• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Matt Rhule wants to win

Jeremy Igo

Not to get too scatter brained while I'm distracting myself from work but Tanner Morgan is also a super interesting cat.  Another guy that doesn't have the huge deep ball but really knows how to win and lead.  Sure, he's had Tyler Johnson and Bateman (arguably the best WR in CFB), but seems like a much less scrappy Mishnew.  Could see him as a fringe first/2nd rounder. 

I see 3 top 1st rounders and about 3-4 fringe 1st that could rise throughout the year (KJ Costello, Ehlinger, Trask, Morgan)

The only guys I'm not a fan of are Mond & Purdy

Newman is a huge question mark and his decision to no-go with covid after transferring to UGA only makes him more mysterious. 

19 minutes ago, PanthersGTI said:

Who the hell wants to spend their Sunday hoping their team loses a game? Why even watch? I guess you could come back in 3 years after you've deemed it acceptable for them to win games.

A large portion of internet fans. I couldn't even finish the most recent podcast from One Panther Place because pretty much  they never talked about the game and just belittled and acted condescending towards fans who want to win and enjoy a win while saying they aren't belittling the same.

I don't know what sports have become but it's becoming more of a drag than anything.

6 hours ago, Mother Grabber said:

I can't imagine any "real fan" rooting for their team to lose.

Especially before they have officially been eliminated form  playoff contention. Hope springs eternal everybody should still be rooting for their tean to win as much as possible. Unless you're the Jets whose team hasn't competed at all and your coach looks like he's about to be fired.

But the Panthers have competed all 3 weeks and look to be improving especially this young defense. If preseason expectations meant anything the 2003 Carolina Panthers with starting Qb Rodney Peete and backup Qb Jake Delhomme would have never made it to the Super Bowl. 

Not saying this Panther team is bound to repeat that, but why would you want them to lose before the games have been played. 

5 minutes ago, Pantherxtreme said:

Especially before they have officially been eliminated form  playoff contention. Hope springs eternal everybody should still be rooting for their tean to win as much as possible. Unless you're the Jets whose team hasn't competed at all and your coach looks like he's about to be fired.

But the Panthers have competed all 3 weeks and look to be improving especially this young defense. If preseason expectations meant anything the 2003 Carolina Panthers with starting Qb Rodney Peete and backup Qb Jake Delhomme would have never made it to the Super Bowl. 

Not saying this Panther team is bound to repeat that, but why would you want them to lose before the games have been played. 

On paper this team doesn't have it to go to the Playoffs, you can bring up 2003 all you want. I can bring up the fact there have been no real surprise teams to win the Super Bowl since the Giants won, teams have made the playoffs the year before. There have been zero Wild Card teams make the Super Bowl the past 7 years too. NFL is getting predictable lately. No one wants to hear it, but it's just facts. The percentage that a team can come out of nowhere to win a Super Bowl is basically gone, usually that team made the Playoffs the year before or is predicted to get there. 

4 hours ago, Pantherfan84 said:

I've seen a couple on here, but only one stands out to me is nctarheelreincarnated. 

There's actually a lot, because most have common sense when it comes to this sort of thing. The people rooting for getting Trevor Lawrence, Justin Fields, etc. Yeah, those are the guys wanting us to suck to get a better QB. Just an FYI. 

To be honest, I'm a little concerned with any player that we draft in the postseason. COVID-19 created a very different landscape where some guys lost opportunities to get reps to get better or put out a better product for the scouts.

I don't understand this idea that we have to get a QB right now when we have one that is going to start next season, and possibly the following if we get a QB then that would benefit from sitting. There are PLENTY of other places that we need to worry about improving:

• OT - Moton & Okung are both not under contract for next season. Neither is Trent Scott. That leaves the team with Little & Daley. Even if the team retains Moton, there is still a clear need at OT unless one of those two other players steps up. Penei Sewell out of Oregon could be a huge boost to any QB that the team has calling the plays.
  • OG - Miller, Schofield, and Reed are all on 1yr deals. That leaves our interior options the aforementioned Little & Daley.
  • C - Larsen's contract expires this season and is a back-up at best. Paradis has one year left after this season, or the team can cut him afterwards to save $8.5M and carry over $3.6M in dead cap the season after. Creed Humphrey out of Oklahoma could be an option if the Panthers play themselves out of the top 10.
  • WR - Seems crazy, right? It isn't. While the team will still have DJ and Robby, the following are set to be free agents: Curtis, Zylstra, Roberts, Cooper, and Kirkwood. Basically two-thirds of our WRs. Kirkwood & Zylstra are set to be RFAs, but we will still need restock the cupboards there if we are going to be running 3 WR sets.
  • TE - Ian Thomas is the only TE under contract next season, even if we include Armah.
  • MLB - Tahir Whitehead on a 1yr deal. Micah Parsons can be had in the top 5 - 10.
  • CB - Rasul Douglas, Eli Apple, and Corn Elder are not under contract for next season. While Corn hasn't exactly given a reason to be kept on board and we haven't gotten to see what Apple can do in a Panthers uniform, it's fairly clear (to me at least) that we need to find a way to keep Rasul Douglas. Donte's final year of his rookie deal is the following season as well, so unless Troy Pride Jr & Stanley Oliver-Thomas III somehow level up to be the future I don't think the team can rest when it comes to the CB group.
  • ST - Slye is on a 1yr deal, Jansen's contract is done after this season, and as mentioned in the WR section Cooper is set to walk as well. Special teams is going to need some love.

