• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Sean Payton says NFL "wasn't ready" for pass interference rule.

kungfoodude

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story?id=29177169&_slug_=saints-sean-payton-says-nfl-ready-pass-interference-replay-reviews

Sean Payton is not surprised that the NFL plans to end its one-year experiment of allowing pass interference calls to be reviewed by replay.

Appearing on Baltimore's 105.7 The Fan on Thursday, Payton said it became clear last season that "we weren't prepared to enforce that and monitor that the correct way."

"I think the theory behind what the league voted on certainly had a chance to be successful. But quite honestly we weren't ready in New York to handle it," Payton said, referencing the league's officiating headquarters, where PI replay reviews were determined. "And I know that sounds critical, but that's just a fact. The consistency and the ability to take in the calls and at least come up with a fairly level basis of what we're gonna interpret that call on. And if we're not ready there, then we shouldn't have it.

"And I think that's the feeling that all of us have right now, including myself."

Payton was a driving force behind the league's groundbreaking decision to allow pass interference calls to be reviewed for the first time last season after his team was the victim of a controversial missed PI call in the 2018 NFC Championship Game.

But like many other coaches and fans, Payton became disenchanted with the league's frustratingly high and inconsistent standard for overturning such calls.

sad tantrum GIF

You mean the refs are too ignorant and indignant to accept the fact that they make mistakes and get calls wrong. Such BS. The point of the rule was to make a fairer game so the refs wouldn’t cheat teams out of the game. The refs boycotted it and basically got away with it. Such crap. Just shows the NFL doesn’t care about making the game fair.

8 minutes ago, OneBadCat said:

You mean the refs are too ignorant and indignant to accept the fact that they make mistakes and get calls wrong. Such BS. The point of the rule was to make a fairer game so the refs wouldn’t cheat teams out of the game. The refs boycotted it and basically got away with it. Such crap. Just shows the NFL doesn’t care about making the game fair.

No, it shows what everyone said beforehand. The calls are subjective. To add it to the review process is fuging retarded.

I thought it was a good rule. NFL referees are incompetent, biased, and think people are tuning in to watch them. I hate officials. They need to make everything reviewable and their needs to be more accountability from bad calls. 

1 hour ago, OneBadCat said:

It’s to the point now where if there is a close game and it’s coming down to the wire, one team is going to get jammed and an official is going to decide a game. Officiating influences game outcomes. I hate when people are like “oh well don’t put the game in the hands of the officials” uh yeah right the only way to do that is win by 50 

3 hours ago, 4Corners said:

I thought it was a good rule. NFL referees are incompetent, biased, and think people are tuning in to watch them. I hate officials. They need to make everything reviewable and their needs to be more accountability from bad calls. 

I wish they would incorporate something like some kind of panel of 32 people (1 rep for each team) that was responsible for watching game film of each game each week. They then vote on how many bad calls there were in a game (having to reference a certain play like play #90) and deduct ref's salaries based on whether a certain percentage all said the same play was bad. You could even exempt each team's rep from voting for their team's games. For example, if 70%+ of the panel determined that there were 2 bad calls in a game (say play #50 and #90), the refs pay for that game gets deducted by 20% (10% for each bad call). I think putting that kind of accountability on refs would make them quickly change their hubris when their paycheck gets impacted.

4 hours ago, PleaseCutStewart said:

I wish they would incorporate something like some kind of panel of 32 people (1 rep for each team) that was responsible for watching game film of each game each week. They then vote on how many bad calls there were in a game (having to reference a certain play like play #90) and deduct ref's salaries based on whether a certain percentage all said the same play was bad. You could even exempt each team's rep from voting for their team's games. For example, if 70%+ of the panel determined that there were 2 bad calls in a game (say play #50 and #90), the refs pay for that game gets deducted by 20% (10% for each bad call). I think putting that kind of accountability on refs would make them quickly change their hubris when their paycheck gets impacted.

All you really have to do is just simply grade each ref on their performances(percentage of correct calls or instances of missed calls) and rank them. I believe the NFL already may do this.

3 minutes ago, jfra78 said:

I was fine with the rule, but I think all reviews should be done by offsite officials.  The guys on the field arent going to reverse anything unless its blatant

That is what the NHL does for some penalties. Those calls from league HQ. It works pretty well.

However, do you really trust the NFL like that? I certainly don't. 

11 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

That is what the NHL does for some penalties. Those calls from league HQ. It works pretty well.

However, do you really trust the NFL like that? I certainly don't. 

More than the guys on the field? Yes.  

Archived