• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Most 1st Team All-Pros Drafted Since 2000

The Huddler

On 4/28/2020 at 9:57 AM, JawnyBlaze said:

I would dispute he hits on more than most. Just like I said, he takes safer picks. He also misses more wildly than most.  But I will certainly admit this makes it look like it was more on coaching. 

If by safer pick you mean likely not to bust and highly productive, isn't that the point. If safe means good but not great so not worth the pick, then the fact he hit on some many All-pros would immediately belie your assertion.

36 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

If by safer pick you mean likely not to bust and highly productive, isn't that the point. If safe means good but not great so not worth the pick, then the fact he hit on some many All-pros would immediately belie your assertion.

Again, safe meaning low risk low reward positions like LB and RB. Having five all pro LBs on his resume is all good and well, but the one all pro QB on that list is much more valuable, and I’d rather have seen more all pro linemen than lbs and rbs

1 hour ago, JawnyBlaze said:

Again, safe meaning low risk low reward positions like LB and RB. Having five all pro LBs on his resume is all good and well, but the one all pro QB on that list is much more valuable, and I’d rather have seen more all pro linemen than lbs and rbs

Again how is an All pro at any position considered low reward?That makes no sense when you need all 22 players every game. Having the best guy at any position means you picked well and he is a high reward guy.  An All-pro quarterback is hugely important but is only as good as the linemen and skill positions around him. 

This team has always been a defensive team and many of our best picks were on the defensive side. I doubt many would agree that guys like Kuechly, Beason, Morgan and Davis were low reward kind of guys. You are clearly nitpicking to find fault with Hurney.

Absolutely terrible metric to try and prove a GMs worth.  

What is the win/loss record during that time?

How many back to back winning seasons?

Actually Baltimore and NE being high on that list is more impressive.  Since they are consistently in the playoffs I'm guessing they haven't had as many top 10 picks.

Being a GM is about finding the best player in each draft, its about assembling the most total talent on a team.

Hurney probably isn't as bad as a lot of people around here think, but at the same time I think we could do better.

9 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

Absolutely terrible metric to try and prove a GMs worth.  

What is the win/loss record during that time?

How many back to back winning seasons?

Actually Baltimore and NE being high on that list is more impressive.  Since they are consistently in the playoffs I'm guessing they haven't had as many top 10 picks.

Being a GM is about finding the best player in each draft, its about assembling the most total talent on a team.

Hurney probably isn't as bad as a lot of people around here think, but at the same time I think we could do better.

Wins and losses is a worse metric to use.  You can bring in all the talent in the world and the coach mucks it up.  The up and down seasons happened no matter who the GM was with Ron. 

Archived