• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Big Ben is out for the season and no one bats an eye. Andrew luck misses an entire season due to injury and no one question his starting position or job security. Cam newton goes on IR for the first time in his career and suddenly he needs to be traded.

Gipetto

You all have to look at the big picture.  The injury history, the lifespan of an NFL player taking hits like Cam has, the contract. 

Someone mentioned memories, as if we owe Cam moving forward for all he has given us.  Well, let's take a look at what the fan base has given Cam: $125,000,000.21.  I made up the 21cents for dramatic effect, but he has made OVER the amount displayed.  And some think his memories are worth another huge deal? 

Nope.

Unless he shows that he can be worth the investment, contracts are for future performances, not past accolades.  That was Hurney's issue--he used contracts as rewards.  Cam needs to be healthy and prove that he can last a season.  I do not think of poor little Cam Newton and his tax burden.  I think of poor little PSL owner who has to buy season tickets for three seasons to see if Cam has anything left in the tank.

34 minutes ago, TheRumGone said:

You think cam had a 31st qbr rating since 2016?

31st in qbr since 2015 is the stat espn was throwing out this morning.  i personally want him gone because, to me, he's a giant man baby.   now he's got an instagram post about being forgotten and dangerous.  what other qb said they feel dangerous - baker mayfield - another giant man baby.  is cam good  - hell yes he is.   he's even great sometimes, but he's not consistent.  is he our best chance at being good right now - hell yes he is.  is he our best chance at building a new team with new leaders for some lasting success - hell no he's not.   he'd be better suited to go somewhere that has a better chance at winning now, and we'd be better suited to start building and not wasting time trying to cobble together a team around him like we always do, and fail at over and over.   would i be happy as hell if what i think is best is wrong and we win a sb with cam - hell yes i would.   its just an opinion.

1 hour ago, The Lobo said:

Every year it seems Ben always gets hurt. It seems like every year Stafford has a new HC and is always hurt. Yet there is never talk for Stafford to get replaced. I’ve always wondered about that.

Ben gets hurt a lot and is a genuine a-hole. He's also pushing 40 and coming off a major arm surgery. The Steelers should definitely consider moving on from him. 

Stafford? Dude what is this narrative that he's always hurt coming from? Before this season Stafford hadn't missed a game since 2010. Stafford isn't talked about being replaced ever because through the entirety of the dumpster fire that is the Detroit Lions organization, he has been a solid football player the entire time. 

People are talking about moving on from Cam for a number of legitimate reasons that have nothing to do with personal hatred for the guy:

• Cam has not been healthy since 2015.
  • The majority of those injuries have been related to his throwing shoulder. The newest is a foot injury that has a high risk of re-injury even after treated.
  • Cam has taken more hits than any QB in the league since he was drafted. Even little hits add up if you take enough of them. 
  • Cam has an expiring contract and is not going to be extended based on his recent injury history
  • It would save the team 20 million if they moved on from him this offseason.
  • We are about to start a rebuild and freeing up Cap space would help said rebuild.

I say this as a huge fan of Cam Newton but there are LEGITIMATE reasons to consider moving on from him. Tons of question marks with few sure answers. Do you bet the team's future on a guy who hasn't been healthy for 5 years when the 2020 season starts? What is the backup plan if you do so? Are there options at QB where we are drafting? What about cheaper more consistently healthy options in FA? Is it a viable alternative to Cam? If so, at what cost?

Legitimate questions for a lot of future uncertainty. 

What I do not get is the timing of Cam's surgeries.  In 2017 he had a surgery on his shoulder in March, I believe.  Why in the hell did he wait that long?  He missed camp.

Then in 2018 he had to get scar tissue removed--

Now he just had surgery a few weeks ago on a foot that was injured in August. 

I just do not think he will be here in 2021, possibly not in 2020.  Not what I think, but what I see when I read between the lines.  Matt Rhule has been forced into commenting on Cam and has said nice things--but he also said, "I will have to sit down with Tepper and Hurney.." but "I would love to work with him."  If he thought Cam was the QB in 2020, he would be singing his praises etc.  Of course he wants Cam, but he knows there are deeper issues and, perhaps like us, does not understand the internal workings of the situation.  Personally, I think Tepper does not see his long-term upside and is not interested in throwing $37m per at a 32-year old running qb with an injury history. He has seen  QBs extort money from their bosses lately and does not want to fall in that trap.   Pound your chest or rub yourself all you want, but that is the business decision he has to make. 

Cam in 2020 is probably 60%, depending on his health.  Cam in 2021 has a much lower percentage, barring a healthy, pro bowl year.

