• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Marty Checking out Herbert

ncfan

1 minute ago, Jon Snow said:

If he's there at 7 I'm sure there will be some serious discussion about it but unless he's there I just can't see them pulling the trigger in this draft based on the current events.

Im not saying we trade up for him

But if he's there at 7 it wouldn't shock me......at all if we took him there.

You don't take a project at 7th overall with all our needs. Especially considering we already did this last year with our 3rd rounder, and we see how that has worked out. Those begging for us to draft Grier have all suffered amnesia.

I don't want a rookie QB playing until the new staff can get a year under their belt and start fixing the line and I sure don't  want to see any projects developing on the bench and specialteams when our first 3 picks could be contributing on the field this year in meaningful snaps.

But it's Marty and at this point all I can do is hope he isn't the final say in this draft.

1 hour ago, Mr Mojo Risin said:

Boy oh boy if that idiot drafts a Qb instead of a blue chip player at 7 I dont know if I'd be able to watch another Panthers game again.

My initial thought---however, if they think Brady can work with him and develop him, he has the tools to be the best QB in this draft.  Compared to Burrow, he is taller, heavier, his arms are longer, and his hands are 1" bigger.  He is now ahead of where Burrow was when he was entering his SR year at LSU.  If the difference was Brady--then Herbert could be better than a blue chip DT.   Finding a QB--Cam's replacement--starts yesterday.   Throw in a few sessions with Whitfield and a year to learn the ropes, Herbert could become a great QB.  He is not there right now, but the ingredients are on the counter.

8 minutes ago, jfra78 said:

If other teams think we are interested in Herbert they may jump ahead of us to pick him, leaving us more options at 7.

not worth flying marty out there and bringing him back to charlotte with all the covid out there for a smokescreen.  marty is older.  this would be monumentally stupid.  it was monumentally stupid no matter what, because if he got exposed its at the panthers facilities now.  nevermind.  either way it was stupid, it was marty, and those 2 words are synonyms 

5 minutes ago, raz said:

not worth flying marty out there and bringing him back to charlotte with all the covid out there for a smokescreen.  marty is older.  this would be monumentally stupid.  it was monumentally stupid no matter what, because if he got exposed its at the panthers facilities now.  nevermind.  either way it was stupid, it was marty, and those 2 words are synonyms 

I agree with you---but I am going to play devil's advocate based on yet another MHS conspiracy theory.  What if Marty is a lame duck--a decoy?  Having the GM personally fly to Oregon to view a QB in the midst of a pandemic?  The GM--not a qb coach, OC, or scout.

Having said that, if we were really interested in Herbert as the QB of the future, would we not send Brady, Peetz, and Rhule out there?  Sending Marty, if he is not the brain behind the operation any longer, would give an appearance that we are interested.  Frankly, there are a few OL there who could be of value in the middle to the end of the draft. 

1 hour ago, Khyber53 said:

Well, by all means, what would be the @stbugs way? Enlighten us oh swami of the swamp!

Lol. I’m 2019, my draft would have been something like this:

1 Burns

2 McCoy

3 Evans

3b DL or S (not going to say Crosby, although I’d heard of him, maybe Gardner Johnson or others)

4 Miller was fine here and I would have continued the DL/interior OL

5 Omenihu (such an easy pick over Scarlett, I posted at least 25 times in here about not drafting him, a freaking steal for Houston later in 5th

6 Daley was a great pick, at this point I’m doing the same best OL/DL/maybe DB at this point

7 Who cares, I’m not picking a winner

For your trade up to 12, no freaking way I would do that. It would cost us our 2021 pick, simple as that. I also don’t think Cam sits around in 2020 with no long term deal so we can groom Herbert. That means we trade or release Cam. If Herbert is starting, that means in the draft we Brown and the only other impact pick is maybe 69. Based on that and likely not wanting to go FA crazy to secure comp picks (we should get the max of 4) and build up cap space, we’d be pretty bad again. If we trade up to get Herbert then as I mentioned it would be a Marty level reach that costs us a potential more elite QB. It would be similar to Brown which basically cost us Demaryius Thomas or Dez Bryant (we took 3 WRs in that draft where we didn’t have a 1st that was before both were picked). It would be akin to trading up from Clausen’s pick to get Sam Bradford instead of waiting to pick Cam and watching Cam take the Rams to the SB.

