• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Corona Virus

Ja  Rhule

51 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Data changes with a novel virus. You're working with a small data subset and virtually no history.

It's interesting how the group that claims the experts are liars vigorously accepted constantly shifting politically motivated conspiracies. It's a Chinese biological weapon. No, it's a liberal hoax. No, it's a "nothing burger". No, we just need to "learn how to live with it." Listen, that's exactly what we're trying to do. 

It's all new so it's a moving target.  But it gets annoying when every theory or guesstimate by someone with a credential next to their name has it thrown out like its concrete fact and anyone who wants to question it is called something like "science denier."  And then the goalpost moves and we start the cycle all over again, with the new theory being sold as unquestionable fact.

• Pie 2

31 minutes ago, Inimicus said:

The day I do something this odious I hope the twiiter mob comes after me.

Thousands upon thousands of people do that and worse every single day.  I certainly wouldn't want the twitter mob going after all of them.

But we live in a world where people can be shot and killed and very few give a poo if it doesn't fit their chosen agenda.  But let some guy act rude and aggressive on camera and "OMG WE MUST TAKE ACTION NOW!"  Our priorities always slant towards low hanging fruit.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, Wes21 said:

It's all new so it's a moving target.  But it gets annoying when every theory or guesstimate by someone with a credential next to their name has it thrown out like its concrete fact and anyone who wants to question it is called something like "science denier."  And then the goalpost moves and we start the cycle all over again, with the new theory being sold as unquestionable fact.

Kinda like how the goalposts have been moved from Chinese bioweapon to liberal hoax to "nothing burger" to "just live with it"?

At least one is based off of actual data and expertise. The other is rooted in sowing division and stoking the lowest common denominator of a political base.

19 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Kinda like how the goalposts have been moved from Chinese bioweapon to liberal hoax to "nothing burger" to "just live with it"?

At least one is based off of actual data and expertise. The other is rooted in sowing division and stoking the lowest common denominator of a political base.

The "but, but, but...look at them" response.

5 minutes ago, Wes21 said:

The "but, but, but...look at them" response.

Just acknowledgement of reality. Like I said, one is rooted in expertise and data, something that admittedly is developing which means there will be some changes over time. The other is purely political. That's the part of that post you conveniently ignored. 

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Just acknowledgement of reality. Like I said, one is rooted in expertise and data, something that admittedly is developing which means there will be some changes over time. The other is purely political. That's the part of that post you conveniently ignored. 

Why would I give a poo based on what I was responding to?  I get it.  As long as you can show someone else being more crazy, you never have to look inward.  Just keep chugging along on your path, completely above question or doubt.  Fly high brotha.

9 minutes ago, Wes21 said:

Why would I give a poo based on what I was responding to?  I get it.  As long as you can show someone else being more crazy, you never have to look inward.  Just keep chugging along on your path, completely above question or doubt.  Fly high brotha.

You're literally trying to equate expertise and reliance on data to pure political pandering. This is some true lowest common denominator stuff.

For those asking about SC hospitalizations (taken from the SC department of health website):

7/7: 1324

7/6: 1260

7/5: 1251

7/4: 1190

7/3: 1148

7/2: 1125

5 straight days of steady increases with 200 more people hospitalized in less than a week. That's actually pretty staggering. And we still have the effect of 4th of July weekend to come.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, Happy Panther said:

You are listening to the wrong people. I assume you are referencing MSM, politicians and social media? There are plenty of purely factual sites that provide pure data and no opinion. Then you can make your own conclusions.

I'm not listening to them but a LOT of people are. I can't get my mom to turn off CNN and FOX. She is so paranoid that its ridiculous. At work I hear "I saw on Facebook...." Trump I can't even watch. 

That's probably 95% of the country's source of listened to information. It's no wonder people don't believe a damn thing they hear. Unfortunately the truth doesn't get ratings because it's boring. 

Wash your hands, the virus is airborne and while masks aren't 100% they help, and keep social distance. 10 seconds of boring info that has more truth than an hour of the other 3 out together.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 2

3 hours ago, 45catfan said:

Yep and the reason why I made the decision never to get any social media account even from the very beginning.  People are increasingly deleting or simply not using their accounts.  I have talked to several people lately that has sworn off social media for good.  The crap is completely toxic, and like you, saw the writing on the wall long ago.  I have zero regrets about abstaining from social media.

The platforms evolved to actually fug with your brain chemistry. It is fuging disturbing.

I only keep Facebook around for beer/bourbon related groups. If that vanished tomorrow, so would my FB account.

• Pie 1

24 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

I'm not listening to them but a LOT of people are. I can't get my mom to turn off CNN and FOX. She is so paranoid that its ridiculous. At work I hear "I saw on Facebook...." Trump I can't even watch. 

That's probably 95% of the country's source of listened to information. It's no wonder people don't believe a damn thing they hear. Unfortunately the truth doesn't get ratings because it's boring. 

Wash your hands, the virus is airborne and while masks aren't 100% they help, and keep social distance. 10 seconds of boring info that has more truth than an hour of the other 3 out together.

It is unbelievable the real behavioral changes that poo causes in people. I had a roommate on a contract job once that was an older guy from southern Georgia, fairly reasonable but conservative. Generally a pretty decent dude. 

But he would come home from work and while I would be prepping food, he'd turn on Fox News and would literally be screaming at the top of his lungs at the poo they were stirring up. It was NUTS. 

And you see the results of this kind of poo all the time. I have a friend's wife that I berated once because she just started spewing unfiltered MSNBC talking points that were VERIFIABLY untrue. 

People cannot pull their heads out of their asses and realize that this is what they want. They want divisiveness, fear and anger. Because for some reason people will watch more and then they get more ratings which gets them more money. And social media is even fuging worse.

I tell people all the time. Turn that poo off. Just don't pay attention. It is amazing how much better you feel when you leave social media and TV behind.

• Pie 4
  • Beer 2

Then there's the Weather Channel

Who could have thought that the weather could be "must see TV"

I have a little lady up the street and if there is any disturbance in the gulf for instance, you won't see her for 5 days.  Glued to the looping drama which is the weather channel and the "stay tuned" for the latest "and when you might die" forecast.

10 minutes ago, stirs said:

Then there's the Weather Channel

Who could have thought that the weather could be "must see TV"

I have a little lady up the street and if there is any disturbance in the gulf for instance, you won't see her for 5 days.  Glued to the looping drama which is the weather channel and the "stay tuned" for the latest "and when you might die" forecast.

It's really sick. I am not for government intervention into media, because it is rarely for good purposes but at some point there needs to be some amount of level headed oversight to police this garbage. And these local media super monopolies need to be abolished, as well.

But, none of that is going to happen and the damage is largely done. At this point, may as well just sit back and watch this place steadily come to pieces with a nice drink in hand. fug it.