• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

[Thomas Davis] Jerry Krause=Dave Gettleman

Jesse

20 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

From various things I've read, there might be no bigger gap between public image and private behavior than there is with Michael Jordan.

Heard an interesting convo on one of the Sirius national sports radio channels yesterday...

...the interviewee was a Chicagoland sports reporter and the interviewer informed him that the 10-part documentary completely ignores the subject of Mike's gambling habits...

...the Chicagoland guy was extremely surprised and said he thought the omission called the integrity of the entire project into question.

I think there's a lot of validity to the comparison.

Both GMs inherited future MVPs and made shrewd moves to build the team around them into a championship caliber team. Then they let their egos and refusal to acknowledge the full importance of individual players lead to a premature breakdown of their championship window.

3 hours ago, Peon Awesome said:

Then they let their egos and refusal to acknowledge the full importance of individual players lead to a premature breakdown of their championship window.

The Bulls won 6 titles over the course of 8-years, that window was slamming shut no matter what.

Personally I like Gettleman but he can't carry Krause's jock....

5 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

From various things I've read, there might be no bigger gap between public image and private behavior than there is with Michael Jordan.

Meaning that he was nice in public but a prick in private or visa versa?   

I've always felt he had a bad public demeanor but I'm aware that most basketball fans love him.   That's why I'm not sure which way to take your comment.

I never valued his scoring ability (because most players at that level can score) but I always admired his defense.   If he got pissed he could shut down any player that wasn't named magic, bird, or shaq.   And he would still get 30 on top of that (12 from the foul line due to the Jordan rules).

On 4/20/2020 at 8:47 AM, Waldo said:

Dave was an ass but we won when he was here at a level we have never seen since. He was an ass and it got him fired but the players were out of control and bitching about contracts they shouldn't have been offered. Yall can also blame Ron for that because his guys were expected special treatment and this is where the train derailed. Ron never recovered and coached himself to the Redskins, Davis and Olsen are ghost and Dave is on his last chance in NY.

I find it funny that the guy who they are comparing him against was a gm for the dynasty bulls? So he was an ass but good at his job? I guess winning is not everything.

On 4/20/2020 at 8:52 AM, blackcat said:

Tired of butt hurt players.

On 4/20/2020 at 9:34 AM, The NFL Shield At Midfield said:

Gettleman is a dick but I'd rather have him in charge of this rebuild/retool than Hurney.  Absolute blistering fire take but there it is.

On 4/20/2020 at 9:53 AM, Panthero said:

Agreed, under Richardson players acted like the team owned them special favors cause they were "family". Dont remember alot of family friendly deals when guys were asked to take hometown discounts. You cant have it both ways. Its either cutthroat on both sides or not at all. Greg olsen was the worst offender and frankly im glad hes gone. 

These follow my feelings too. The team has gotten off course and fell into being a few different groups of boy bands. Each with their hit singles "Catch me cashing my check",  "I'll tell Mr. Richardson", and "Lets carpool and hold hands" 

12 minutes ago, ok2h8pep said:

Meaning that he was nice in public but a prick in private or visa versa?  

I've always felt he had a bad public demeanor but I'm aware that most basketball fans love him.   That's why I'm not sure which way to take your comment.

I never valued his scoring ability (because most players at that level can score) but I always admired his defense.   If he got pissed he could shut down any player that wasn't named magic, bird, or shaq.   And he would still get 30 on top of that (12 from the foul line due to the Jordan rules).

Jordan's marketing would make you think he's the nicest guy in the world. There are a fair number of private stories though that would say otherwise.

Valid? Unknown.

12 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Jordan's marketing would make you think he's the nicest guy in the world. There are a fair number of private stories though that would say otherwise.

Valid? Unknown.

Lets say he had a type and he acted like he wasnt married. I seen that first hand back in 2001 wilmington.  Darin Gantt and others where right, never meet your heros. 

15 hours ago, Basbear said:

These follow my feelings too. The team has gotten off course and fell into being a few different groups of boy bands. Each with their hit singles "Catch me cashing my check",  "I'll tell Mr. Richardson", and "Lets carpool and hold hands" 

"Catch me Cashing My Check" was a banger though, gotta give em that!

19 hours ago, RASTAN66 said:

The Bulls won 6 titles over the course of 8-years, that window was slamming shut no matter what.

Personally I like Gettleman but he can't carry Krause's jock....

Krause deserves a lot of credit for sure. But he seemed in an unnecessary rush to tear everything down. Reports say he wanted to start the rebuild efforts a year or two earlier than he did and basically had to get talked out of it and/or effectively overruled to keep it going another year or two. It's also hard to argue that you should completely blow up a team that won 3 straight championships unless you had a clear plan in mind to quickly return to relevance. Otherwise you should keep it going until things definitively are over. To say the Bulls couldn't have been in contention if they ran out a team with Jordan, Pippen and Phil Jackson for another year or two seems silly. Hell, the 8th seeded Knicks made it to the finals the next year out of the eastern conference. Compare that to what happened to the Bulls the next few years and it becomes harder to defend Krause's handling of the end of that era. Doesn't discount all the good things he did do. And appreciating some similarities with Gettleman doesn't mean they are equally good GMs. The world is not so black and white.

The NFL corollary would be Krause being the Patriots GM and letting Belichick and a 37 year old Brady go in 2015 after their super bowl win instead of allowing them to keep going where they would proceed to go to 3 straight super bowls over the next 4 years. Yeah he helped build the team that won 4 super bowls and deserves praise for that, but they could have won 6 if he left well enough alone.

Archived