18 minutes ago, raz said:

31st in qbr since 2015 is the stat espn was throwing out this morning.  i personally want him gone because, to me, he's a giant man baby.   now he's got an instagram post about being forgotten and dangerous.  what other qb said they feel dangerous - baker mayfield - another giant man baby.  is cam good  - hell yes he is.   he's even great sometimes, but he's not consistent.  is he our best chance at being good right now - hell yes he is.  is he our best chance at building a new team with new leaders for some lasting success - hell no he's not.   he'd be better suited to go somewhere that has a better chance at winning now, and we'd be better suited to start building and not wasting time trying to cobble together a team around him like we always do, and fail at over and over.   would i be happy as hell if what i think is best is wrong and we win a sb with cam - hell yes i would.   its just an opinion.

You sound like you’ve been morning drinking. It’s just an opinion.

2 hours ago, raz said:

31st in qbr since 2015.   can't figure out why anyone would be thinking about trading him.   where is the jerk off motion emoji?

You are so damn bitter it's hilarious. You put all your eggs in the Kyle Allen basket and it blew up in your face. Enjoy it.

7 hours ago, SBiii said:

If Cam plays NFL football in 2020 he will do so for the Carolina Football Panthers. 

I get a good chuckle out of the "Walter Payton Award"....

....the guy was one helluva football player....

....and a complete degenerate off the field. 

Oh I'm sorry, did Cam's choice of clothing offend you?

What a weird thing to say. Cam has been huge for the community. 

7 hours ago, SBiii said:

If Cam plays NFL football in 2020 he will do so for the Carolina Football Panthers. 

I get a good chuckle out of the "Walter Payton Award"....

....the guy was one helluva football player....

....and a complete degenerate off the field. 

bitch seriously GIF

I think I've kept this incarnation of you around long enough.

1 hour ago, TheRumGone said:

Luck retired because he was tired of living in pain and wanted it to stop. Not because he couldn’t actually play. Or some career ending injury. 

I think the talk about wanting to move on from Cam from logical, I repeat logical people not racists, is the timing of it. Cams only under contract for this upcoming season. It’s hard for us to gauge where he is at health wise to give him a new contract. 

my hope is he comes back and midway through the season it’s obvious he’s healthy and ready to go long term and we extend him. That’s not a guarantee though and once again if he plays well but breaks down as the season goes on, that will more than likely take us out of position to draft a top talent like Lawrence or fields. There are just so many moving parts to this it’s really hard to know what is going to happen. Our best bet is cam comes back healthy and we extend him and he leads us to the playoffs for the next 4 to 5 years.

I agree with this.  Rationally Cam, given his recent injury history, presents some risk in returning.  Both in if he can come back completely. And if he can stay healthy for a full season.

But assuming he will play for a relatively reasonable $20 million, and in a year we aren't going to need every last penny to push our roster to the super bowl... AND assuming he actually seems healthy ... to me, give him a shot, build other aspects of the team this year, and go for qb in 2021 if needed.

1 minute ago, mav1234 said:

I agree with this.  Rationally Cam, given his recent injury history, presents some risk in returning.  Both in if he can come back completely. And if he can stay healthy for a full season.

But assuming he will play for a relatively reasonable $20 million, and in a year we aren't going to need every last penny to push our roster to the super bowl... AND assuming he actually seems healthy ... to me, give him a shot, build other aspects of the team this year, and go for qb in 2021 if needed.

Yeah. I think he’s gonna play for us in 2020 without a long term contract. It’s just a gut feeling from everything I’ve read to him changing his fb profile pic to him in his panthers gear (lol I know ridiculous). Cam bets on himself a lot. He’s done it his whole career including college. I reallllllly hope he works out because imagine how much easier it’s gonna be if we have a great qb locked down for the next 4/5 years. We can groom a qb behind him and have a transition much easier then what we’re about to go through if Cam isn’t here. If healthy cam isn’t here in 2020 and beyond. It’s gonna be really fuging ugly for a couple seasons. 

8 hours ago, Gipetto said:

What is wrong with you people? Cam has brought so many good memories to this franchise and one injury completely unrelated to his shoulder which is fully healed btw has everyone shipping him out of Carolina. Franchise quarterbacks don’t grow on trees. No one in this damn draft is a sure thing. When you have a guy that is a proven winner you keep him. This negativity towards Superman is sickening and needs to stop. When cam starts the 2020 season with his Walter Peyton man of the year patch ready to win comeback player of the year. I hope all the people that wanted him gone remember what he brings to this franchise. Here’s to hopefully future 2 time MVP cam. Keep pounding. 

Because he is a black QB. Everyone here well mostly rooted for Kyle Allen as if he was pro bowl material after 6 games. Even after Kyle got injured last year after 1 game. They never questioned or wanted him gone.  You got to understand that cam has always been hated in Charlotte by the majority of the fans. They just tolerated him because we were expected to win every game. Get a good ole golden boy as QB and the criticism goes away and the excuses are made for why he can't win every game. The fan base still has some busch drinking losers to get rid of.  

Archived