• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

QB Conundrum

WarHeel

By now you’ve likely found yourself in one of two camps regarding our current QB situation. 

Some believe Teddy’s is doing about as well as anyone would do under the circumstances of starting with a fresh system, depleted line, injuries to your best weapon. 

The other side claims that he is subpar or certainly not a franchise QB due to the fact that he can only dink and dunk, isn’t clutch, etc. These folks typically use language that suggests the coaching staff is forced to call plays that fit Teddy’s abilities or lack-thereof. This narrative typically ignores the notion of subpar protection from the offensive line, defensive woes, learning curve in a new system with the most turned-over roster in the NFL, etc. All the while touting how great our coaching staff has been in the process of said turnover. 

The problem I have with the latter camp is this:

If Teddy is truly subpar and play calling is only a representation of his skill set then why not place blame on staff/management for charading him as someone who has what it takes to consistently lead this team to victory? That’s what we were fed this off-season. NO ONE in leadership of this new regime even slightly hinted at the fact that Teddy was a bridge (no pun intended) in the long term plans of this organization’s future. 

Point being, if your narrative is that Teddy isn’t cut out to win consistently in this league as a starter in Carolina then we first have to point the blame to the powers that ordained him in the first place. You can’t sing one’s praises while cursing the other. 

That’s just my humble opinion. 

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

The contract screams bridge. All the interest in Herbert screams bridge. It's not like you're ever gonna sign a guy and come out and say, "Well, this is our guy until we can find someone who is actually good. Sorry."

It’s not like it’s a 1 year deal. For all we know the Herbert talk was smokescreen. 

Correct me if I’m wrong but Patriots staff inferred that the former MVP Cam Newton had to win an open competition for QB1 in NE against a couple of on-fire garbage cans. Whether that was BS or not they didn’t just outright say “this is our guy.” So it is plausible for staff to be somewhat neutral in their speech regarding player leadership. 

My “humble” opinion is the team never should have signed him in the first place. Never liked him even when he was with the Saints and Vikings. A better O-line isn’t going to to make him a better passer and he isn’t going to change his game, ever. 
All will happen is he will have more time to hit short or intermediate throws. Look at the Saints when he started. Way better O-line and he still did mostly checkdowns and short passes with the occasional easy deep throw. 
Teddy is a QB that is elevated by the team around him. I don’t want that. I want a QB that can elevate the offense and push the ball down the field. Not throw freaking checkdowns with 16 seconds left. 

2 minutes ago, WarHeel said:

It’s not like it’s a 1 year deal. For all we know the Herbert talk was smokescreen. 

Correct me if I’m wrong but Patriots staff inferred that the former MVP Cam Newton had to win an open competition for QB1 in NE against a couple of on-fire garbage cans. Whether that was BS or not they didn’t just outright say “this is our guy.” So it is plausible for staff to be somewhat neutral in their speech regarding player leadership. 

Teddy signed a three year $60M contract (that's easily voidable after two years). Cam signed something like a $1M deal. Huge difference there. Teddy's contract screams stopgap starter.

8 minutes ago, WarHeel said:

Cam was signed to a 1 yr incentive-laden low-cost deal so that speaks for itself. Teddy's contract absolutely says bridge or 'prove it'. 

Your overall premise is also incorrect in that most Teddy critics don't care what this staff has done since Teddy is gonna Teddy no matter what, just like he did in NO and in Minnesota. Do you or anyone else really think the alleged mastermind of Burrow and that LSU air attack came to the NFL just to try to penny and nickel away at defenses? If he did then he, Teddy, Rhule, and anyone else involved are in well over their heads

3 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Teddy signed a three year $60M contract (that's easily voidable after two years). Cam signed something like a $1M deal. Huge difference there. Teddy's contract screams stopgap starter.

I think the contract exudes more confidence than lack there of. 

5 minutes ago, TLGPanthersFan said:

My “humble” opinion is the team never should have signed him in the first place. Never liked him even when he was with the Saints and Vikings. A better O-line isn’t going to to make him a better passer and he isn’t going to change his game, ever. 
All will happen is he will have more time to hit short or intermediate throws. Look at the Saints when he started. Way better O-line and he still did mostly checkdowns and short passes with the occasional easy deep throw. 
Teddy is a QB that is elevated by the team around him. I don’t want that. I want a QB that can elevate the offense and push the ball down the field. Not throw freaking checkdowns with 16 seconds left. 

I agree with this sentiment. I thought the Panthers should have either kept Cam or rolled with Kyle Allen and planned to suck it up to get a QB in 2021. Bridgewater is good enough to win enough games to take us out of the running for the top QBs. Panthers will have to trade up to get a top QB in the draft now. 

1 minute ago, KSpan said:

Cam was signed to a 1 yr incentive-laden low-cost deal so that speaks for itself. Teddy's contract absolutely says bridge or 'prove it'. 

Your overall premise is also incorrect for n that most Teddy critics don't care what this staff has done since Teddy is goinna Teddy no matter just like he did in NO and in Minnesota. Do you or anyone else really think the alleged mastermind of Burrow and that LSU air attack came to the NFL just to try to penny and nickel away at defenses? If he did then then he, Teddy, Rhule, and anyone else involved are in well over their heads.

Y’all keep bringing up his 5-0 record in New Orleans and his open ended tenure in MN prior to a would be career ending injury for most like it proves anything other than the jury is still out. 

3 minutes ago, WarHeel said:

I think the contract exudes more confidence than lack there of. 

If they were confident in him he would have gotten more money or more years. It’s a show me contract. As far as why not blame coaches... do you want them to say “hey we don’t have too much here but we will try to make it competitive”?

8 minutes ago, TLGPanthersFan said:

I appreciate your sentiments regarding the signing. But again, the guy was 5-0 in NO. He was winning, so one could argue he had something there he doesn’t have here.

2 minutes ago, Varking said:

If they were confident in him he would have gotten more money or more years. It’s a show me contract. As far as why not blame coaches... do you want them to say “hey we don’t have too much here but we will try to make it competitive”?

That’s essentially what Tepper inferred in that it’ll be a 5 year process. I’m paraphrasing but he at least had the balls to call it like it is. 

Archived