• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Wasnt the last untappd beer festival a disaster?

cookinwithgas

They've hired an outside event manager with legit credentials this time. Apparently her team has been working on fixing all of the mistakes from the last one. Sounds like Tepper wants to make this a thing. If they can get it dialed in operationally, it could be a really fun annual event. 

1 hour ago, Harbingers said:

There is good craft beer. But there are just toooooo many. 

I "discovered" craft beer in NW Louisiana, but it wasn't much of a thing in the area.  Hard to find craft beer without seeking out specialty shops and paying a premium price.  And when I say craft, I mean to even get a mass produced IPA was a chore for a while there.  Imagine having to go to a specialty beer shop just to buy a Sierra Nevada IPA.  That's how bad it was.

Then I got sent to Greenville, SC and went apepoo over the selection at Green's.  I had my per diem money ready to burn and loaded up on craft beer to try every weekend while I hung out with my folks in Myrtle Beach.  The Piggly Wiggly at Market Commons (gone now) in Myrtle had better beer selection than the specialty shops back in NW LA.  After about 6 months of that I came to the same realization that you brought up.  There is simply no reason to have this many beers.  There are only so many true styles, and only so many variations you can have of a particular style before it just gets weird.  So many beers are just the dang same as the other, just with a different name so you can say "I had a such and such and let me tell ya!"

At this point I've come full circle and will now drink a Coors Light or similar when I'm out for dinner.  No point in dropping premium money out at the bar when alot of places are practically giving away their pilsners (relatively speaking).

beer sales may be down, but sparkly party water sales are through the roof and if you just add corn liquor to flavored fizzy water like the big boys do its cheap as hell to produce.

and i've heard charlotte has decent beer now.  hard for me to believe.  it was sooooo late to the party

39 minutes ago, raz said:

beer sales may be down, but sparkly party water sales are through the roof and if you just add corn liquor to flavored fizzy water like the big boys do its cheap as hell to produce.

and i've heard charlotte has decent beer now.  hard for me to believe.  it was sooooo late to the party

seems like there's a brewery every 5 feet here in CLT.  My office is in the hood and we have one with another opening up soon.  At what point is the market saturated?

Just now, Happy Panther said:

There are. But i find that half the appeal of all these beers is the silly name and the cool artwork on the bottle. People love to post their "triple zombie hoppy brains" experience.

My favorite beer is a creamy english pub ale called Boddington's. It has a not very exotic or exciting picture of a bee on the can (comes in draft pour cans like Guiness and on tap uses nitrogen instead of carbonation for that thick head) but it does this cool thing where it actually tastes good, as opposed to being horse piss in a cool looking can, which tastes like poo but makes for great Instagram pictures.

1 minute ago, 1of10Charnatives said:

My favorite beer is a creamy english pub ale called Boddington's. It has a not very exotic or exciting picture of a bee on the can (comes in draft pour cans like Guiness and on tap uses nitrogen instead of carbonation for that thick head) but it does this cool thing where it actually tastes good, as opposed to being horse piss in a cool looking can, which tastes like poo but makes for great Instagram pictures.

Went to school in the North of England and had a few "Bodis." Good stuff.

Archived