• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Corona Virus

Ja  Rhule

4 minutes ago, The NFL Shield At Midfield said:

B-but Fauci said to not wear masks like three months ago

That was idiotic. I understand why he said it, but it was still idiotic. He said it because supplies were low and they wanted to ensure that what supplies there were could be directed to medical professionals. Still, when you blatantly lie to people you have to understand you're destroying your credibility and public health officials have to maintain their credibility.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

4 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Even Mike Pence is advocating for wearing masks now. The evidence is overwhelming for their effectiveness in preventing the spread of this disease (and respiratory diseases in general). It was wildly irresponsible and reckless for them to be anti-mask for as long as they were, but it's vitally important for people to get this message going into 4th of July weekend. Memorial Day weekend was pretty much the kickoff for these current spikes.

Masks R-E-D-U-C-E chances of getting a respiratory illness, they do not PREVENT.  FYI, I do wear a mask when going to places with a lot of people.  

1 minute ago, 45catfan said:

Masks R-E-D-U-C-E chances of getting a respiratory illness, they do not PREVENT.  FYI, I do wear a mask when going to places with a lot of people.  

Nothing about the word "prevent" implies 100% efficacy. I figured Panthers fans of all people would understand this after watching Ron's prevent defenses allow blown out opponents back into the game time and time again.

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Do you know how condoms work? 
If I had to guess, I’d say probably not because you never get an opportunity to use one. 

5 minutes ago, 4Corners said:

US of A is global embarrassment EbrH58xWkAMZFU_?format=jpg&name=large

Yeah but our rollercoaster looks bigger and way more fun. That drop at the end once it reaches 300 million is going to be yuuuuggge.  It will be the greatest drop,  probably ever. 

Just now, 45catfan said:

Nope, but the intent was implied.

Literal definition from Websters dictionary of prevent to keep from happening or existing 

LOL

Literally nothing about that definition implies efficacy. You wear a seatbelt to prevent dying in a car crash but it doesn't guarantee it. You wear a condom to prevent STDs and unwanted pregnancy but it doesn't guarantee it. You trying to keep those things from happening but you're not guaranteeing it.

This is an odd semantic hill to choose to die on.

2 minutes ago, 4Corners said:

Do you know how condoms work? 
If I had to guess, I’d say probably not because you never get an opportunity to use one. 

Typical comeback.  Outside of N-95s, the effectiveness is as low as 50%, homemade cloth coverings even less.  While masks help reduce the spread, they do not prevent COVID-19 spreading. 

13 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

That was idiotic. I understand why he said it, but it was still idiotic. He said it because supplies were low and they wanted to ensure that what supplies there were could be directed to medical professionals. Still, when you blatantly lie to people you have to understand you're destroying your credibility and public health officials have to maintain their credibility.

There were tons of mistakes made, particularly early in the pandemic by smart people who should know better.  The onus is on us to learn from it.

Of course that doesn't mean anybody is going to do it, and here we are.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

If we all eat Samoa cookies we can't catch the virus.  The virus probably hates samoas more than anything ever.  Maybe even better if we potentially grind the samoas up and concoct some sort of, I dont know, dust. The samoas are truly delicious cookies created by great people,  beautiful people from the tiny teeny tiny island of Saaaaa mow ahhhhhh.  Anyway if we ingest this dust in sort of a snorting motion directly into our lungs it will probably be the greatest vaccine ever known to man and will probably immunize us against the virus and probably be yuuge,  probably.

2 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Typical comeback.  Outside of N-95s, the effectiveness is as low as 50%, homemade cloth coverings even less.  While masks help reduce the spread, they do not prevent COVID-19 spreading. 

Where are you pulling these numbers from?

Meanwhile, somewhere your former English teachers are crying themselves to sleep from their failure. This is truly one of the worst semantic arguments I've ever encountered.

• Flames 1

3 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

For the billionth time, wearing a mask reduces your chance of spreading a respiratory illness to other people.  It isn't intended to protect you.

Just say you don't want to wear a mask instead of trying to "uh well akshually if you look up the exact dictionary definition of 'prevent' then it's clear that *snort*... " your way out of it.

3 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Wow thanks for explanation Bill Nerd the Science Turd

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

LOL

Literally nothing about that definition implies efficacy. You wear a seatbelt to prevent dying in a car crash but it doesn't guarantee it. You wear a condom to prevent STDs and unwanted pregnancy but it doesn't guarantee it. You trying to keep those things from happening but you're not guaranteeing it.

This is an odd semantic hill to choose to die on.

It's only a semantic if you want it to be. I know the difference, but if you choose not to, so be it.  Reduction of spread sounds so less effective than prevention, wouldn't you say?