• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Sherrod Martin still starting this week?

Mr ocho nueve

Thought I saw a thread about him starting (S). I could be wrong. Anyway, if he does and he makes some rookie mistakes I don't believe he should be flamed too harshly for it from the Huddle because he has shown far more promise than anyone currently playing the position and they've all had plenty of time to hone their skills. This guy is fresh. I just hope he can stay in rhythm, being a rook and all. We're definitely gonna need him. I'm really enjoying all these rookies being in the mix. Get'em in early in their positions and let them do their thing. Coaches like Andy Reid aren't shy about throwing their freshly drafted rookies in on day 1. The more the bulk of the Defense gets play time, the more these guys will solidify and feed off each other. Rather then guys that hardly ever get to play being thrown in while they are cold and unacclimated.

I don't have the link but Gantt reported that Godfrey didn't even make the trip. I really hope the medical staff takes it slow with his injury and makes sure he is fully healed before they send him back out there. Maybe they should put him on IR just to be sure. You know, you can't be too careful.

Why would we put Godfrey at corner?

Maybe we could put him in at some nickel packages, but why mess with a good thing? Munnerlyn's been playing well. I'm a critic of C.J. Wilson, but he's also looked good during a few plays he's come in.

A former safety, Godfrey has shown significant improvement in his two years at the [CB] position. He is hyper-aggressive in his run support and seems to relish the physical aspect of the game. Godfrey averaged 74 tackles over his two seasons at cornerback, but it is his improvement as a pass defender that has scouts so intrigued. Godfrey showed better recognition as a senior and an ability to make the big play (nine pass break-ups, five INTs).

There are some concerns about his transition -- Godfrey isn't as fast on the field as his timed speed -- which could result in his being moved back to safety in the NFL, at least initially. There are some concerns, but Godfrey's physicality and raw athleticism will result in an early-round selection despite the fact that he remains a bit unpolished.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/charles-godfrey?id=1292

Because that's where he was the best...

A former safety, Godfrey has shown significant improvement in his two years at the [CB] position. He is hyper-aggressive in his run support and seems to relish the physical aspect of the game. Godfrey averaged 74 tackles over his two seasons at cornerback, but it is his improvement as a pass defender that has scouts so intrigued. Godfrey showed better recognition as a senior and an ability to make the big play (nine pass break-ups, five INTs).

There are some concerns about his transition -- Godfrey isn't as fast on the field as his timed speed -- which could result in his being moved back to safety in the NFL, at least initially. There are some concerns, but Godfrey's physicality and raw athleticism will result in an early-round selection despite the fact that he remains a bit unpolished.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/charles-godfrey?id=1292

Because that's where he was the best...

Thank you. I'm getting a little tired of people second guessing John Fox for moving Godfrey to safety when all the scouting reports were saying that safety was the position where he would be most likely to succeed early on in the NFL. Not to mention the fact that when Godfrey was drafted, safety was one of the biggest needs this team had.

Fox is not a perfect HC by any stretch of the imagination, but some of the things he gets criticized for around here make no sense.

Thank you. I'm getting a little tired of people second guessing John Fox for moving Godfrey to safety when all the scouting reports were saying that safety was the position where he would be most likely to succeed early on in the NFL. Not to mention the fact that when Godfrey was drafted, safety was one of the biggest needs this team had.

Fox is not a perfect HC by any stretch of the imagination, but some of the things he gets criticized for around here make no sense.

Im just happy to have a player that can out play him. Like I said before he seems to learn slow. It has nothing to do with his talent because he has alot. Martin is just a better player. We should be happy to have such a good problem.

What makes me pissed is that if Fox wanted a FS why didn't he get a guy like Craig Steltz or Tom Zbikowski (more of a SS but he could be depth at both positions). Why does he seem to be obessed with getting these guys that he believes played outta position in college and will be good once converted. I love Davis (but he was piced 14th overall and it took 4 season to be worth that pick) but I believe both the experiments of Martin (at CB) and Godfrey (at FS) are both over. I believe Martin keeps the starting FS position and Godfrey becomes a swing player (playing all over the secondary as needed). I think that is were they both have the best chance to succeed.

BTW why on earth did Fox not bring in some good vet talent at FS last year. Was he really expecting a guy that played CB in college would perform up to starting expectations?

Archived