• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Oh Marty

shaq

14 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Twenty drafts ago this year.  Steve Smith made that draft as a 3rd round gem. Jenkins got fat & lazy and Morgan couldn't stay healthy.

Still was a A draft.. Those player were still a big part of a superbowl team.. That was a John Kasey mistake away from stopping a dynasty...

1 hour ago, Shocker said:

Little early to call him a bust

That’s a good point, but just looking at who got drafted after with both picks we traded for him, I think it’s gonna be hard for Little to become more valuable. Especially with the amount of talent drafted after him.

43 minutes ago, Icege said:

Just a reminder that we could have gotten Michael Deiter with the pick we traded to Miami and had one of the iOL positions filled :(

Could have had McCoy and Evans and had a C/RG for years or McCoy and Crosby and had a C and a DE bookend with Burns for years. All 3 of those guys we had in for 3 of our almost 30 private visits but Marty fell in love. Actually, instead of Little and Grier we could have had 3 starters on the 2020 team.

But it’s too early to call him a bust. No, it’s not. Grier is already destined to maybe be a backup and Little was pick 37. We traded up draft capital that should have gotten us into the first round. We graded him as a first rounder and with Okung here, Little won’t make an impact until year 3 at the earliest except to maybe replace a guy who the Jets are paying $3M a year. We passed over McCoy, Jenkins and Risner for him, all of whom started day 1 and look to be solid anchors for years. So frustrating how bad Marty has been the past two drafts. Wasting Cam and CMC and Moore and looking like we won’t be competitive or be so bad we get a true franchise potential QB is frustrating.

4 minutes ago, WOW!! said:

Still was a A draft.. Those player were still a big part of a superbowl team.. That was a John Kasey mistake away from stopping a dynasty...

Dynasty?  One Super Bowl a dynasty doesn't make.  Also drafts need staying power and outside of Smitty, the other guys faded.  An 'A' if Morgan had stayed healthy and Jenkins not turned into a tub of lard.  Again, the difference maker in that draft was Smitty.  It's not an 'A' on draft day because nobody knew how Smitty would turn into a beast and not a 'A' after fact because the 3rd rounder was the gem of the draft as the others fell off into obscurity.

Funny, we are analyzing a 20-year old draft for success stories.  That should be a sign...but sure, let's cling to 2001.

15 minutes ago, shaq said:

That’s a good point, but just looking at who got drafted after with both picks we traded for him I think it’s gonna be hard for Little to be more valuable. Especially with the amount of talent drafted after him.

We talked about it at the time.  There was a ton, a ton of talent still on the board and we effing moved up.  Same  as the 3rd, still a lot of talent left and we pick a damn qb that we could have gotten as a udfa

Just now, 45catfan said:

Dynasty?  One Super Bowl a dynasty doesn't make.  Also drafts need staying power and outside of Smitty, the other guys faded.  An 'A' if Morgan had stayed healthy and Jenkins not turned into a tub of lard.  Again, the difference maker in that draft was Smitty.  It's not an 'A' on draft day because nobody knew how Smitty would turn into a beast and not a 'A' after fact because the 3rd rounder was the gem of the draft as the others fell off into obscurity.

Funny, we are analyzing a 20-year old draft for success stories.  That should be a sign...but sure, let's cling to 2001.

I'm tr talking about if that team would have beaten the "Patriots" it could have stopped their dynasty from happening...

The Avg. NFL career at that time was 3.5 years.. You got a accumulated 6 years out of both and 4 pro bowls.. 

You can't talking about staying power on a draft and talk about draft day grades in the same paragraph.. WTF happened there??

Not defending Hurney but reality is that was a A draft .. Jarrod Cooper was a good special teams guy and backup . Wenkie won a few games in a backup role and you got 3 pro bowlers.. That by any measurement is a A draft..

27 minutes ago, shaq said:

That’s a good point, but just looking at who got drafted after with both picks we traded for him I think it’s gonna be hard for Little to be more valuable. Especially with the amount of talent drafted after him.

You can literally do that every year.. Every team passes on misses out or draft the wrong player when they could've had blank... But let's give this more then 1 injured year before we pass judgment..

13 minutes ago, Asurfaholic said:

Oh look more complaining and hindsight armchair quarterbacking.

the team is making many significant changes, why not take a seat and see how it plays out.

Is it not fair to reflect on our current general managers draft history? We are literally talking about last years draft class and it is already clear that it was a waste. If we don’t reflect and make the right changes we will be stuck in mediocrity. A team cannot win a ring with Marty’s draft tendencies we have every right to talk about that until he is gone.

People are defending Marty with the fact that there was a good draft 20 years ago.  That is sad.  He has drug the team through the dumpster for 20 years.  He probably will find a starter at number 7 this year and people will call him a good drafter.

4 minutes ago, WOW!! said:

You can literally do that every year.. Every team passes on misses out or draft the wrong player when they could've had blank... But let's give this more then 1 injured year before we pass judgment..

I’m not giving up on Little, I’m honestly fairly optimistic about what he can become without injuries hindering him. But yeah ur completely right, every team makes those mistakes. I’m just frustrated in general like it’s getting to the point where only 1-2 maybe on a really good year 3 players remain on the team after two years. We keep missing and our drafts will never lead to sustained success, and I think it’s absurd that Hurney is still our gm. 

2 minutes ago, Cpt slay a ho said:

While the recent moves scream tepper or Rhule or both, you can literally do this with every draft. You can go down the line and say that about every gm in the nfl

Does that not mean we can’t reflect on it? When’s the last time we have had a draft with more then two players even remaining on the team after a couple years. If we don’t reflect we will never change and we will never win. If you can’t even reflect on ur mistakes how are you supposed to change them?

9 minutes ago, shaq said:

I’m not giving up on Little, I’m honestly fairly optimistic about what he can become without injuries hindering him. But yeah ur completely right, every team makes those mistakes. I’m just frustrated in general like it’s getting to the point where only 1-2 maybe on a really good year 3 players remain on the team after two years. We keep missing and our drafts will never lead to sustained success, and I think it’s absurd that Hurney is still our gm. 

Not giving up on him but I would be planning this team without him in mind.  If he works out then that is great but he is one hard hit from being out of this league

Archived