• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Tua Tagovailoa

MMA

1 hour ago, panthers55 said:

Tua benefitted from the Alabama system and while he was a good QB, he wasn't great and the injury issues make things murky. I will trust our folks to do their due diligence and know more than me who is a casual observer. But you predicated your argument on whether he will be a good or great QB in the NFL and that is a legitimate debate. I am not sure he is so great to move up or even choose at 7 if you have a Brown or Simmons on the board. We already have a starting QB but we don't have any great DTs other than Short or a great linebacker corps. Tua would sit for a year or more right now. We need our first rounder to be a starter not a backup. We have too many holes for that.

Such a bad take. Tua did not benefit from the Alabama system as only a “good QB.” Tua was a phenomenal QB who did far more with the same talent Jalen Hurts had, yet Jalen could not put together a passing game to save his life. Tua absolutely took the Alabama system from a run- first system to a “throw it all over the field” system with tremendous decision-making, anticipation and accuracy. Had Tua not been there, that would not have happened. 

A first year starting DT is nowhere near as valuable as a franchise QB who sits one year. Think the Packers would trade what they’ve gotten out of Rodgers or the Chiefs what they’ve gotten out of Mahomes for a DT or a LB? I’d bet not. 

40 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

That’s a horrible opinion. Bridgewater isn’t great but he is a pretty good quarterback and literally everything you could look up about him proves it. The only thing that makes people think he isn’t good is their own personal bias. 

I’m all in on Teddy. I hope that he will succeed being a Panther. Teddy was great in college but was just a game manager during his best days as a Viking. Even last year in New Orleans, Teddy was just a game manager. He was terrible and a week 17 loss to Kyle Allen two seasons ago. 

44 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

Tua also looked great with the nation’s best players around him. In a new system with a garbage OL and porous defense, will he look the same? Probably not. 

Bama’s offense with Hurts was really good. Bama’s offense with Tua was unstoppable. The kid was plugged in at QB in the 2nd half of the National Championship game vs a great Georgia team as a freshman and won Bama the title. 

15 minutes ago, Bama Panther said:

Such a bad take. Tua did not benefit from the Alabama system as only a “good QB.” Tua was a phenomenal QB who did far more with the same talent Jalen Hurts had, yet Jalen could not put together a passing game to save his life. Tua absolutely took the Alabama system from a run- first system to a “throw it all over the field” system with tremendous decision-making, anticipation and accuracy. Had Tua not been there, that would not have happened. 

A first year starting DT is nowhere near as valuable as a franchise QB who sits one year. Think the Packers would trade what they’ve gotten out of Rodgers or the Chiefs what they’ve gotten out of Mahomes for a DT or a LB? I’d bet not. 

Thomas Davis is one of the best Panthers of all time. I would take Aaron Rodgers over Thomas Davis 100 out of 100 times in a draft redo. 

25 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

That’s a horrible opinion. Bridgewater isn’t great but he is a pretty good quarterback and literally everything you could look up about him proves it. The only thing that makes people think he isn’t good is their own personal bias. 

Define "pretty good" because Bridgewater's stats aren't 

11 hours ago, MMA said:

Wow, let’s all believe that Walker is the next Warren Moon. They just fall off the tree like leaves. 

Certainly not probable, but definitely possible.

Tepper is a master of identifying value that the market is under-pricing.  He has set up an adroit team within the Panthers organization to assist him in this quest.

If the team makes a move you don't understand or agree with you should probably stop and ask yourself, what am I missing?

I get more optimistic about the Panthers prospects pretty much daily!

1 hour ago, MMA said:

If you believe that Tua is the best player on you board, you have take him at 7. Many people didn’t think that Deshaun Watson was going to be a 1st rounder or even succeeding in the NFL. Houston traded up for Watson and took him with the 12th pick. Same for Mahomes being drafted at 10th and same for Daniel Jones going 6th. All three teams struck gold. When you’re Matt Rhule on a seven year contract, you don’t need that 1st rounder to be an instant starter in 2020.

That's it. I don't think Tua is the BPA if Brown and Simmons or Okudah are still there.  Walker is Tua lite and is worth a shot. But I am not in the know so we will see how it unfolds in a few weeks.

1 hour ago, Bama Panther said:

I doubt you would be considered objective on the topic. LOL.  I would expect you think Tua is  the second coming but let's be real here. Alabama doesn't play on an even playing field with huge advantages in recruiting and facilities. Every year Alabama is usually in the conversation for the national championship yet how many quarterbacks have they produced in the NFL under Saban. Tua is the best one in a while. But that doesnt mean he will be great in the NFL. Like I said good but not the superstar you think given the low bar you are used to.

8 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

I doubt you would be considered objective on the topic. LOL.  I would expect you think Tua is  the second coming but let's be real here. Alabama doesn't play on an even playing field with huge advantages in recruiting and facilities. Every year Alabama is usually in the conversation for the national championship yet how many quarterbacks have they produced in the NFL under Saban. Tua is the best one in a while. But that doesnt mean he will be great in the NFL. Like I said good but not the superstar you think given the low bar you are used to.

I’m a Bama grad, but I’m not the only one that says these things about Tua. If not for the hip injury, he would be the first QB off the board. That’s why “Tanking for Tua” was a thing for the Dolphins. Tua did for two seasons what everyone has lost their panties over Joe Burrow doing for one, and guess what? Tua did it against the same competition  

The assessment of Tua has nothing to do with the talent around him. It is about the pre-snap reads he makes. It is about the quick release. It’s about the accuracy of his throws. It is about anticipating things and throwing receivers open. It is about his football smarts. Those things carry over regardless of talent, and Tua showed that ability from the time he stepped into the field after halftime of the National Championship game.

I’m not saying Tua will be great. I am saying he absolutely has the tools to be. To discount him for playing at Bama, especially when he actually improved that offense by leaps and bounds based on his own ability and leadership, Is disingenuous. 

Archived