this league to win consistently. Without Cam, we don't have a good QB. Period. 

Furthermore, if we decide to go down the draft road at #7, the fail rate is very high. And the tangible returns(division titles, playoff berths, Super Bowls) are going to be down the road a bit if you look at the numbers historically. Frankly, if we don't get that QB situation figured out in the next 2-3 years, we probably aren't looking at Matt Rhule coaching us anymore. It's that critical to get that figured out IMO. 

Archived