8 hours ago, top dawg said:

You don't get "a very low pick" at 5-11 or 6-10. And I, for one, think it's very weird to root for your team to lose. A loser mentality is a loser mentality. Thank God that professionals don't think like certain Huddlers!

I agree, but at some point I think it is reasonable for a fan of a team to think more about long term success than individual games being won at the end of seasons in which we're already eliminated from playoff contention. I.e., if we have 3 wins going into the last week or something and a win would mean missing out on Fields/Lance and not getting one of the top 3 QBs this draft, I think that would be a bad win. I would never want the team to intentionally tank/lose a game, even in that situation, but as a fan I don't see an issue with wanting us to lose a game like that. Of course in an ideal world, draft position doesn't matter one bit and your team's FO can scout players and find their QB later than the top few picks, but that doesn't always work out and your odds of getting a top QB certainly decrease as you drop in the draft. 

Teddy is a stopgap, the large large majority of SB winners have had a legitimate long term franchise QB who can carry his team's play at times. Teddy is not that and we should certainly strive for better, and I think it's completely reasonable for fans to want to get that franchise QB, even if it means a few more losses in a year like this one.

1 hour ago, t96 said:

I agree, but at some point I think it is reasonable for a fan of a team to think more about long term success than individual games being won at the end of seasons in which we're already eliminated from playoff contention. I.e., if we have 3 wins going into the last week or something and a win would mean missing out on Fields/Lance and not getting one of the top 3 QBs this draft, I think that would be a bad win. I would never want the team to intentionally tank/lose a game, even in that situation, but as a fan I don't see an issue with wanting us to lose a game like that. Of course in an ideal world, draft position doesn't matter one bit and your team's FO can scout players and find their QB later than the top few picks, but that doesn't always work out and your odds of getting a top QB certainly decrease as you drop in the draft. 

Teddy is a stopgap, the large large majority of SB winners have had a legitimate long term franchise QB who can carry his team's play at times. Teddy is not that and we should certainly strive for better, and I think it's completely reasonable for fans to want to get that franchise QB, even if it means a few more losses in a year like this one.

Yep. Thank you, sir. 

9 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Thats not what you said. Don't move the goal posts. 

You said "very Panthers fan (real fans) I've talked to in person, or texted were mad we won the other day."

I don't know any "real fans" that were mad that we won. That is a laughable notion. 

I was devastated that we won and I am a hardcore fan.

Delayed gratification Jeremy. 

It's like buying a beater car and saving up the cash to buy your dream car later.

Or like buying a mutual fund. Think long term.

9 hours ago, gakonline said:

You need to find a different team. There is no guarantee anyone we draft next year will give us immediate or sustained success for the future. You build a winning culture from the start & continue to build. You realize when you tank it will still be three years before you see success from your draft hero. 

I'm sorry but you are just wrong.

You don't have to lose on purpose to lose.

6 minutes ago, SaltnPepper said:

I was devastated that we won and I am a hardcore fan.

Delayed gratification Jeremy. 

It's like buying a beater car and saving up the cash to buy your dream car later.

Or like buying a mutual fund. Think long term.

So you want us to follow Cleveland’s model of success?

8 hours ago, saX man said:

I know this can be situational to the draft year/talent coming out, but just consider where all the top QBs in the league came from:

Lamar, Mahomes, Brees, Wilson, Watson, Rodgers, Prescott, Allen...the highest pick was Josh Allen at 7 overall. 

There aren't even many outliers, you've got Goff (1) Kyler (1) Cam (1)

Even look at other positions--Everyone was getting all crazy about Isaiah Simmons being this instant pro-ready stud, and he looked awful/completely out of his league week 1 and is now behind vets, getting minimal playing time.  You simply never truly know until you throw them out there. Even with Lawrence, Fields, etc.  Same thing happened with Solomon Thomas.  I remember how many craved him like a nice stick of buttah.

Who knows, maybe 4 years from now people will be saying how the hell Sam Ehlinger was drafted behind Trevor and Fields.   

Maybe we end up pick 12-18 and still grab a QB of the future.  Just play to win the game.  Game by game.  Having the right staff in place is the most important thing and getting the overall team that can be a league-wide diabolical force.   

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/draft/

You guys keep talking about Rodgers but he was the 2nd QB taken that year.

I'm sure he would have gone higher but I suspect most teams felt they were set.

Archived