• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Snow/Rhule Might Be On To Something

Untouchable

21 minutes ago, MMA said:

If you go look at the depth chart for a lot of teams, they are showing 3 corners or safeties and taking away the other olb. This ain’t a Rhule and Snow thing. It’s a copycat around the league that a lot of teams are starting to do. Omg Panthers fans. 

How many are playing three high safeties though? Nickel or big nickel packages aren't the same as three high safeties. Other than prevent D situations, I can't recall seeing many if any three high safety looks in the NFL. 

Well it's the perfect season to try it. No one except the team to compete and either it pan out and show potential or we get a high pick.

Rhule and his staff will be coaching the team for a while so if they aren't on the right track, a rough awakening from the start could be the best* thing happening. 

*if they are willing to learn from their mistakes and adapt. 

13 minutes ago, kass said:

Well it's the perfect season to try it. No one except the team to compete and either it pan out and show potential or we get a high pick.

Yep, I agree. I appreciate Rhule giving his guy Snow a shot, but I'm not sure he'll ultimately be the answer as an NFL DC. I wouldn't be at all shocked if this year's D is an abysmal failure and we go out and hire a legit NFL DC next year.

I don't really see a place for Burns here. 

Normal caveats apply: no team runs one defense all the time, good coaches adjust their scheme to fit the talent instead of the other way around, etc. etc. Just saying--this is a 3-man defensive line that has to do a lot of two-gapping. I get the Brown fit, and even the Gross-Matos fit--he graded out well against the run last year, per PFF. But Burns' fit is a little less obvious.

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Yep, I agree. I appreciate Rhule giving his guy Snow a shot, but I'm not sure he'll ultimately be the answer as an NFL DC. I wouldn't be at all shocked if this year's D is an abysmal failure and we go out and hire a legit NFL DC next year.

To be fair to Snow, the personnel should be bad enough to make the defense an abysmal failure. The scheme might not matter at all. 

14 minutes ago, theinstrumental said:

I don't really see a place for Burns here. 

Normal caveats apply: no team runs one defense all the time, good coaches adjust their scheme to fit the talent instead of the other way around, etc. etc. Just saying--this is a 3-man defensive line that has to do a lot of two-gapping. I get the Brown fit, and even the Gross-Matos fit--he graded out well against the run last year, per PFF. But Burns' fit is a little less obvious.

I see no reason he can't play weakside DE in a four man front. I wouldn't be surprised to see him play at 260+ this season on his way to 270 long-term.

Just now, theinstrumental said:

He was a second rounder. Teams expect those guys to contribute, he should be part of the plan.

Oh, I definitely think he will be, but we have some people acting like he's going to be the guy we're building this defense around. I seriously doubt that, especially as a rookie. I wouldn't be surprised if he plays a joker-type role similar to what TD played as a rookie. A somewhat position-less roamer. 

32 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Chinn is a mod round rookie who hasn't had a pro practice yet.

I dare say we may be getting ahead of ourselves.

The people thinking we are winning 9+ games this year are getting ahead of themselves. I would have preferred the full on rebuild to save an extra $90M in cap space and ensure we get one of whoever are our top 2 QBs in the draft, but I’m all for throwing the rookies in the fire. This year isn’t a playoff year so let them learn. Paying Short $13M to be mediocre, not a good plan. Letting Chinn make mistakes and get great experience, good plan.

29 minutes ago, theinstrumental said:

He was a second rounder. Teams expect those guys to contribute, he should be part of the plan.

They do? Even at pick 64? Lots of people in here said Little shouldn’t be expected to contribute and he was almost a first rounder. Heck the trade capital we used was enough for a first round pick. Seems like we aren’t expecting him to contribute until year 3, if at all.

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I see no reason he can't play weakside DE in a four man front. I wouldn't be surprised to see him play at 260+ this season on his way to 270 long-term.

Honestly, my gut feeling is that Burns is going to have a relatively short career.

Might be injuries. Might be system fit. Might be something else. Don't know, but I just don't see him lasting.

Mind you, I'm sure we'll give him plenty of chances.

1 hour ago, stbugs said:

They do? Even at pick 64? Lots of people in here said Little shouldn’t be expected to contribute and he was almost a first rounder. Heck the trade capital we used was enough for a first round pick. Seems like we aren’t expecting him to contribute until year 3, if at all.

If a team loses most of their back seven (or eight, I guess), hires a coach who uses more defensive backs, and then trades up to draft a safety....I'd say probably? 

No comment on Little. Different case. Coaching staff change, ownership newly involved on the football side, etc.

Archived