• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

REPORT: Industry sources are watching the Panthers for potential GM opening

TheSpecialJuan

1 hour ago, Khyber53 said:

You be you, man. He'll still be here next year.

Like Rivera?

I'm not so sure that's true, but truth be told it may not matter. If we're headed toward a setup where Matt Rhule runs everything, then the GM is just going to be there to do the legwork.

For the record, Marty's contract runs out next July. In order to stay beyond that, he'll need an extension.

12 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

This is not one of those times.

Marty does only one thing well, and that one thing is not good enough to make him a full power GM. He does several other things poorly (free agency, contracts, total roster building, etc) and has proven so over many years.

He's not good enough. Pretty much everybody knows it. Only a few people don't want to admit it.

Does every GM in the NFL do every aspect of their job well enough to warrant full control? Does every HC in the NFL do every aspect of their job well enough to warrant full control. No to both, but fortunately they both are in a system, much like the players, where they can rely on their team and work together to improve the team. This isn't the Rivera pointing finger era anymore. This is a team. Unfortunately, a lot of people like rehashing our history of past mistakes instead of embracing the future and acknowledging that there will still be mistakes. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

Like Rivera?

I'm not so sure that's true, but truth be told it may not matter. If we're headed toward a setup where Matt Rhule runs everything, then the GM is just going to be there to do the legwork.

For the record, Marty's contract runs out next July. In order to stay beyond that, he'll need an extension.

Yeah. In July, I think there's a better than 50% chance he'll get an extension.

Either way, the moves made in the last nine months seem to have made the team better, or at least better than they were. Like a poorly maintained car, though, there's still a lot of work to be done under the hood and we'll need a new coat of paint before we're shiny and ready for the spotlight again. I do think that Hurney has had his sleeves rolled up and has been working hard at this. Is he working under Rhule's direction? Sure and that's a good thing. Is he being directed by ownership as well? Most definitely. Could he be the kind of guy that can do both? Right now, seems like he is.

Love him or hate him, there's a certain knack for survival he has, even if he's thought to be dead and gone.

41 minutes ago, PantherPhann89 said:

Does every GM in the NFL do every aspect of their job well enough to warrant full control? Does every HC in the NFL do every aspect of their job well enough to warrant full control. No to both, but fortunately they both are in a system, much like the players, where they can rely on their team and work together to improve the team. This isn't the Rivera pointing finger era anymore. This is a team. Unfortunately, a lot of people like rehashing our history of past mistakes instead of embracing the future and acknowledging that there will still be mistakes. 

The ones who manage to preside over more than three winning seasons out of fourteen do.

44 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

Yeah. In July, I think there's a better than 50% chance he'll get an extension.

Either way, the moves made in the last nine months seem to have made the team better, or at least better than they were. Like a poorly maintained car, though, there's still a lot of work to be done under the hood and we'll need a new coat of paint before we're shiny and ready for the spotlight again. I do think that Hurney has had his sleeves rolled up and has been working hard at this. Is he working under Rhule's direction? Sure and that's a good thing. Is he being directed by ownership as well? Most definitely. Could he be the kind of guy that can do both? Right now, seems like he is.

Love him or hate him, there's a certain knack for survival he has, even if he's thought to be dead and gone.

His primary "knack for survival" was Jerry Richardson. Nobody else was even willing to hire him as a scout until he got passed on to Tepper.

And see, again your standard for "let's keep him" is basically just "well, we're not the worst".

Some of us actually want, you know, good. And we'd like it more consistently than 25% of the time.

19 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

His primary "knack for survival" was Jerry Richardson. Nobody else was even willing to hire him as a scout until he got passed on to Tepper.

And see, again your standard for "let's keep him" is basically just "well, we're not the worst".

Some of us actually want, you know, good. And we'd like it more consistently than 25% of the time.

You keep putting words into my mouth. That's okay. You win. 

54 minutes ago, jfra78 said:

I guess he expects a GM to be able to completely tear down a team and rebuild to contend for the Superbowl in 1 offseason

No, he actually has very good and reasonable reasons for disliking Marty Hurney and how things have gone here since around 2002. While I agree with the outcomes of the seasons with @Mr. Scot I don't always agree with him on the details of how we arrived at them. We also have different views of a team and how it fits into the overall world of the NFL. 

I'm a bit of a pollyanna thinking it's all for the good, he used to be an optimist but he's taken a lot of gut punches from the team over the years. We share a great passion for this team. And I genuinely like Mr. Scot and value his opinion, even when I don't agree with it. 

19 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

This is not one of those times.

Marty does only one thing well, and that one thing is not good enough to make him a full power GM. He does several other things poorly (free agency, contracts, total roster building, etc) and has proven so over many years.

He's not good enough. Pretty much everybody knows it. Only a few people don't want to admit it.

You need to listen to Rhules Wednesday press conference. Asked about NO and he mentioned Jeff Ireland and said they are friends. Said he always treated him nice before he got started and was about to take a job for them, but had to ask for his old job back. 

Archived