Also, I’ve detailed my rebuild or tank plan on here multiple times if you want to read it all.

If the Panthers are using valuable time and resources to fly high level executives across the country to Oregon just to create a smoke screen....Then no wonder the team has never had back to back winning seasons. Use that time, money and effort to do a better job hitting on day 2 or 3 prospects instead of trying to play hocus pocus.

The interest in Herbert is legitimate. This isn't smokescreening or trade bait. They should be using this valuable time to do complete evaluations on guys they want to bring to the franchise.

53 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

My initial thought---however, if they think Brady can work with him and develop him, he has the tools to be the best QB in this draft.  Compared to Burrow, he is taller, heavier, his arms are longer, and his hands are 1" bigger.  He is now ahead of where Burrow was when he was entering his SR year at LSU.  If the difference was Brady--then Herbert could be better than a blue chip DT.   Finding a QB--Cam's replacement--starts yesterday.   Throw in a few sessions with Whitfield and a year to learn the ropes, Herbert could become a great QB.  He is not there right now, but the ingredients are on the counter.

I still feel like we have a HOF Qb on the roster and we just signed his back up to a 1 year extension. The defense and oline are what need to be rebuilt. We traded for a LT that helps to push the need for a olineman to later rounds/FA.  As I've been saying all along when it comes to Qbs that the grass isnt always greener on the other side.

I couldnt care less how well he can throw the football. How much does he love this game? Does he love it more than Cam? Will he commit his life to this game like Cam has? Will he be willing to work his ass off even when things aren't going well? How will he handle success? Adversity? How much does this guy hate losing? Cam has answered all of these questions in spades. His love for the game, his team, city, the fans, it is UNMATCHED and we WILL NOT find a better leader for this team as it ushers in a new era than Cam Newton. 

44 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

I agree with you---but I am going to play devil's advocate based on yet another MHS conspiracy theory.  What if Marty is a lame duck--a decoy?  Having the GM personally fly to Oregon to view a QB in the midst of a pandemic?  The GM--not a qb coach, OC, or scout.

Having said that, if we were really interested in Herbert as the QB of the future, would we not send Brady, Peetz, and Rhule out there?  Sending Marty, if he is not the brain behind the operation any longer, would give an appearance that we are interested.  Frankly, there are a few OL there who could be of value in the middle to the end of the draft. 

Exactly. When we were all in on Grier, the Turners were the ones that went out to meet him and even had diner with him.  This is decoy for sure, granted a very stupid decoy

12 minutes ago, Mr Mojo Risin said:

I still feel like we have a HOF Qb on the roster and we just signed his back up to a 1 year extension. The defense and oline are what need to be rebuilt. We traded for a LT that helps to push the need for a olineman to later rounds/FA.  As I've been saying all along when it comes to Qbs that the grass isnt always greener on the other side.

I couldnt care less how well he can throw the football. How much does he love this game? Does he love it more than Cam? Will he commit his life to this game like Cam has? Will he be willing to work his ass off even when things aren't going well? How will he handle success? Adversity? How much does this guy hate losing? Cam has answered all of these questions in spades. His love for the game, his team, city, the fans, it is UNMATCHED and we WILL NOT find a better leader for this team as it ushers in a new era than Cam Newton. 

Your second paragraph makes no sense. I absolutely care about how well he can throw and how healthy he is. I don’t care about Cam’s love for the game. It hasn’t kept him healthy the last four years. It doesn’t make him able to pass a physical right now. That’s a problem.

Archived