• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

QB Conundrum

WarHeel

8 minutes ago, onmyown said:

You guys act like there are so many choices out there and we’re not rebuilding. What other choice is there? Cam is done. Herbert was snagged before we would have for sure taken him last year. He was the last legit QB on the board the next went like in the 4th round. And guess what? This year is no better. There are top 3 and then no one looking close to a possible franchise QB after them.

And before saying something like start Grier to get the first pick, this isn’t madden. You don’t hire a new coach and blatantly tank. The players won’t buy it and neither will the coaches. It would have built a shitty culture.

But you know what? Wouldn’t of mattered anyways. The defense just gave up 46 points today, who is this magical QB you guys have in mind that’s going to beat that? Worst defense in the league.

TB is simply implementing a system and will be doing it next year too, get used to it and realize we are probably rebuilding key areas before being able to see the future QB unless we mortgage the future to get one, which would be incredibly stupid given the defense is historically putrid.

Be patient and enjoy the process.

You might want to check out the Dolphins. They did exactly what you said should never be done and are doing pretty good in year two. With a QB that cost 13M for 2 years. 

2 minutes ago, GOOGLE JIM BOB COOTER said:

when they signed him i was assured by people on this forum that it was actually a steal. turns out they bid against themselves and ended up paying like $21 million AAV to a backup quarterback. i don’t know how the FO would try to justify it in private but i suspect it had everything to do with needing to save face and not wanting to tank fan interest after cutting cam. 

I know you can’t see me but I’m playing the smallest of violins just for you and your saltiness regarding Cam’s release.

10 minutes ago, WarHeel said:

Ding ding ding.

6 minutes ago, WarHeel said:

You’re talking roughly 2 seasons worth of games with a significant lapse in time in the mix with the knee injury. I think it’s only logical to assume there are some unknowns.

To your point about being in a 'third camp' why did you not put that in your OP? That's the camp that pretty much everyone is in, myself included. Improve the team but don't rule out upgrading QB as well.

No one is saying that Teddy and the offense should be scoring 50 every game but how in the world do you watch his performance the end of the last 4 weeks and the second half of this week and see anything at all promising? 2 scores down, 6 minutes, and checkdowns? Just like last week against KC? Just weak.

Last year he looked exactly like he did in Minnesota but with a better offensive mind, and this year has been more of the exact same but with lesser coaching. There are little to no unknowns left.

8 minutes ago, GOOGLE JIM BOB COOTER said:

do you think having a quarterback who can’t sustain drives helps or hurts a defense?

Are we leading the league in punting attempts  or something? Three and outs? Anything that would bolster the narrative that says the primary blame for our W-L record falls on Bridgewater?

Just now, WarHeel said:

Are we leading the league in punting attempts  or something? Three and outs? Anything that would bolster the narrative that says the primary blame for our W-L record falls on Bridgewater?

Bridgewater isn’t the answer. Merely a stopgap. 

let it go.

1 hour ago, WarHeel said:

By now you’ve likely found yourself in one of two camps regarding our current QB situation. 

Some believe Teddy’s is doing about as well as anyone would do under the circumstances of starting with a fresh system, depleted line, injuries to your best weapon. 

The other side claims that he is subpar or certainly not a franchise QB due to the fact that he can only dink and dunk, isn’t clutch, etc. These folks typically use language that suggests the coaching staff is forced to call plays that fit Teddy’s abilities or lack-thereof. This narrative typically ignores the notion of subpar protection from the offensive line, defensive woes, learning curve in a new system with the most turned-over roster in the NFL, etc. All the while touting how great our coaching staff has been in the process of said turnover. 

The problem I have with the latter camp is this:

If Teddy is truly subpar and play calling is only a representation of his skill set then why not place blame on staff/management for charading him as someone who has what it takes to consistently lead this team to victory? That’s what we were fed this off-season. NO ONE in leadership of this new regime even slightly hinted at the fact that Teddy was a bridge (no pun intended) in the long term plans of this organization’s future. 

Point being, if your narrative is that Teddy isn’t cut out to win consistently in this league as a starter in Carolina then we first have to point the blame to the powers that ordained him in the first place. You can’t sing one’s praises while cursing the other. 

That’s just my humble opinion. 

Not sure how you came to this conclusion 

The management team, I’m sure with Brady and Rhule’s input, made the decision to move on from Cam and get a Bridgewater.    

Teddy is what he is and that is why NO moved on from him. Let’s just face it   With Brees retiring, they didn’t keep Teddy...they got Winston. 

not having CMC, plus having film of Brady’s and Bridgewater now, tells the tale. Going horizontally against NFL defenses is seldom going to work continuously without a deep ball or at least the threat of it. 

im sure Teddy is a nice guy but there are no participation trophies or Mr congeniality awards in the nfl. 

1 minute ago, KSpan said:

To your point about being in a 'third camp' why did you not put that in your OP? That's the camp that pretty much everyone is in, myself included. Improve the team but don't rule out upgrading QB as well.

No one is saying that Teddy and the offense should be scoring 50 every game but how in the world do you watch his performance the end of the last 4 weeks and the second half of this week and see anything at all promising? 2 scores down, 6 minutes, and checkdowns? Just like last week against KC? Just weak.

Last year he looked exactly like he did in Minnesota but with a better offensive mind, and this year has been more of the exact same but with lesser coaching. There are little to no unknowns left.

The point of the OP was to bring light to the hypocrisy that is singing praises for the group who touted Bridgewater as “the guy” if you as a critic think he is not “the guy.”

I’m still neutral on TB. Not convinced he’s the next elite QB but I do think it’s possible to win with him as QB1 and certainly wouldn’t trade the house for a high draft pick prospect like many on here would.

Just now, therealmjl said:

Didn’t mention Cam in this thread? Why are you bringing him up?

This would be the first thread in a while if you didn’t. I’m bringing it up because the thread was aimed at folks who have no basis for why we can’t win with TB as QB. Most are still hurt about Cam’s release and as much as it sucked to see that chapter end I can separate my bias from our current QB situation. 

6 minutes ago, WarHeel said:

This would be the first thread in a while if you didn’t. I’m bringing it up because the thread was aimed at folks who have no basis for why we can’t win with TB as QB. Most are still hurt about Cam’s release and as much as it sucked to see that chapter end I can separate my bias from our current QB situation. 

K. Great thread.

It’s funny to hear the narrative today that poor Joe Brady can’t run the offense he wants to run because of Teddy’s limitations...as if Brady didn’t clearly seek out Teddy as his QB lol.

That’s like in 2019 being like “Well let’s give Rivera a pass this season...it wasn’t his fault our defense sucked, it was Eric Washington’s fault”.

Archived