• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Wont partake in Trevor Lawerence sweepstakes

ncfan

Just now, thefuzz said:

Oh, we could still be plenty bad enough to land him or Fields...but not likely...that would be a bit too smart for this football team.

The worst case scenario is basically a repeat of last year. We're really bad but not quite bad enough to land what we really need - an elite QB prospect. 

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

The worst case scenario is basically a repeat of last year. We're really bad but not quite bad enough to land what we really need - an elite QB prospect. 

Correct, it's pretty much what I feared as soon as Teddy walked through the door.  Have a top 10 selection (again under Hurney) but not quite bad enough to get one of the best QB prospects in a LONG time.

I can see us winning 4 games...2 too many.

2 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

Correct, it's pretty much what I feared as soon as Teddy walked through the door.  Have a top 10 selection (again under Hurney) but not quite bad enough to get one of the best QB prospects in a LONG time.

I can see us winning 4 games...2 too many.

Yep, as soon as the Teddy rumors started I said a veteran bandaid like Teddy is very possibly inviting the worst case scenario. Nowhere near good enough to legitimately compete, but just good enough to severely hinder our efforts to secure our next franchise QB. I was all for letting Will Grier be our modern day Jimmy Clausen. Throw him out there and let him deliver that #1 pick.

I'd be fine with Fields too. Who knows, maybe another Burrow will come out of nowhere to steal the show. 

I'd also be fine with waiting until '22 and taking Sam Howell.

Basically what I'm getting at is that as long as Teddy Bridgewater is the starting QB, it's always going to be a lot more about looking to the future than it is going to be excitement for the present.

The article is accurate. The Panthers will not be the worst team in the NFL. Another top 10 pick in the draft? Maybe, and probably. But this is not a horrible team.

The offense is arguably better than in 2019. Bridgewater is an upgrade over Allen. Robby Anderson was a nice upgrade at the WR2 spot. The offensive line has potential to be improved with Okung at LT. The only possible downgrade is at TE with Ian Thomas replacing Greg Olsen. And don't forget, the do-everything player that single handedly took the Panthers out of the running for the #1 overall pick in 2019 is still on the roster (do I need to say his name?)

The defense might actually be better too. It was insanely bad at the end of 2019, especially after Rivera was fired. You might be surprised how much of a difference young hungry players coached by a staff that is actually motivated to prove themselves at the pro level will make. I'll take that over complacent Rivera and his declining veterans.

3 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Yep, as soon as the Teddy rumors started I said a veteran bandaid like Teddy is very possibly inviting the worst case scenario. Nowhere near good enough to legitimately compete, but just good enough to severely hinder our efforts to secure our next franchise QB. I was all for letting Will Grier be our modern day Jimmy Clausen. Throw him out there and let him deliver that #1 pick.

Here is a scenario where Hurney could have learned from his massive F%&K up with Cam and his rookie deal.  We all know the formula, unless you have a generational QB, you likely need a young good passer on a rookie deal with a good team around him and some cap dollars in the bank to make specific moves.

We were there, we could have stripped this roster down to the bones with only a handful of key players retained, cleaned up the cap completely, built the O Line last year and this year, along side the D line, and accumulated draft picks while putting you into the position to grab Fields or Lawrence...which ever you grade higher and make a run at it.

The very best part...by the time we were ready to compete...3 years from now, Brady and Brees will be gone, and Ryan is even older..the division would be ours for 5+ years.

Nope.  Let's win 4 games.  Shortsighted...like this team has been for it's entire existence.

1 minute ago, thefuzz said:

Here is a scenario where Hurney could have learned from his massive F%&K up with Cam and his rookie deal.  We all know the formula, unless you have a generational QB, you likely need a young good passer on a rookie deal with a good team around him and some cap dollars in the bank to make specific moves.

We were there, we could have stripped this roster down to the bones with only a handful of key players retained, cleaned up the cap completely, built the O Line last year and this year, along side the D line, and accumulated draft picks while putting you into the position to grab Fields or Lawrence...which ever you grade higher and make a run at it.

The very best part...by the time we were ready to compete...3 years from now, Brady and Brees will be gone, and Ryan is even older..the division would be ours for 5+ years.

Nope.  Let's win 4 games.  Shortsighted...like this team has been for it's entire existence.

I agree. It makes no sense to sign a mediocre veteran bandaid QB at $20M per season to put a mid-rebuild team around him that likely won't be very good for a couple of years. 

13 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

That’s the most likely outcome unless Teddy stinks because our OL is mediocre. That article is just an opinion piece but realistically we are 0-6 or 1-5 in this division based on the changes in the other teams and our rookie laden D. I loved the draft but assuming all the rookie starters play great this year is wishful thinking. Chinn might not start right away and Pride is going to be on an island/not better than Bradberry year 1 and Yetur is likely not going to be better than Addison. I think Brown, obviously, will help improve us the most but I’m not optimistic about Short. I think he’ll be a big waste of money. Whitehead sure isn’t going to help us enough to replace Luke. I just don’t see our 2020 D being better than this year or even 2018 when we were awful most of the season.

Also, the guy who wrote the article sure isn’t thinking about depth. We have none. If we get some key injuries, ooh wee, it could be awful and injury happens.

Archived